I stuffed up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregos

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've just finished brewing a double batch of Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale, one final check after cubing it ,I realised I only put a single batch worth of hops in,
Question? can I correct with dry hopping? or does anyone have any other helpful ideas?what will the brew be like? this is the first batch of this recipe I've done.post boil gravity is 1045

Cheers
Grego

You won't be able to increase the bitterness, without actually doing a boil of some seperate liquor including hops and then adding that to the rest. You can up the dry hopping quantities, but all you'll do is increase aroma (not a bad thing)

Hey Grego,

A few things you can do, although, with NS, I am sure it will be a drinkable brew anyway, just not the hoppiness you were after...

First thing you could do is; French press and steep the equivalent/calculated amount of hops in a coffee plunger and leave them steep for 20 minutes or so and add to FV at pitching. Obviously, separated if you are fermenting each cube in a 30L FV or all in a 60L

2nd; Just go all dry, you will be amazed how much 'flavour' a heavy dose of dry hopping will add to a beer.

But over all you have missed a little bitterness, only way to add that is do a mini boil and add, as above.

Hope it helps.

What IBU were you chasing Gregos. If you have just cubed it you could add some hops to the cubes whilst they are still hot, that will add bitterness. Make sure they are still hot and push any air out before recapping, then lay it on its side. Other option would be isohop and dry hop.

Hey thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated, this was my first attempt at a double batch, lessons to be learned by me.
I no chill, and it was only 10mins after I cubed that I asked for advice, I decided to rush back open my cubes and at the additional hops to both of them, I made sure I got all the air out and laid them on the side,so the handle got the heat, as normal practice, Hopefully brew will be ok.

Thanks again guys, all on this site make brewing even more pleasurable by just sharing your knowledge and experiences .

Last time I stuffed up deviated from the plan I discovered a new recipe for a mild ale :D

You sir may have just created something beautifully unique.

I would have drawn off a few litres before I put it in the fermenter and done a boil with it.

Hope it turns awsome for you.

I'm with some of the above posters and think it'll be alright as is, albeit not as intended. Flavour and aroma issues seem to be well covered with previous posts but if you're still worried about the bitterness you could always try a little isohop. I've never used it so you'd have to ask others for advice on how much to use, but my impression is it's potent stuff so be careful.

Latest posts

Back