Husky's Full Stainless Automated(partial) BIAB RIMS Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you (still) need help with some PID stuff - including how everything is calculated and tuning - I am happy to help you out.

Adr_0 said:
If you (still) need help with some PID stuff - including how everything is calculated and tuning - I am happy to help you out.
Thanks for the offer mate I think I have it sorted. Rockwell had a PID function block that I downloaded and have managed to get it running. The bit that ended up taking a while was the program to ramp and hold the setpoint. I have this working now so just need to get the brewery finished now so I can tune the loop. I'm now going through adding different screens to the HMI and extra functionality as I think of things that might help on brew day such as the ability to hold timers, manually enter temp setpoints, mash temp trends etc.

Rockwell/Allen Bradley are pretty solid and as you know there are all sorts of PID blocks (with preset P, I, D values or where you can input from a custom screen), timers and alarms as well. Again, awesome setup and hopefully you get many hours of giggles and many good beers. Super impressed. :)

husky said:
Thanks for the offer mate I think I have it sorted.
Understatement of the century!

husky said:
the main thing is that all lines are purged with argon prior to welding and the joins are fused only with no filler wire.
That's interesting - do you mean its like tig with no rod?

Edit: Nah cant be, whats the process called?

Mr B said:
That's interesting - do you mean its like tig with no rod?

Edit: Nah cant be, whats the process called?
Yep, it's tig welded but no filler wire used for the process lines. The material at the join is fused, no additional material(filler) required at the join. The frame for example where the joins are fillet welds use filler wire.

Mardoo said:
How about building DJ_L3ThAL a jacketed, temp-controlled self-contained fermentation system - perhaps with improvements to the conical fermenter - as your next project? I'd love to see what you'd do with that.
FTFY.

husky, you are inspirational!

Making the most of a sudden burst of motivation, and some late nights in the shed. Gear tray being assembled as far as I can until I get up to some components that I am still waiting on.

20150825_225509_resized.jpg

Hopefully ends up looking like this:

Gear Tray1.JPG

Yeah that's pretty much how I would have done it too...

I need a drip tray under my chin after reading this thread...

I'm not going to call this inspirational, 'cos it's just way too far out of my league. Just seriously good shit. Good work!

Hello again, where'd ya get the heating element from mate? apols if I missed this cheers

droid said:
Hello again, where'd ya get the heating element from mate? apols if I missed this cheers
Hey mate, the elements were made by Megawatt in Sommerville. Could have used a U bend it type from one of the other suppliers however I was very specific in what I wanted. I don't think it was that expensive either maybe $250ish can't find the invoice. I also had these guys make up some replacement keg king elements with a much better electrical connection to stop them going bang.
These coiled elements are around 45kw/m2 when operating at full power. The PLC however will be controlling the voltage to the heater so it can run lower power during the mash, will likely only use 5kw during ramp from mash to boil.

http://www.megawattheatingelements.com.au/contents/en-us/contactus.html

Heater Element - Megawatt.JPG

Heater Element GA - Megawatt.JPG

Thankyou, the coil type really looks the go for the kettle and whirl-pooling, cheers

husky said:
More playing around with the PLC and programming tonight. Have got both the wort the temperatures coming in now and performing some calculations. I will measure the wort temp in two locations and then average them for the PID loop CV.
I have a trend running on wort temp so at the end of a brew I can save the temp profile which might come in handy if I try replicate a mash profile one day.
Will also trend the cooling water in and out temps to easily pick the point where no more cooling is occurring, then use a solenoid valve to shut the cooling water supply off.
Not sure if you've thought of it, or if it would even be an issue.
If one of your temp sensors fail and reads minimum the element will drive to 100% power. If not monitored it probably wouldn't end well. If it fails to maximum the element would go off.
You should be able to monitor for wire breaks or shorts. AB may even do it already

Good luck and have fun
Oh and make lots of comments in the code

Waiting for the remaining electrical components so sorted out the mash equipment today. Flexi hose in tangential return with an elbow to direct return wort over the element as well as a flexi connection to top of grain bed wort return. Plan is to use the two valves to regulate flow to each, as much as the bed will handle to the top and the rest to below grain bed and across heater. The inner basket should allow a good 9-10kg kg grain with the current length of the legs keeping it above the element.
Mounted the HMI in the control panel door as well.

20150829_163519.jpg

20150829_163536.jpg

20150829_163543.jpg

20150829_163551.jpg

20150829_163711.jpg

20150829_164645.jpg

20150829_164921.jpg

20150829_164926.jpg

20150829_164935.jpg

20150829_164945.jpg

Is that silicone hose your draw-off for the pump?

Adr_0 said:
Is that silicone hose your draw-off for the pump?
Thats wort return beneath geain bed on mash only. Comes out after mash

Latest posts

Back