I want to get elected!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pyrosx said:
This... bothers me. Maybe it's just late...

First - I don't believe that there actually is a lack of peer reviewed science on the efficacy of marine parks. A cursory google scholar search backs this up, even without reading into the papers too far - there's A LOT of them.

Second - do you have evidence to back your "more harm than good claim"? You can't make whatever claim you like with the justification that "there's no science" (unless you're a religion...)
pyrosx said:
This... bothers me. Maybe it's just late...

First - I don't believe that there actually is a lack of peer reviewed science on the efficacy of marine parks. A cursory google scholar search backs this up, even without reading into the papers too far - there's A LOT of them.

Second - do you have evidence to back your "more harm than good claim"? You can't make whatever claim you like with the justification that "there's no science" (unless you're a religion...)
when ningaloo reef was under commonwealth control there was two sets of fishing rules for the area. anglers would be penalized for a gaff, treble hooks and multiple hooks even they were just passing through park to other fishing grounds. yes anglers were penalized too. it wasn't till the marine park was back under state control that those irregularities were removed and anglers didn't have to worry what was in there tackle boxes .

the current marine parks saga has a lot misinformation going around and all groups are worthy. Pew group, SOML, fishing groups and the environment minister too.

its late and i will seek the information to support my claims.

Look forward to it. Definitely a solid contender to contribute to social and economic policy as it currently stands though.

Vote 1 ORP.

Where are you guys directing your preferences?

Manticle if elected we will work on them no doubt. if elected i will stand my ground on the current marine park issue. angler lock outs should be an absolute last result. I'm not going to do a labor back flip with no carbon tax and then bring it in.

i bet labor and liberals and other parties will review there policies if they get elected or not.

are there som policies that you would like more explanation of? i will gladly get that for you.

Pretty much all of the ones on the website could be elaborated upon. Additionally your policies on gay marriage, healthcare, climate change, disability, mental health, indigenous issues including health, economic management, refugee intake/detention/resettlement, education, arts and defence would be some of the issues that both myself and a large number of voters would be interested in.

Peference in the upper housr will go to the LDP firstly and work the way down from there with liberal then labor and greens last.

I know i have focused a lot on w.a. and not the rest of Australia. I live in the south west were jobs are hard to find. this time last year i was almost given a redundancy because of the housing market being stagnant. the high aussie dollar making imported timber more viable and its upsetting that it took another company folding to save my job. we should be focusing on keeping manufacturing, milling and our food industries viable.

tis what i will be discussing with the party after this election about making sure that Australia is still manufacturing long term and not just short term too.

manticle said:
Pretty much all of the ones on the website could be elaborated upon. Additionally your policies on gay marriage, healthcare, climate change, disability, mental health, indigenous issues including health, economic management, refugee intake/detention/resettlement, education, arts and defence would be some of the issues that both myself and a large number of voters would be interested in.
manticle i would suggest looking at LDP for those. The ORP are mainly focussed on your outdoor activities.

although i will relay your questions to peter whelann ORP president.

didn't the coalition announce that their preference votes would go to labour ?

that will stop the greens, good stategic move i reckon

This is an awesome country. But **** me, the politicians and contenders are total knobs! Not just their policies, but the lack of interest in real issues or actually improving anyone's lot. They advertise more on raising welfare payments than they do about what hard actions they are prepared to take to make jobs, raise national skill levels, productivity. Mr big ears maggot just spews whatever his sponsors feed him. It's probably because this place is so good basically that we can afford to have such fuckwit pollies.

manticle said:
Let's vote for the bogan arsehole party.

Somehow not being able to shoot shit for fun is a gross violation of human rights but wanting to wed your life partner is a first world problem. Supporting and funding health care, education, small business and the environment is lunacy but condemning genuine
refugees to life in an impoverished nation after months/years of detention is sane, fiscally responsible government.
Pinko.

Being an environmentalist and ex-zoologist (where I was involved in some of the studies of marine parks around the Perth area), with no interest in cars, shooting or fishing, I have to say that I'm almost totally against all the ORP policies. But good on you for standing up for what you believe in. And good on you for discussing policies on here in a calm, sensible manner.

Just shows some are strong enough to get off there backside and try do something instead of listening to the major parties crap..

good work fish. somebody needs to stop these insane extreme greens.

