Huh?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think it will return again?
And banned members can use the contact us link at the bottom of the page if they would want to be considered to have the ban lifted.
No promises, it would be on a case by case basis.

FWIW, I was in contact with a former very knowledgeable and popular veteran AHB member.
If the shabbiness with which he was treated is indicative of the way admin handled other members, who objectively contributed much knowledge over the years, then I wouldn't expect your inbox to be flooded with cap in hand ex-AHB'ers seeking to have their accounts re opened any time soon - to say the least.

Many of these people were the forum. In my opinion, its incumbent admin to get about hatchet burying, not them.

Just my opinion.

Well, I asked more than once the reason for a breakaway forum and never got a satisfactory answer. The way I see it is Brad thought he could make a better forum, but never got a reply that made any sense! Australian Craft Brewers had been formed well before the mass migration! Did he think he was going to make money from the forum? Or was it just purely an ego trip?
Whatever, he failed. Another natural-born loser, but the biggest losers are the losers who followed him!
Pretty obvious with the incursions that followed of those who were banned. If a forum was sound then what is the reason for incursions to a forum that was abandoned for a new forum, and there were many?
Home Brew Talk, Homebrew Forum UK hasn't declined due to Facebook pages so that excuse goes out the window.\
Brads ego got the better of him and he fucked up nothing more nothing less.

That may be the way you see it but that it is not as simple as that. Maybe he did think he could make a better forum but I won't allege that. But I am confident that was not why he set up *** (hopefully that won't get censored). Some of the behaviour of members at that time deserved a ban, some did not. And I will go on record saying those who followed were not losers just like those who stayed were not. There are outliers in all groups, statistically with <15000 members here some are about.
This is a public forum and I was told certain things in confidence so there's no way I'll air them out here. Perhaps we will cross paths at a swap and share one of my sub-par ales, in which case we can talk about that and more importantly what it is that made my beer so average after all these years brewing.

Trying to think of something useful and productive to say, but lacking the energy and willingness here. This place just isn't what is used to be and certain members on here certainly highlight that loud and clear each time I login and have a browse.

RIP Homebrewing forum culture :-(

Trying to think of something useful and productive to say, but lacking the energy and willingness here. This place just isn't what is used to be and certain members on here certainly highlight that loud and clear each time I login and have a browse.

RIP Homebrewing forum culture :-(
R.I.P!

Well, I asked more than once the reason for a breakaway forum and never got a satisfactory answer. The way I see it is Brad thought he could make a better forum, but never got a reply that made any sense! Australian Craft Brewers had been formed well before the mass migration! Did he think he was going to make money from the forum? Or was it just purely an ego trip?
Whatever, he failed. Another natural-born loser, but the biggest losers are the losers who followed him!
Pretty obvious with the incursions that followed of those who were banned. If a forum was sound then what is the reason for incursions to a forum that was abandoned for a new forum, and there were many?
Home Brew Talk, Homebrew Forum UK hasn't declined due to Facebook pages so that excuse goes out the window.\
Brads ego got the better of him and he fucked up nothing more nothing less.
Looser reply well done

That may be the way you see it but that it is not as simple as that. Maybe he did think he could make a better forum but I won't allege that. But I am confident that was not why he set up *** (hopefully that won't get censored). Some of the behaviour of members at that time deserved a ban, some did not. And I will go on record saying those who followed were not losers just like those who stayed were not. There are outliers in all groups, statistically with <15000 members here some are about.
This is a public forum and I was told certain things in confidence so there's no way I'll air them out here. Perhaps we will cross paths at a swap and share one of my sub-par ales, in which case we can talk about that and more importantly what it is that made my beer so average after all these years brewing.
No one would have been banned if they if they had just quietly signed up to the *** forum but the exodus didn't go like that. Those who were banned just had to go and poke the bear. And keep coming back for another poke!
'Loser's' was a bit provocative intentionally. Gullible would have been a better word. I just wanted to observe the reaction.
I asked more than once for the reasoning behind the forming of another forum without an adequate reply aside from Brad not getting along with Keith the forum owner.

Forum. That is a word that some people don't understand the meaning of, a place of discussion, an airing of different opinions. Not a place where members have to toe the line, get posts removed, and have the right to reply.
Didn't take *** long to take up the culture of taking up the above. Once that happens a forum of any kind is rooted, the same thing happened here, hardly surprising when two members of *** are made moderators.

