Hub - Xmas In July 2010 Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2. Loftboy - 'Call me Amber' (American Amber Ale. OG 1.050, US-05)

View attachment 39790

Pours a nice deep amber to copper colour into a pHat... very thin head that has almost dissipated before I can get the camera to snap a pic. Clarity is reasonably good with a little chill haze I suspect.

Aroma is fairly subdued, but I get a bit of muted toffee, some sweet malt and a tiny little earthy aroma of hop. In the background I also get a faint hit of what I think is green apple.

First mouthfull is of sweet malt and then a hit of the bitterness mixed with more green apple. The sweetness runs right through the palate mixed with some spicy hop flavour and a long lingering bitterness. I really like the bittering balance that runs right through and ends with a nice dry finish.

I'm thinking due to the lack of carbonation, I've drunk this beer too early, Dave. At first I thought it may have been under attenuated and that explains the acetaldehyde and the sweetness, but I thought that would have resulted in a higher carbonation level in the bottle due to residual sugars? But maybe it was an extra cool mash which would explain the dry finish and the sweetness is from the crystal.

Anyway, I think it is only a few little niggly things that are stopping this from being an awesome quaffer of a beer, Cheers and thanks!

Thanks Tony.

I agree with your thoughts on this beer. It's not the beer I had planned on, but still drinkable. It just needs a bit more time in the bottle to carb up.

If you other swappers haven't tried #2 yet, leave it out of the fridge until mid-august & hopefully the carb level will improve.

Who's beer was in the Grolsch bottles? Mine doesn't have number on top...

IIRC, the Grolsch bottle without a number is Marks (#10). It was supposed to be a Barley Wine, but I'm pretty sure it ended up being a American Wheat.

Beer: 15. Keith, Anthony, Jess - Jaffa the Bock.
Date: 2nd August 2010
Details: 750ml champagne bottle, gold cap 15, (Wyeast) witbier. Bottled 24.07.10
Sampling Notes:
Served chilled in pint glass.

Nice loud uncapping. Pours big fluffy tan foam at first. Eventually dies down to a centimetre of persistent head atop a near-opaque deep ruby body.

Quite a good intensity about the aroma, and very interesting too; roasted coffee, fresh orange juice, liquorice, burnt toast, grapefruit. Reminds me of breakfast!

Body of medium weight and carbonation, slight creaminess upfront dries out with roasted astringency that lingers on the palate for some time.

Flavour is a bit more refined than the nose suggests, more beery for use of a better word. Well-rounded roasted malt flavours of espresso and cocoa, maybe some toasted nuts and bread crust in there too. Some toffee sweetness with orange peel and spice coming through with a decent bitterness on a dry finish.

Seems a bit more like a porter or stout than a bock, but well made regardless. The orangey undertones make for a unique flavour and goes together quite well with the dark/roast malt flavours. Cheers Keith. Anthony and Jess!

4 - Schmick's Imperial Amber - on the dark side of amber, well into brown territory. Perfect carbonation & head retention, layers of lace all down the glass. Most excellent American hop aroma with the malt just peeking through. Hops dominate the flavour, resiny, with some nice caramel malt notes into the finish. Big chewy mouthfeel but fast finishing, keeping the drinkability index in the "awesome" range. This to me is the highlight, making a big beer like this so drinkable. The ABV is so well hidden, it only appears when the bottle is empty. The label is a winner too. Another great presentation from you Mick, much enjoyed.

4. Shmick - Imperial Amber, OG 1.071, WY1028

P7240051.JPG

Had this one tonight with a honey roasted pumpkin, feta, pine nut and rocket pizza with a garlic and rocket pesto sauce base...

Pours well into a room temp goblet. Nice tight mouusy off white head. Colour is a bit dark for amber, but being an imperial, that's understandable I guess. Clarity is probably opaque when held to light. Carbonation is pretty well spot on, if not a little high. I think this would settle down nicely with a bit of conditioning.

Aroma is complex; resiny pine of hops, and earthy/spicy hop aroma, malts in the background mixed with some faint esters. The hops really sit at the front with that big pine thing going on, it reminds me of chinook, but I'm not sure?

Mouthfeel is initially a little carbonic bite on the front and the middle of the tongue. It lifts that massive pine resin from the hops all over my mouth. The earthy/spiciness from the aroma is present in the flavour as well, but it's very brief. Immediately following is a big hit of sweetness and then the bitter finish is quite short but dry and clean.

