Huh?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will miss weal. Yep they really know what they are doing the mod and administration team. Banning a member who was the most productive poster and kept the forum going after the exodus along with MHB myself and a few others. He got it back to being a busy forum with his bulk buys on malt, PRV's and the helix giving all the money he made to Children with Cancer. He shouldn't have turned down the mods position but said he couldn't be controversial as a mod and controversy is what makes people post. I have only just been allowed back after two years of being banned and I think that was so they could ask me for money.

That's what they did with me! Released from the dungeon only to be asked for money! Must be getting desperate, you never know they may ask Bum, Nick and WEAL back in the hope of getting some financial return.
Used to like the EOI thread, could do with one now for grain.

WEAL is here as wide eyed and legless. (scroll back a few posts).
I spoke to him today, his account has been suspended. Pretty low act after all he did for this forum in their time of need. When others were busy recruiting members from this forum to move over to another. But you know all about that.

I spoke to him today, his account has been suspended.
Don’t panic, WEAL will return. Account suspended is not a ban. Just time out in the naughty corner I believe?

Strange that philrob as moderator was not aware he had been suspended though, are you sure he was suspended from this forum?

This forum has been sanitised.
Open and frank discussion? Nope.
Controversial comment? Nope, and don't even think about criticising a certain companies product, no matter how well justified.
Robust debate? Nope.
WEAL #66 makes some very good points, I haven't always agreed with him, but nobody lost an eye, and isn't that what a forums supposed to be?
Something not discussed here is the cultural differences between us and the US, aussies tend to be fairly thick skinned and not particularly God fearing, the US is the polar opposite (broad generalisation) So it shouldn't come as a great surprise if our way of doing things offends some of their sensibilities, and as a result we get punished as if this was an American site, errr well ok it is, but it's NOT in America.
Long story short, back in my Landlord days we had a saying "punters will vote with their feet" in reality they were voting with their wallets.
I've just spent 5 min's looking at current threads and didn't come across a single supporting member, even though I recognise some names that used to be.
I guess the punters are walking down the road to another pub.
The assertion that this place is just for brewing is wrong imho, yes that should be the main topic but having a yarn or telling a joke (when was the last joke posted?) could and should be part of it, noobs need 101, intermediates need 102 or 5 whatever, the old hands want more, they're not here to just be primary school teachers, yes happy to do it, but without the camaraderie of their peers/mates they may as well be on FB.
Awful, M&B, good to see those avatars back, it's a bit like seeing a familiar face down at the local, although I fear the pub might be about to shut. Cheers G

News to me about WEAL. I've not deleted or redacted any postings since the wars of some years ago. I'm OK with frank debate, even criticism of myself. I don't care what others think of me, quite frankly, as it's almost invariably incorrect anyway. As I've said before, the moderators authority on here is quite limited. I have no control over any administrator functions or actions.

Is that "Gift Supporting" link at the bottom of each post new?

I accidentally clicked it while thumb scrolling and almost gifted @Grmblz a membership.

That would have been kinda comedic if I did.

The posting on this forum has dropped off for a number of reasons (well, through my observations at least).

1: A lot of the old guard have moved on (either jumped ship, or no longer engage in the online brewing community)
2: Facebook and other sources of information have become more prominent, and have reduced this site's traffic
3: A lot of us are getting a bit older and busier with family/work, so something has to give (I certainly don't have the same number of spare hours I did a few years ago).
4: Australia has a limited population (compared to the USA/UK) and we just don't have the same number of brewers to divide between a number of forums
5: The well documented KK vs KL battle and the bickering between people who clearly had a vested interest in either party (this has certainly turned a number of people I know off the forum).
6: Quite a number of people I know have moved on from brewing for a variety of reasons (health, time, other hobbies, downsizing etc).

The moderator factor is not something that bothers me. I'm more than happy with the job they do (and it's an unpaid and thankless one). I'm sure they don't get it right all the time, but no one is perfect. Striking a balance between open and free debate and keeping this place civil is almost impossible, and I think (by and large) the moderators have kept a pretty good balance.

JD

The posting on this forum has dropped off for a number of reasons (well, through my observations at least).