A..C..B.. It no longer exists, and almost certainly won't do a phoenix and rise form its ashes, but has a relatively inactive FB page.
By the way, Keith was never the owner, but he was an administrator appointed by the owners.
I'm the only moderator on here for now, but my time is probably limited, as I'm well into retirement and not able to keep doing it indefinitely. Not that there is much to do lately, merely tidying up spelling etc in posts and topics, removing obvious spam membership requests, approving others, and not much else.

I'm brewing an APA tomorrow, my first brew since November last year. Don't know yet how I'll survive in my shed with the heat and humidity of the current Brisbane summer, but we'll see. The HLT is full, the malt weighed out and milled, so ready to go.

I call to those in the home brewers’ plight,
Who long ago left this plot,
And buggered off to that other site,
Where their hopes are now dashed and lost.

To now return where false hopes are fewer,
Where old jokers will smile at thee,
So come ye back you bloody brewers,
Come ye back to AHB.

Last edited:
A..C..B.. It no longer exists, and almost certainly won't do a phoenix and rise form its ashes, but has a relatively inactive FB page.
By the way, Keith was never the owner, but he was an administrator appointed by the owners.
I'm the only moderator on here for now, but my time is probably limited, as I'm well into retirement and not able to keep doing it indefinitely. Not that there is much to do lately, merely tidying up spelling etc in posts and topics, removing obvious spam membership requests, approving others, and not much else.

I'm brewing an APA tomorrow, my first brew since November last year. Don't know yet how I'll survive in my shed with the heat and humidity of the current Brisbane summer, but we'll see. The HLT is full, the malt weighed out and milled, so ready to go.
Pretty sure Brad told me Keith was the owner. I don't recall his surname but it was like Urban, obviously not that. Could have been Urbane when I looked him up on Linkedin came up as the owner of a number of forums including what was the biggest forum at the time, a four-wheel drive forum. He also invested in marijuana in California along with his brother if I remember rightly.
Angie was admin at the time of the split.

Pretty sure Brad told me Keith was the owner. I don't recall his surname but it was like Urban, obviously not that. Could have been Urbane when I looked him up on Linkedin came up as the owner of a number of forums including what was the biggest forum at the time, a four-wheel drive forum. He also invested in marijuana in California along with his brother if I remember rightly.
Angie was admin at the time of the split.
OK, I'll defer to your better knowledge!

Managed to brew my APA today, hit 91% mash efficiency for 1.039 SG, and post boil 1.050 OG into the fermenter, after 1½ hours solid boil to get the evaporation rate up to deal with today's humidity.. 24 litres of joyful drinking in the offing. Can't go wrong with Cascade, Citra and Mosaic in an APA, after all.

Three possibilities:

English isn't his first language.

He didn't go to school, or if he did then he didn't pay very much attention
Posted at 11.35pm :doofus:
OR . . . my long experience of life & brewing knows 'Looser' well known: I have been known a looser, on the way to become tight - like my FV becomes tight within an hour or two if I have been nice to the yeast . . .
wot is school ???

I would like to thank philrob for his efforts.

AHB is very lightly moderated and we all have been well served by philrob. It shits me to tears that someone who isn’t paid for his role cops the amount of BS sent his way,
In my experience philrob is an honest man who has been doing a thankless task for a long time. To basically keep calling him a liar when he says he isn’t deleting/banning/editing people and posts is pretty crappy thanks.

If you aren’t willing to step-up and do some work shut the F*** up.
Mark

AHB is very lightly moderated and we all have been well served by philrob. It shits me to tears that someone who isn’t paid for his role cops the amount of BS sent his way,
In my experience philrob is an honest man who has been doing a thankless task for a long time. To basically keep calling him a liar when he says he isn’t deleting/banning/editing people and posts is pretty crappy thanks.

Mark
Philrob has denied he was Warra48, yet on A..C..B confessed he was! Has he deleted posts or locked threads yes, and on his own admission. Philrob could be quite naive and following the directions of Grumpy Paul, who knows.
As I said before a forum is a platform to air opinions, just because they don't agree with yours there is no need to tell them to **** off.

Mark
AMEN!!

Bullshit! I had posts deleted, I had private conversations as to why, with one of the mod's, and his response was "I don't know"
Sorry Mark, I have the greatest respect for you, and you are one of the leading lights when it comes to to finer points of our hobby.
Philrob has been careless with the truth.
In other words he's been proven to be a piece of shiv, I know he's a friend of yours and so be it, but "it is what it is"

Latest posts

Back