A quite enjoyable beer with my dinner, Schmick and I think it will really benefit from a month or so in the bottle to let those big flavours come into harmony and balance out a bit. Sure would be interested in swapping you two bottles of mine to get an extra one of yours if you have any left to do a comparitive taste in 6 weeks or so?

Great concept and a great effort! Thanks, Schmick.

edit: attached wrong pic

10 - Mark's American Wheat - it's a shame about the carbonation, this beer was very clean with a great balance between malt & hops in the flavour & aroma. Could have been a great beer.

I've been waiting for my head cold to clear up before I got into these. I've been looking at the few bottles I have in the fridge every time I open the door. So tonight is the night to get started. I have no photographic abilities so I'll do my best without any pics

7. Scott (goatherder) - Schwartzbier

Aroma - Poured pretty cold from the fridge. Initially got some very light roast - couldn't detect any hops. As the beer warmed up I started to get some maltiness as well. I did end up looking for the red apple that some of the other fellas have mentioned, and I thought I picked up a very small bit of it early on straight after the pour - but that well have been imagined because I was looking for it. If it was there it seemed to disappear pretty quickly - is it a fairly volatile compound?

Appearance - a very dark brown to my eye. Clarity was very good. Head retention was very good, with the beer holding a tight, fine head right throughout drinking the glass.

Flavor - light malt flavor with the roasted malt perfectly matching it. Everything is very clean - seems to be finish slightly sweet but in a way that is to style and is not cloying at all. I don't get any nobel hop flavor in the beer, but the bitterness seems to be in a nice balance with the roast and malts.

Mouthfeel - I'd put this as a medium body with moderate carbonation. Beer is wonderfully smooth, I get no harshness at all.

This is a wonderful beer Scott - I really enjoyed it. I haven't had a lot of commercial beers in the style but if this one is anything to go by then I can clearly see how you've won some awards with it. Thanks for sharing.

After tasting this beer I'm not looking forward to any reviews of mine :)

Benniee

In the tradition of reviewing your own beer....

8. Benniee - Munich Dunkel

Aroma - I get a fairly pronounced aroma off the beer - not overly pleasant and not the complex malt profile I was looking for. I don't really know what it is, but would welcome any of the more experienced brewers to help identify it. No hop aroma. When the beer warms slightly I get small hints of the dark malt, and the unidentified aroma seems dissipate somewhat.

Appearance - a deep brown. Clarity is ok - some haze apparent and seems to clear up once the beer warms slightly. I was expecting the haze in the beer to be worse that is appears to be going off my other beers of late. Light head retention.

Flavor - A fairly light malt flavor, and not really packing the complex malt profile I was after in the beer. Whatever is in the aroma that I can't identify doesn't seem to carry through too much into the flavor. No strong hop flavor in the beer and the bitterness seems ok for the style of beer.

Mouthfeel - Body seems a little thin, and carbonation is light.

Overall a disappointing beer - sorry everyone :(. I have been having some mash/wort pH issues of late, and I think this may be one of the factors contributing to my problems.

Benniee

Overall a disappointing beer - sorry everyone :(. I have been having some mash/wort pH issues of late, and I think this may be one of the factors contributing to my problems.

I've been thinking about this more and I really do feel bad for putting in a beer such as this - it was just nothing like what I was aiming for, and the unpleasant aroma spoils the consumption. In hindsight I should have sampled a bottle before I swapped my beers. Strange thing is that this was a "standard" recipe for me and it's usually a cracker.

In tracking back through my notes I'm starting to think that the yeast I harvested off a slant may not have been as pure a strain as I was hoping for - so anyone looking to culture 2308 from my beer - DONT.

I'd like to make it up to those in the swap, and I'll do my best to get another beer ready, probably won't be for the upcoming HUB meet but hopefully for the one after.

Sorry again guys. I would love to hear others thoughts on what is in the aroma that I can't really identify - and I won't be at all offended if you tip it after that.

Benniee

Bennie - there's another swap at the end of the year so plenty of time for you to pull your finger out and get it right. ;)

Seriously though, don't stress about it. If it's drinkable it's ok. If it provides something interesting to talk about it's even better.
Everybody on this entire forum has at sometime or another made beer a lot worse (and were proud of it) than you imagine yours to be now.
If anybody learns anything from it then it's served it's purpose and you can chalk it up to taking one for the team (that's what I'd be calling it anyway).