1: A lot of the old guard have moved on (either jumped ship, or no longer engage in the online brewing community)
2: Facebook and other sources of information have become more prominent, and have reduced this site's traffic
3: A lot of us are getting a bit older and busier with family/work, so something has to give (I certainly don't have the same number of spare hours I did a few years ago).
4: Australia has a limited population (compared to the USA/UK) and we just don't have the same number of brewers to divide between a number of forums
5: The well documented KK vs KL battle and the bickering between people who clearly had a vested interest in either party (this has certainly turned a number of people I know off the forum).
6: Quite a number of people I know have moved on from brewing for a variety of reasons (health, time, other hobbies, downsizing etc).

The moderator factor is not something that bothers me. I'm more than happy with the job they do (and it's an unpaid and thankless one). I'm sure they don't get it right all the time, but no one is perfect. Striking a balance between open and free debate and keeping this place civil is almost impossible, and I think (by and large) the moderators have kept a pretty good balance.

JD
Most of those points don't hold water.
Take 1,3 and 6 all covering the same point, 1. some have moved on. 3. same statement busier, moving on. 6. again moving on.
While members move on according to the bottom of the opening page we have New Members, everyday or almost there is a new member signing up, sometimes two. The forum is being replenished daily so that would be more than enough for those lost.

5. KK KL bickering! really, that would put people off? Look at the sister sites there is more arguing and bickering going on in their equivalents to 'Off Topic' threads. Secondly look at Australian craft brewers, there is no bickering whatsoever on that forum. And since the moderators, both involved with Australian Craft Brewers started running this forum deleting posts and removing threads this forum has ended up the same. Both are as dull as dishwater. That is what makes people leave.

2 Facebook has always been there, so where do those who are not on Facebook go who aren't on here. There are plenty of brewing forums doing really well, why? They don't get posts removed and threads locked. Grmblz mentioned sterile I agree.

When Austin sold his forums to Keith they were a viable proposition AHB at the time would generally come up first on the search engines it was informative and busy. So what went wrong, not the exodus. AHB was becoming just as busy while Australian Craft Brewers was flagging. I don't have to point out what happened I think most members know, they tried to fix something that wasn't broken. If Keith tried to sell this forum today he wouldn't get a brass razoo for it. A forum needs to be busy have members willing to pay to be a member and sponsors, which is another thing they have lost. I wouldn't be surprised that the only paying sponsors are Keg Land, Brewman and Inkbird.
As an aside here is a book well worth a read, 'The clowns are in charge of the circus' Kenneth A Scott.

Most of those points don't hold water.
Take 1,3 and 6 all covering the same point, 1. some have moved on. 3. same statement busier, moving on. 6. again moving on.
While members move on according to the bottom of the opening page we have New Members, everyday or almost there is a new member signing up, sometimes two. The forum is being replenished daily so that would be more than enough for those lost.

5. KK KL bickering! really, that would put people off? Look at the sister sites there is more arguing and bickering going on in their equivalents to 'Off Topic' threads. Secondly look at Australian craft brewers, there is no bickering whatsoever on that forum. And since the moderators, both involved with Australian Craft Brewers started running this forum deleting posts and removing threads this forum has ended up the same. Both are as dull as dishwater. That is what makes people leave.

2 Facebook has always been there, so where do those who are not on Facebook go who aren't on here. There are plenty of brewing forums doing really well, why? They don't get posts removed and threads locked. Grmblz mentioned sterile I agree.

When Austin sold his forums to Keith they were a viable proposition AHB at the time would generally come up first on the search engines it was informative and busy. So what went wrong, not the exodus. AHB was becoming just as busy while Australian Craft Brewers was flagging. I don't have to point out what happened I think most members know, they tried to fix something that wasn't broken. If Keith tried to sell this forum today he wouldn't get a brass razoo for it. A forum needs to be busy have members willing to pay to be a member and sponsors, which is another thing they have lost. I wouldn't be surprised that the only paying sponsors are Keg Land, Brewman and Inkbird.
As an aside here is a book well worth a read, 'The clowns are in charge of the circus' Kenneth A Scott.
I did say these were my observations and certainly not gospel.

I also didn’t intend them to hold water, just highlighting what I see (and have spoken to a number of former members who also see the same thing).

