Huh?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never was a good idea in the first place. Just an ego trip of one individual ruined a completely good, active forum. This one. I am not saying it now the horse has bolted, I spoke out against it 5 years ago.

A message went up on the board at New Years that the moderators were closing it on Jan 3 and to save any info/threads before then. I think it was just the cost of running a board plus effort vs reward.

Is that right?
Kind of lazy. Perhaps a group e mail would have had more outreach.
As someone who has taken way more in terms of advice then they've given, would have been nice to have said thanks, for what its worth.
A shame, but inevitable.

Do you think it will return again?
And banned members can use the contact us link at the bottom of the page if they would want to be considered to have the ban lifted.
No promises, it would be on a case by case basis.

I doubt it will return. As best as I can tell, it was the financial cost of running it with probably insufficient backing via sponsorship or member contributions which led to the decision.
There has been a Facebook page set up to take its place to the extent that it can replace a forum.
I'm sure some past members might wish to accept the offer to return here, which is a welcome gesture.

There are plenty forum member still giving advice WEAL. Do you see many questions go unanswered on here?

There are new members but I think they find most of what they need to know is already covered on here and elsewhere these days. I would bet most new brewers find all they need to know without joining.

Years ago there was a lot more to discuss amongst members, like building your own brewery or keezer etc. These days all you need to do is decide whether you buy everything from KK or KL. Then just make sure you ferment under pressure and never ever allow oxygen near your brew from fermenter to keg.
And stick a kitten in the airlock for good measure.

Excellent.
Bulk buy then?
I could use a new clock too.

That is pretty funny:

Aussie Craft Brewer.jpg

Online forums are competing with other forms of media, namely YouTube and Facebook it seems. forums used to be the leader in online knowledge sharing, and took over - in part - other forms of media (i.e. newspapers and magazines). I don't like it because I'm old and cantankerous now and live in the past, but you can't beat good old-fashioned face-to-face meetups which is still a huge benefit of these forums. COVID-19 seemed to beat the social element out of us so now we're stuck with old friends like a schoolyard who catch up and wonder "why isn't anyone else here?".
I'm quite bummed the old forum shut down. It was a financial decision but also the participation was falling off. Admin's comments are very welcome above, but I doubt many (if any) will return because there are reasons they left and have different principles to me.

That is pretty funny:

View attachment 124139

Online forums are competing with other forms of media, namely YouTube and Facebook it seems. forums used to be the leader in online knowledge sharing, and took over - in part - other forms of media (i.e. newspapers and magazines). I don't like it because I'm old and cantankerous now and live in the past, but you can't beat good old-fashioned face-to-face meetups which is still a huge benefit of these forums. COVID-19 seemed to beat the social element out of us so now we're stuck with old friends like a schoolyard who catch up and wonder "why isn't anyone else here?".
I'm quite bummed the old forum shut down. It was a financial decision but also the participation was falling off. Admin's comments are very welcome above, but I doubt many (if any) will return because there are reasons they left and have different principles to me.
Well, I asked more than once the reason for a breakaway forum and never got a satisfactory answer. The way I see it is Brad thought he could make a better forum, but never got a reply that made any sense! Australian Craft Brewers had been formed well before the mass migration! Did he think he was going to make money from the forum? Or was it just purely an ego trip?
Whatever, he failed. Another natural-born loser, but the biggest losers are the losers who followed him!
Pretty obvious with the incursions that followed of those who were banned. If a forum was sound then what is the reason for incursions to a forum that was abandoned for a new forum, and there were many?
Home Brew Talk, Homebrew Forum UK hasn't declined due to Facebook pages so that excuse goes out the window.\
Brads ego got the better of him and he fucked up nothing more nothing less.

Latest posts

Back