Huh?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really unfortunate if it's perm. deleted .... I see it all too often. Forums just go POOF and all that knowledge is gone.
I think Brad thought he would get a bit of pin money from the forum, obviously running at a loss. I vacated to *** but came back as it was a bit to sterile, a bit like this one. Homebrew Talk is the go to. Look at this forum, 3 posts Tuesday, 1 post Wednesday, 5 posts Thursday, 4 posts Friday, 2 posts Saturday 1 post Sunday. Hardly a forum where I would be parting with my advertising funds
This is pretty cool, I just saw the ignore function. Maybe this place will be OK afterall
Weal may not be everyone's cup of tea, could get under the skin of most and promote discussion. Put forward a lot of knowledge and bulk buys. More than you cobber, you seem more intent on promoting Keg Land perusing all your posts. You can press the ignore button on me too. Very rare I post here.

Lets hop there will be some sort of "truce" and some of the old (and very knowledgable) guard will return here to share their knowledge once again?

Unlikely I think, but we can always live in hope.

JD
That would be great, though whilst you still have the same BS here from WEAL, old mate above and the like descending threads into flinging shit at people, I doubt it.

That would be great, though whilst you still have the same BS here from WEAL, old mate above and the like descending threads into flinging shit at people, I doubt it.
As usual you sound like a broken record. Haven't you got anything constructive to add?

I don,t mind sterile forums with minimal posts but I always check in to see, (addiction)
if there is something posted that will improve my brewing or search for specific information relating to my query
Forums can be misleading too Homebrewtalk especially
When you brew for years most information is repeated which is ok for up and come'rs
Anyway a forum is a forum take what you want out of it

With the right amount of digging this forum is an absolute gold mine of information. If it weren't for it I would have given up years ago (truly). I was making sub-par kits with inadequate cleaning and fermenting, and tuned in here for the wealth of knowledge and support from Thirsty Boy, MHB, Ross, Northside Novice... you know the rest. For me it was pretty easy to sort the chaff from the wheat (because in public forums every voice has the same megaphone) but some critical thinking is required. Back in those days people needed a PC to respond and for me that was a good thing. Not so many quick-fire remarks, more time to think about things before you respond, fewer users having an option. Anyway as time went on I think Pareto's principle applied - 80% of the good stuff came out quickly, and the remaining 20% will have 80% superfluous info or rehashing old topics, 20% new and useful info. Though some people do just like the bantz.
I have my reasons why I bailed but here I am posting, I'm not too proud to disown the forum that got me on the right track to good beer. Let's hope that can continue for all the new users. I don't post as much because in truth I don't brew as much as I used to. Just lost the mojo. Maybe I'll get it back, but I'll use the search function before I pick up my megaphone so maybe I'll sit in the ether hoping new users can do the same.
What I hate about closing forums is that all the info is lost. That truly is a shame, and I would hate to see the same happen here. It would be an incredible loss to the community. I don't think it will, but it hurts me to think of all the posts I put into *** that are sitting on a server somewhere never to be seen again. Barely anyone here got to see my pizza oven. A tragedy!
I promise my next post will be about beer, hopefully before 2023. I will also do my utmost to attend the next case swap, because apart from me making better beer that may be the best thing these forums had to offer, creating a community that wouldn't be possible without this kind of tech.

With the right amount of digging this forum is an absolute gold mine of information. If it weren't for it I would have given up years ago (truly). I was making sub-par kits with inadequate cleaning and fermenting, and tuned in here for the wealth of knowledge and support from Thirsty Boy, MHB, Ross, Northside Novice... you know the rest. For me it was pretty easy to sort the chaff from the wheat (because in public forums every voice has the same megaphone) but some critical thinking is required. Back in those days people needed a PC to respond and for me that was a good thing. Not so many quick-fire remarks, more time to think about things before you respond, fewer users having an option. Anyway as time went on I think Pareto's principle applied - 80% of the good stuff came out quickly, and the remaining 20% will have 80% superfluous info or rehashing old topics, 20% new and useful info. Though some people do just like the bantz.
I have my reasons why I bailed but here I am posting, I'm not too proud to disown the forum that got me on the right track to good beer. Let's hope that can continue for all the new users. I don't post as much because in truth I don't brew as much as I used to. Just lost the mojo. Maybe I'll get it back, but I'll use the search function before I pick up my megaphone so maybe I'll sit in the ether hoping new users can do the same.
What I hate about closing forums is that all the info is lost. That truly is a shame, and I would hate to see the same happen here. It would be an incredible loss to the community. I don't think it will, but it hurts me to think of all the posts I put into *** that are sitting on a server somewhere never to be seen again. Barely anyone here got to see my pizza oven. A tragedy!
I promise my next post will be about beer, hopefully before 2023. I will also do my utmost to attend the next case swap, because apart from me making better beer that may be the best thing these forums had to offer, creating a community that wouldn't be possible without this kind of tech.
I am sure there will be plenty of Asylum Seekers. Reading through this threads posts, good to see things aren't toxic anymore 🤣