I have done a lot of work in regards to marine parks and I can say much of the science is funded by ENGOs and is made up bullshit.
Nearly all of the reports on how good MPAs are come from areas with little to none fisheries management before MPAs were put in place. Marine parks do little to nothing to address the real threats to the marine environment such as pollution.
Australia has some of the worlds best managed fisheries yet overseas interests are pushing to lock up our Economic exclusion zone from fisheries extraction seriously denting our export industry. Something like 80-90% of submissions supporting marine parks came from overseas internet users.
Mining is still allowed with in marine parks which is no wonder considering the major ENGO behind the push is PEW charitable trust who made most of their money from oil. Films like the end of the line are propaganda tools directly funded by PEW. Research the Boris/Worm et al report which is what kicked of much of the push for MPAs to find out that its lies funded by PEW. But shit its peer reviewed and published in one of the major magazines. Don't believe every thing you read and hear. This amongst other things is a brain washing scam and Australias fishing practices are sustainable.
I have shitloads of info for anyone who wants it.
I see this along with a few other things this govt has done as industrial sabotage. Primary industries export dollars are the engine room of our economy and this govt has shit on nearly all sectors.
I used to think I was green until I saw all the lies these groups use to influence and brainwash the masses, now I believe very little unless it is supported by undeniable facts. Theoretical science, computer modelling and predictions have no credibility with me.
I know Manticle will probably be the first to try and cut me down so heres a question for him to think about. Why is it so hard to believe that co2 is plant food yet a gas (co2) that makes up 0.038% of our atmosphere is 1.67 time heavier than air, has less thermal insulating properties than water vapour (which makes up a large portion of our atmosphere) can **** with our climate so much?
I am not in complete denial but do need facts, yes co2 levels have quadrupled since the 60s but at less than 0.1 of a percent I struggle to see how it can make such an influence. If you can link recent warming trends directly to co2 emisions I would like to see it (seriously).
I am off to buy some flame proof undies or a whole suit.

This is a pretty good discussion:

http://scienceblogs.com/illconsidered/2008/10/what-is-the-evidence-that-co2/

The key point is that...

CO2 is a radiatively active gas that allows the shortwave (visible) radiation from the sun into the climate system and slows that same energy down on its way out as longwave (infrared) radiation
Quoting small percentages (0.038%) isn't an argument against CO2 contributions to global warming. Small percentages of critical elemt\nts can make substantial changes in the environment. Just look at heavy metals, radioactive substances, etc. But it's a fair question.

mash head said:
I am not in complete denial but do need facts, yes co2 levels have quadrupled since the 60s but at less than 0.1 of a percent I struggle to see how it can make such an influence. If you can link recent warming trends directly to co2 emisions I would like to see it (seriously).
I am off to buy some flame proof undies or a whole suit.
Are you a climate scientist? Why is your opinion more valid than 97% of climate scientists? (http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/8/2/024024/article)

This would be like me "not believing" in GPS because I don't believe that time slows down at high speeds (Einsteins General Relativity).

Good on you for giving it a go Fish.

I'm all for the great outdoors, fishing, four wheel driving, camping and the like. It's a huge part of the lifestyles of people who have grown up in the country and other less urban areas. The majority of people who enjoy these pastimes also do them with the most utmost respect towards the environment so they can continue to do them into the future. Sure you still get your bogans who couldn't give a f#ck but you'll always have those that won't play by the rules. Most anglers obey bag limits and legal sizing. Hunters use the utmost care to ensure a clean kill as has been done for thousands of years. Four wheel drivers stick to tracks and employ tree protectors when winching. Campers put out campfires and remove their rubbish. To label them all redneck hillbillies with no regard for the environment gives me the shits as most of these people do more for their environment than the hypocrites who spew shite from the comfort of a 10th floor inner city apartment. There's a myriad of TV shows on channel 31 nowadays relating to these pastimes and if you can show me a single one that doesn't display a great level of care towards what they do then I'll eat my hat.

I admire the Greens for their principles and see the necessity for this type of party but they always seem to be so extreme and overzealous in their ideals. I have lived and worked on farms for a good portion of my life and can say that the people who live and work on the land generally have a better idea on how to look after it than urbanites and treechangers. Banning something outright doesn't work ( alpine grazing for example) but regulating it can.

I can't say I agree with a lot the ORP's policies but it's good to see someone taking a stand for their rights.

My 2c.

As far as I know the greenies have never run the country and you are going to give your preference to the party that changed the gun laws. Unless you are head of a corporation mister Abott will bend you over and do you harder than his wife.
Because of some percieved threat you are going to throw your weight behind a party that will **** you over. good on ya bloke **** our country so we can go fishing.

Thanks for perceiving my concerns as a push the bad old days .

we support smart greens not extremist greens. no way did i promote reckless driving and shooting. if that is how you perceive my ideals and the policies then good you go back to the shed and drink yourself stupid.

my objective in doing this to get people to think seriously about there upperhouse vote. i even told manticle that i would get those policies expanded upon. nope chose to label me a drink driving can throwing shooting maniac.

Thanks to those who see why i am doing and those who wish me well and telling the party is not for them.

mods lock the thread.

mash head said:
Irrespective of whether you believe in climate change or not (I do, and have had the privilege of sitting in some excellent lectures delivered by Prof. Dave Griggs recently) surely it can't be a bad thing if we try and reduce our reliance on energy sources that are not only dirty but cut great scars into areas of pristine wilderness and are a finite source of energy.

I think it is a shame none of the pollies have got the bollocks to encourage serious and innovative R&D into efficient and renewable energy. Mining and the jobs it creates are important, but so are future generations who are going to have to try to clean up the god awful mess we've made.

Good on you Fish, all the best for the election.

Latest posts

Back