Hub - Xmas In July 2010 Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loftboy

Reaction score
This is the thread for your take on the beers you've tasted for the HUB Xmas in July 2010 case swap :icon_drunk:

Might as well dive & review my own entry (Dave L did it a few years back, so why not !).

2. Loftboy - 'Call me Amber' (American Amber Ale. OG 1.050, US-05)

We'll, let me start off by saying that I missed the mark on this one on 2 fronts.

Firstly, the body is a little bit thin for style. I mashed @ 69 deg C, but added too much sparge water & ended up having to boil for 90mins before the first hop addition, to drive off some of the excess water.
Secondly, even though there are caramel notes on the nose, it doesn't seem to translate to residual sweetness on the tongue.

Overall it's turned out more like a vienna lager, but it's not an amber ale. Hopefully another week or 2 in the bottle will also bring the carb level up & improve the head retention (probably wishfull thinking for head retention).

Despite all my misgivings, it's a very drinkable beer at this young stage & look forward to making something similar for summer.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks for setting up the page LB

Just a couple of boring words first:

- Please try to keep all feedback constructive, friendly and as positive as possible remembering we have brewers of all experience levels and abilities participating.

- Many people are still learning to taste and analyse beer so keep this in mind when reading the reviews and try to help out where possible.

- Participate. Brewing the beer is only half the job. Contribute as much as you can no matter what level of experience you have. Nobody expects full judging sessions and the more you put in the more you will get out of it.

- Above all - enjoy. :)

15. Keith, Anthony, Jess - Jaffa the Bock. a bock brewed with (Wyeast) witbier. Bottled 24.07.10, carbonation low. Drink now.

IMG_0050.JPG

The bottle opened with a pfssht a little higher than I expected for low carbonation, but may have been to do with me leaving it out since the swap and only refrigerating it for an hour prior to drinking. It did start to climb out of the bottle a little, but not excessively and I'd say this was due to the same thing.

As you can see, nice moussy light tan head. I imagine the bubbles would have been tigther if I had of conditioned it a little longer. Dark brown to black in appearance with some highlights when held to the light.

As I'm pouring it in the glass, I swear I can smell mandarin and I get a little excited because going by the title, I'm thinking this will be a beer I really like being a massive Jaffa/chocolate orange fan. Swirling in the glass, the mandarin seems to have disappeared and I get a big malt hit, bready biscuity aromas mixed in with a tiny tiny bit of toasted malt. Faintly in the background I am getting a slight aroma of bruised orange rind. No noticable hop aroma to my nose

My first mouthfull fills my palate with malty sweetness. Nice full mouthfeel that you would expect from this style, nice body and a very smooth bitterness early in the palate. Carbonation is low to medium and kick myself for not letting this stay in the fridge for 24 hours. Through the mid palate I am getting a malty sweetness, though its not overbearing or cloying, but actually quite enjoyable and it moves on to a slight toffee like character. Very complex malty profile that I really am enjoying. The finish is also a mix of a very smooth bitterness and the sweetness dries out, but not overly and the last thing I taste is the faint bitter orange, not overpowering, but not so faint that you have to search for it. I think if you didn't have the hint in the name, it would have been a head scratcher for 5 minutes or so until you get the orange marmalade burp..;) I didn't get any character from the wit yeast and will be interested to see what others can taste to define it..

Very enjoyable, quality beer, Keith, Jess and Anthony! Thanks for sharing :)

7. Scott (goatherder) - Schwartzbier - Wyeast 2487 - 4.8% abv

What a great start to the case swap. Mild malty aroma, good colour and a great mild roasty and chocolate palate. Good medium body with a great bittering balance.

I did pick up a tiny bit of ethyl hexanoate (like a red appley aroma and flavour) which sometimes suggests a stressing of the yeast but I had to search hard for it. I also know that Scotty cares for his yeast like a new born so I'm probably way off the mark.

What a way to start the swap. Well done Scott.

10. Mark - Golden Barley Lager/Wine (Ok I'll play along 1.100 OG, Danish Lager 2042)

Having deliberately forgotten what he put into this, I will remind all that this comes with a drink now recommendation from Mark.

This is not the intended Barleywine, but a pale substitute. I drank it as an American blonde.
Guzzle-able, easy-going and easy-to-go-back-for.
I think it was better a few weeks back, but that's my personal remembrance, more vivacious.
Still good, but was better (like a few of us out there).
A tad low on fizz, but enough carbonation to support the malt and hops.
Mark, sorry to say, but it a bit soapy for me. I think there is a character in beer that I wrongly believe to be soapy.
Not bad, and not enough to waste any, but detectable.

Mark, you should update the article.

Anyone who missed out on beers on the day should post here b4 someone gets attached to it.

Hope everyone enjoyed themselves as much as I. Did I propose the Arrogant ******* toast?

Les out :p

After a month and a half of walking past 2 crates full of beer, i've been dying to try it.

So I figured i'd steal a leaf out of Loftboy's book and post my notes on my beer straightup...you know, just to see if the carbonation is ok...

Beer: 13. Muggus Raunchy Scotsman brown ale
Date: 26rd July 2010
Details: 750ml bottle, gold cap 13/RS, bottled 11th June 2010, 5.0%
Sampling Notes:
Served lightly chilled in pint glass.

Pours a deep bronze body, near opaque in clarity. Beige foam forms, dying down to a thin persistent layer.

Aroma is off medium-low intensity, at least without some serious rousing and warmth. Quite malty with a good dose of crystally toffee and, of course, the aforementioned smoked malt, which seems to manifest itself as a really earthy, spicy woody element. Theres some hints of dough and dark fruits in there; possibly yeast derived? Not sure.

Medium carbonation, a bit of creaminess on the front palate that dries out quite quickly, seemingly shortened the length.