I am sure there will be plenty of Asylum Seekers. Reading through this threads posts, good to see things aren't toxic anymore 🤣

Certainly is. Good vibes al round.
It'll be just beaut to be one big happy family again.

1674198988441.jpeg

'Tis of little solace to an ageing witness of the forum wars just last past. For little good will prevail until the return of the anointed, the promised one, the messiah - Nick JD.

1674293943639.png

Last edited:
He may very well be amongst us common folk. All jokes aside he was the reason I got into all-grain with his easy stovetop method.

'Tis of little solace to an ageing witness of the forum wars just last past. For little good will prevail until the return of the anointed, the promised one, the messiah - Nick JD.

View attachment 123097

Great idea. Is Bum answering emails these days?
Always thought 'banning' a vague, arbitrary and with a 'At His Majesty's pleasure' stink upon it.
So some people break the rules some of the time. Get over it. It looks petty.

At some stage when the 'exodus' began there were some interesting decisions around shadow banning. Remember when banned members had a banned status? When Austin (I think?) took over there were some conflicts and when people got salty they went on a short hiatus. Then there were conditions created that were not liked by members and they stated to question who was and wasn't banned. Suddenly, statuses were no longer visible and people appeared to simply stop posting even though they were unable to.
This is just the way it went.
If I recall bum's last post was "The mod's aren't my real dads!" and he was banned the next day. This was during 'the great purge'. That would be why he has not been seen. I think bum wouldn't be able to hide under the radar of an alternate account, he certainly had a way with words which would take immeasurable restraint for someone like him to avoid. Full credit on his spelling, punctuation and grammar in general - surely his best quality (apart from being able to square up with Darren).

At some stage when the 'exodus' began there were some interesting decisions around shadow banning. Remember when banned members had a banned status? When Austin (I think?) took over there were some conflicts and when people got salty they went on a short hiatus. Then there were conditions created that were not liked by members and they stated to question who was and wasn't banned. Suddenly, statuses were no longer visible and people appeared to simply stop posting even though they were unable to.
This is just the way it went.
If I recall bum's last post was "The mod's aren't my real dads!" and he was banned the next day. This was during 'the great purge'. That would be why he has not been seen. I think bum wouldn't be able to hide under the radar of an alternate account, he certainly had a way with words which would take immeasurable restraint for someone like him to avoid. Full credit on his spelling, punctuation and grammar in general - surely his best quality (apart from being able to square up with Darren).
Darren, or TheNewDarren?

They were good days... People could poke and prod each other and no one got offended.... And everyone had a good laugh.

Why would Bum know where Nick JD is? He didn't seem too friendly in this thead (link below).

Bum it seems was the first to throw Nick JD under the bus. And anyway right now in 2023 Bum hasn't been seen on this forum since 2013.

https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/why-has-nick-jd-got-the-arse.73150/

My point was Bum was also banned, not that Nick JD should know his whereabouts. Unsure how you extrapolated that.
Fair to say sensibilities in forum land have become more delicate and less resilient in the ensuing decade. The rough and tumble public bar vibe and occasional coarse banter has been gentrified into an inner city hipster bar where punters mind their ps and qs. Pity. A forum can still be spicy without degenerating into 4Chan, or twitter..
I wouldn't count on a return to the 'good old days', such as they were, any time soon.

Back