Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynnum1

Reaction score
Would it be more accurate to dilute wort say 3 parts water to 1 part wort in a measured vessel and use a hydometer with a limited range say to 1025 and then calulate for a true reading .

I wouldn't have thought so. If you're a bit out with your wort/water ratio your results go out the window.
Why do you need to be so accurate anyway? Within a point or 2 is all I worry about. Temperature is also a variable so you'd have to measure this accurately as well.

Wouldn't this actually make your calculation less accurate anyway? If your hydrometer is accurate to one point and you dilute to 1/4 strength, a 1 point error in your diluted mixture is equivalent to a 4 point error in the original???

Your hydromitor would be more accurate as it has a limited range

I get where he's coming from. I have done this kind of things when doing chemical calculations at the swimming pool.

I certainly wouldn't bother with my beer hydro sample though. The limited range hydros you can get are usually cheap and not any more accurate than a regular hydro. Plus hydro samples are on a curve, and so calculations would be a bit tricky (ie 1025 isn't half 1050). I'm not sure how you'd work that out.

Latest posts

Back