I know what you brewed last summer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just kegged 2 kegs of hefe have part of a keg of Munich lager pouring nicely and another batch cold crashing, have. Cascade and Amarillo pale ale on tap as well as an English IPA and a keg of that naturally carbing out if the keezer. Also have a Christmas porter fermenting and a few cubes of pale ale ready to go.

Next brews will be some light, hoppy pale ales and saisons to keep supply flowing. Who needs temp control when you have a good saison yeast!

Les the Weizguy said:
RIS Assessment / RIS management?
Kilo and a half of Raspberries into a 10lt batch.. Its gunna be a tart mo fo... calling it Sucker Punch for the X-Mas crowd at the FIL's :party: (+ the barrel aged whisky RIS naturally)

:super:

oh.. and some AIPA for the MIL and myself... mmmmm Simcoe :icon_drunk:

er... and a NZPA... er.. and an APA...

Tweaking a previous succesful saison recipe with some orange peel and coriander seeds.

Les the Weizguy said:
RIS Assessment / RIS management?
You have to assess and manage your RISks...

Saison, wheat, pils and toasty APA's (not those laced with Crystal 120) have always worked well for me. My pockets are empty this year and my planning is poor. All I have is a bunch of hefeweizen's and I'm brewing dunkels too late. :( Tears in the beers...

Les the Weizguy said:
Rocker, larger batches is your solution, brew less often, and still keep stocks to satisfy the daily needs, lager or otherwise.

40 litres of Kölsch for Summer, being kegged this evening. 44 litres of Dampfbier next into the fermentor. Both styles are top thirst quenchers.
Cream ale next to be brewed.
Unfortunately I don't have the space to be able to brew bigger batches and have them temperature controlled - and I'm not a fan of beer styles fermented higher. My brew fridge fits a 30L fermenter but a 60L one would be too big for it. If I did though, I'd definitely be brewing bigger batches. Maybe one day in another house. :lol:

danestead said:
I've got an experiment in the fermenter as we speak. It is a Munich Helles fermented with Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager II. I wanted to see if I could turn around a lager in the same time as an ale (2-3 weeks) without losing much or any quality at all. It is 6 days since pitching and has gone from 1.049 - 1.016 so far. I expect it will be at FG in the next day or 2. So call it 2 weeks total to get to FG, a few days for the yeast to clean up then a few days to chill it. Obviously I don't know the quality of the final product as yet as this is the first time I've tried this.

The things I've done to achieve this are pitching double the recommended amount of yeast for a lager. In this case it was about 800b cells for a 21L batch. I'm also following 'Tasty's Quick Lager Method'. The first 3 days were fermented at 12 degrees and since then I have set the temperature to increase at 1 deg per day until it is at 18 degrees.
I use the Brulosopher's quick lager method on mine and usually go from pitching to keg/bottle in about 4 weeks. Usually at FG in about 8-9 days, few days to let the yeast clean up then a couple of weeks chilled. When I have a good stockpile it's fine and I usually alternate between an ale and a lager each batch, but at the moment I need kegs filled faster and I'm on holidays in about two weeks so that'll dent the stocks a bit too. :chug: I'll be interested to see how this experiment of yours turns out though. If it works well I might even give it a go myself to see how it goes. B)

Prep' for summer:
2 Lagers brewed over winter (@danestead, fermented with S189 @ 16°C over 2 & 1 weeks respectively, tasting great!)
Just bottled 2 hoppy ones, Amber & IPA.
About to ferment out a S&W Pacific Ale clone
Possibly also squeeze out a Celtic Red in the next week (as a starter for a Wee Heavy in Jan).

Come January, it's Saison Season!!
Nothing beats Saisons for hot summer drinking... plus APAs, Ambers, IPAs, Reds ... and maybe a lager or 2.

Did a big batch of saison last week.

On tap will be

Rye pale ale
Cider
Saison
IPA
Left over punch - lime ginger cider and spiced rum .

Also going to make a small keg of elderflower saison. Using the left of syrup from one of those elderflower jars the girls put in in the bubbles.

Best bitter currently 3 weeks old..

Belgian pale ale 1 week old

Weizen 3 days old

5 bottles left of a Northern english brown 4 months old, I've never left a decent beer this long so I'm keen to see what it tastes like over the holidays!

Currently fermenting a Saison....

And after I move house, I will be having a crack at my first lager. I had a bottle of Heineken the other day cos I remembered it being a pretty nice beer but was underwhelmed, so will probably do a marzen or something nice and malty...

I tend to lean towards lighter shades of beers come summer. APA, IPA, will always have an ESB on hand and will prob give Pils and Hefe a run.

Matplat said:
I had a bottle of Heineken the other day cos I remembered it being a pretty nice beer but was underwhelmed, so will probably do a marzen or something nice and malty...
I like to think of it as slightly beery water

Decided to get on the German beer trend with a hefeweizen and dunkelweizen to go down this weekend

Mostly because I wanted a something where I could split one packet of yeast because I'm cheap....oh and style of the week

Just tried a bottle of my brown ale, hoping for something fantastic.... and it turned out to be a gusher :( didn't taste anywhere near as good as it did at 1 month old... i hope the last 4 aren't the same...

Cream Ale drinking now and for next weeks case swap (is orright too) Belgian Pale Ale a week old in the bottle and seems to be one to come up nicely, Azacca Saison in the fermenter, and a American Wheat going down on Monday. Followed by a Coffee RIS to be bottled and set aside for 5/6 months.

Back