We’re all free to agree/disagree as we see fit, however I do agree that the monetisation of the forum hasn’t been a raging success.
JD

As a new member (with much to offer) it appears that the greatest deterrent to activity on this forum is negativity. This thread is a prime example.

I have followed this thread since I joined, and it is the only thing that has had me questioning my decision to join.
I have no doubt that if some of the members who have posted here would otherwise put their time and effort into constructive conversation we would all benefit from increased activity, more new members and fewer 'drop outs'.

I have seen some very intelligent conversation here and an air of pride in what some would say "was" a great forum.
It still is a great forum! We just need to encourage others to become as good as those before them, and you guys are the key to this.

Turn it around.

I did say these were my observations and certainly not gospel.

I also didn’t intend them to hold water, just highlighting what I see (and have spoken to a number of former members who also see the same thing).

We’re all free to agree/disagree as we see fit, however I do agree that the monetisation of the forum hasn’t been a raging success.
JD

As a new member (with much to offer) it appears that the greatest deterrent to activity on this forum is negativity. This thread is a prime example.

I have followed this thread since I joined, and it is the only thing that has had me questioning my decision to join.
I have no doubt that if some of the members who have posted here would otherwise put their time and effort into constructive conversation we would all benefit from increased activity, more new members and fewer 'drop outs'.

I have seen some very intelligent conversation here and an air of pride in what some would say "was" a great forum.
It still is a great forum! We just need to encourage others to become as good as those before them, and you guys are the key to this.

Turn it around.
Without going into a lot of detail I will say this, have a look at other forums, 'Off Topic' I am on an Aussie 4x4 forum the off topic posts are similar to the results of this forum and 100's of other forums they are the ones with the most contributions. Just scroll down the forum list.
All forums have them and all forums have discerning posts, arguments and general banter. Just take this thread, over the last 10 days the views have more than doubled. Look at the views on the other threads, nothing comes close apart from KL Q & A. Then tell me no one is interested.
Grmblz pub analogy is a good one go to a pub for a good night out, the first pub has few drinkers and long faces, what do you do?
Go to another pub of course with lots of discussion, banter and hosts.

I spoke to him today, his account has been suspended. Pretty low act after all he did for this forum in their time of need. When others were busy recruiting members from this forum to move over to another. But you know all about that.
No explanation for why my account was suspended today was the first day I have logged on and no warning nothing just back up and running.
Without going into a lot of detail I will say this, have a look at other forums, 'Off Topic' I am on an Aussie 4x4 forum the off topic posts are similar to the results of this forum and 100's of other forums they are the ones with the most contributions. Just scroll down the forum list.
All forums have them and all forums have discerning posts, arguments and general banter. Just take this thread, over the last 10 days the views have more than doubled. Look at the views on the other threads, nothing comes close apart from KL Q & A. Then tell me no one is interested.
Grmblz pub analogy is a good one go to a pub for a good night out, the first pub has few drinkers and long faces, what do you do?
Go to another pub of course with lots of discussion, banter and hosts.
Well the numbers don't lie, I think it does go to prove that there is more interest in other subjects other than brewing. Silly idea to moderate so heavy in the Off Topic thread. No one is forced to read any thread.

News to me about WEAL. I've not deleted or redacted any postings since the wars of some years ago. I'm OK with frank debate, even criticism of myself. I don't care what others think of me, quite frankly, as it's almost invariably incorrect anyway. As I've said before, the moderators authority on here is quite limited. I have no control over any administrator functions or actions.
What were the wars?

At least this forum hasn't yet descended to the point where apparent trolls call supposed trolls out for being actual trolls and then the so-called actual trolls defend themselves and declare themselves as being not at all trolls and support this by accusing those apparent troll troll callers as being the actual trolls.

At least this forum hasn't yet descended to the point where apparent trolls call supposed trolls out for being actual trolls and then the so-called actual trolls defend themselves and declare themselves as being not at all trolls and support this by accusing those apparent troll troll callers as being the actual trolls.
This is the story of so many forums. I like to think that all the trolls are just one wanker talking to himself.

Not again..
Why cant we all just get along..

Section 15(a) of the Forums.net Terms of Service

A message went up on the board at New Years that the moderators were closing it on Jan 3 and to save any info/threads before then. I think it was just the cost of running a board plus effort vs reward.

Latest posts

Back