Although we all want to make great beer, it isn't a competition. We're all hear to learn.
The aim is to discuss and provide feedback in order to help the brewer and to provide an alternate perspective (palate) which is sometimes really hard to achieve by yourself.

I'm also hoping it will be helpful for those still learning (aren't we all) to evaluate and analyse what they are tasting by reading along with the posted reviews.

Cheers and keep the reviews coming.

21. Jordan - Belgian Pale Ale - Wyeast 3655 Belgian Schelde - OG 1.054, FG 1.010, 5.8%, bottled 30th June

P7310089.JPG

Poured into a room temp pHat glass. Colour is a lovely Amber and the clarity is excellent, with a little more conditioning I think it would be very close to bright. The head is white and rocky and persistent.

Aroma is lead by sweet malt and pear, although there is some spicy hop notes there in the background mixed with a slight floral aroma.

In the mouth, the body is medium and I think the carbonation is perfect for style and it is nice and clean on the palate. Flavour is fruity and sweet malt; pear, slight apricot and a bit of sweet biscuit. The bitterneness is well balanced right through the palate and my mouthfull ends in a mix of light spicy/peppery dryness and some bitter orange.

I thought this was a fantastic beer, Jordan... I could see myself drinking a session of it. Thanks for sharing!

Beer: 10. Mark American Wheat?
Date: 3rd August 2010
Details: 450mL Grolsch swing top bottle
Sampling Notes:
Served chilled in pint glass.

Opens with a bit of a pop. Pours a very pale yellow body, slightly hazy and the odd floatie. Foam dies off quickly.

Mild aroma. Floral, lemon sherbet-like hops in there, a slight pepper note too. Not a great deal of maltiness, a touch of bread dough noticeable with warmth.

Near-flat carbonation makes the texture a bit syrupy, lean body.

Flavour is quite clean. Lemonade-like hops, some cereal malt sweetness, dough and floral notes linger on a mildly bitter finish.

Shame about the carbonation, shouldve listened to you and drunk it on the day! Oh well, nice enough flavour anyway. Cheers Mark.

8. Benniee - Munich Dunkel - OG 1.052 - 4.8% ABV - Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager - Bottled 27th June

P7240047.JPG

Well, Ben, my thoughts are you are being way too hard on yourself...

Mine poured into a goblet with a lovely tight, moussy, off white head that was quite persistent, and laced the glass. Colour was probably a tad dark for style, but the pic above is probably not the best indication of the true colour or clarity due to poor lighting.

Aroma was still very much malt driven for me, although maybe lacking the bready/biscuity aromas traditional with the use of munich in this style. At first I thought there was a slight sulphury aroma there, but it was only fleeting and I couldn't really nail it down. I remenber Keith giving me a similar beer in a HAG comp once and describing the DMS aroma and I'll be interested to see what some of the heavyweights of the group think. I couldn't really single it out and identify it for sure anyway...but I didn't find it as distinctive as you are describing and I'm wondering if what you're picking up is due to a lack of what is usually there, is not, in this beer?

Flaour is dominated by malt, but maybe a bit light on for style. No pronounced hop flavour and the bitterness is smooth and not overbearing. The body was a bit thin for style, but not watery thin, but good for a quaffer..

Overall I really enjoyed it, Ben, and it was very easy to drink. I don't think my bottle was really that far off the style, just a few little things. One may well be, as you noted, yeast health. Like I said, I think you are being your harshest critic.

Thanks for sharing!

18. Dick - Brown Porter

Apologies Dick - the instant I opened your beer both my kids seemed to go into crazy overdrive so I did have a few distractions while drinking this one. On the plus side it did give the beer a chance to warm up slightly and I think it that is when it really started to shine.

Aroma - I picked up some fruitiness and a slight roast in the background. I also got some esters which seems slightly spicy to my nose. As the beer warmed I got more of the roast starting to show through as well as some malt. The fruitiness and esters seemed to fade a little as well.

Appearance - deep/dark brown - Head retention was really good, with the beer holding a thick head right til the end of the glass. Clarity was very good.

Flavor - there is a light roastiness and some fruitiness/esters that are present in the aroma too. Again the esters seem somewhat spicy to my palate, but that's probably not the best way to describe them. As the beer warms I get some really nice roastiness coming through along with some maltiness. No noticable hop flavor, but the bitterness is well matched to the profile of the beer.

Mouthfeel - Fairly light bodied, with a clean smooth finish. Carbination is light to medium.

Overall this a nice beer - probably a little heavy of the esters for me to knock back a heap of them, but they do seem to drop into the background once the beer comes up to a more suitable drinking temperature.

Thanks for sharing Dick

Benniee

17. Steve - APA - Pale amber in colour, slight haze, loosish white head which stuck around & laced well. The aroma was muted for an APA, very clean with some malt peeking through as it warmed. Plenty of hop flavour, very well balanced with some bready malt into the finish. The bitterness is spot on for style. The finish is dry & crisp, drinkability is outstanding. I haven't tried the Cali Lager yeast before but it seems to work very well with this beer. Very nice drinking thanks Steve, perfect after the day I've had.

17 Steve-APA

Nice thick white head that slowly dissipates, low hop aroma. colour and carbonation seem spot on for style.
Initial honey like flavor that quickly gives way to a lingering bitterness, mouth feel to style on the dryish side.
The only thing I'd like to see is some more American hop aroma and taste.
All in all a well made beer thanks Steve

Unfortunately the following evening I came down with a head cold while sampling dick's brown porter, I'm not sure if it was effecting my smell and taste
on Steve's APA or not though.

18 Dick - Brown Porter

Great looking beer with good head retention. Low roast flavors with a light body. Unfortunately I couldn't tell much more then that.
It tasted like a porter of all things and went well with my dinner, thanks Dick

Overall I really enjoyed it, Ben, and it was very easy to drink. I don't think my bottle was really that far off the style, just a few little things. One may well be, as you noted, yeast health. Like I said, I think you are being your harshest critic.

Thanks schooey - perhaps I am being too hard on myself, but I know what this beer is usually like for me and the bottle I sampled was off the mark. I am glad that you enjoyed it and that whatever is present in the aroma didn't detract too much from the rest of the beer.

Benniee

15. Keith, Anthony, Jess - Jaffa the Bock. a bock brewed with (Wyeast) witbier

This beer had a little note saying that carbonation was low and to drink it now. I opened by bottle to a fairly substantial pfsst, and the beer poured with plenty of carbonation and thick, off-white head. Carbonation seems fine to me.

Aroma - Initially I get a solid hit of pheonlics, and comething I can't really put my finger on. Going from the description of the beer I'm guessing it must be orange. As the beer warms up I get plenty of rich malt that you'd expect from a bock, and the phenolics seem much more balanced.

Appearance - Deep brown to black in colour - when held up to a light I get some deep red/ruby showing through as well. Clarity is great, and head retention is good.

Flavor - Rich complex maltiness without any roast. I couldn't detect any hop flavor, but the bitterness is nicely in tune with the malt. The finish is somewhat sweet, but not cloying.

Mouthfeel - medium body with a moderate carbonation. The carbonation on my bottle was fine. Lovely and smooth.

I haven't had a heap of witbiers so I'm not sure if the pheonlics I get are yeast driven or from ingredients used in the beer. I initially poured the beer too cold and the phenolics dominated the aroma and flavor of the beer. But once I let it come up to temp it was really nice. Obviously a bit of a mix of styles but it seems to work pretty well. I really enjoyed drinking this one.

Thanks guys (and Jess).

Benniee

3 In a row to catch up.

10. Mark American Wheat?

Very pale straw in colour with some floaties. These settled quickly though and the beer was very clear. The
bottling issue Mark had obviously meant that pretty much no head.

Pleasant light citrus notes wafted from the glass which was backed up by the slightly lemony flavour. A light-medium body, low bitterness and sweet finish suited this beer well.

Overall an enjoyable summery beer that went down very easily.

Thanks Mark it was worth your hassles!!

7. Scott (goatherder) - Schwartzbier - Wyeast 2487 - 4.8% abv - ready to drink

I was looking forward to this, as is the case with all Scot's beers, and was not disappointed.

A clean low malty aroma with a hint of biscuits.
It poured a very very dark brown with off low/medium off white head that lasted for the entirety of the beer.
Wonderfully sweet and rich malt characteristics offset by a medium bitterness provided an excellently balanced beer. I found the light-medium body and dry malty finish very moresome.

Once again a beauty.
Thanks Scott.

Latest posts

Back