Smokiness is a bit more apparent on the body; charred wood, nutmeg spice, with a distinct peaty earthiness and when I say earthy, I mean like dirt! Sweet toffee malts add some backbone but seemingly short lived. Finishes with some lingering dark fruits (esters?) and toasted rye bread, and a drying bitter/astringent smoky note.

An odd concoction Ive gotta say, and certainly not for everyone. Personally I would have preferred more body, but the flavour is quite complex and intriguing bit up my alley.

Can everyone please update/advise their recommended drinking date in the article?

Beerz
Les

Anyone who missed out on beers on the day should post here b4 someone gets attached to it.

I missed out on the ones that weren't at the swap - I can only guess you picked up Mark's entry later, or maybe he turned up after some of us had left.

Don't have the list in front of me at work, but I'm pretty sure the ones I don't have are... 1, 3, 6, 10, 14, 25. I know there is another one, but I can't think of it.

Did someone keep a list of people who weren't at the swap?

Benniee

I missed out on the ones that weren't at the swap - I can only guess you picked up Mark's entry later, or maybe he turned up after some of us had left.

Don't have the list in front of me at work, but I'm pretty sure the ones I don't have are... 1, 3, 6, 10, 14, 25. I know there is another one, but I can't think of it.

Did someone keep a list of people who weren't at the swap?

Benniee

Hi Benniee,

I am not sure if a list was taken, but I was there until after Mark arrived, so I can explain why some of the beers you are missing.

There were 3 IOU's, Numbers 1, 3, and 6. These guys took away their cases and there will be arrangments made to get these later. TBC.

Mark had some issues in the morning and arrived late with 3 beers. Many Hubers had left at this stage, and so not everyone got these 3. And also Mark would not have got beers from those who had already left. The numbers of the beers Mark had were 10, Mark, 25, Trent, and I think 12, Rurik - not certain on the last one? So if my memory is correct you should also be missing a 12?

14 was a scratching I beleive, someone may be able to confirm that?

Steve

My first beer from the swap is 10. Mark - Golden Barley Lager/Wine .

As warned by Mark, the beer was quite low on the carbonation, but there was just a enough to keep me interested.

The beer poured a pale straw / gold with little to no head. A mild hop aroma was nice but was not coming through as strong as I think it might have if the carbonation was a little higher. Very easy to drink, finishing with some lingering malt sweetness.

I have to say I liked this beer, just needed a bit more fizz.

Thanks for the beer, Steve.

Hi Benniee,

I am not sure if a list was taken, but I was there until after Mark arrived, so I can explain why some of the beers you are missing.

There were 3 IOU's, Numbers 1, 3, and 6. These guys took away their cases and there will be arrangments made to get these later. TBC.

Mark had some issues in the morning and arrived late with 3 beers. Many Hubers had left at this stage, and so not everyone got these 3. And also Mark would not have got beers from those who had already left. The numbers of the beers Mark had were 10, Mark, 25, Trent, and I think 12, Rurik - not certain on the last one? So if my memory is correct you should also be missing a 12?

14 was a scratching I beleive, someone may be able to confirm that?

Steve

22 was also an IOU and because the naughty corner is already full he should be made to walk the plank. arrrrrr

10 MHB

I didn't take good notes when tasting this beer, sorry mark
Carbonation med, appearance crystal clear pale straw colour with a light head (dissipated quickly)
light body and well balanced hop and malt profiles make it quafable.
It also had a slight aroma and bitterness that I normally associate with grolsch (especially when grolsch is served very cold)
but I don't know what it actually is
Over all a nice little beer, thanks mark

15 Keith

Aroma roasty + very subtle cooked orange no discernible hop
Carbonation, med to high. Tight tan lasting head (stayed in the bottle too schooey)
Mouth feel med. Taste, well balanced roast flavour & bitterness, very subtle orange too.
Over all a great beer, thanks guys. ps I would love to try this one from a beer engine.

4 shmick amber ale

Aroma, strong sweet American hop.
Carbonation and mouth feel med to high.
Light tan head that thins but doesn't disappear.
Taste initially very strong hop flavour not quite fully backed up by the malt flavours, but by the 2nd
& 3rd sips tastes well balanced.
My overall impression is that of an IPA only with more malt and body as well as a great rich colour.
The body makes the carbonation explode in to head in your mouth that won't go away either.
Every time I put the beer down then came back to it the hops felt over the top, before calming down again
My final sip I could taste/smell and feel the high alcohol.
OK I have just realised it's not amber ale but imperial American ale that makes more sense, thanks Shmick

Um, it sounds like not everybody got a bottle of my beer (25).
I wont be back in Newy until the week of the 9th august, and probably not able to get to marks shop until the 12th or 13th, so if ya missed out, and want one, just take one of your extra bottles to swap with it, as my case is at Marks shop.
Thanks in advance, and thanks to Mark for allowing me to leave my cases there!
All the best
Trent

10. Mark - American Blonde/Wheat

IMG_0046.JPG

I drank mine the day after the swap, though I did fridge it as soon as I got home.

It poured into the glass with little to no head and very slight carbonation. Probably my fault for not drinking it on the day as advised. Slight haze as visible in the pic and a fair whack of some kind of sediment floaties and the head dissipated very quickly.

Aroma of sweet malt and some hints of a spicy noble hop, knowing Mark, I imagine it's Tettnang.

On tasting I get sweet malt and a little noble hop flavour. I think with some more carbonation this flavour would have come to the fore a little more. There is a flavour in the mid palate that detracts from the rest of the beer; not a tart wheat flavour, not a sweet malt flavour but maybe a yeast driven flavour that I'm not familiar with. Whatever it is it spoils what would have been a very quaffable lawnmower beer with a little more carbonation.

Cheers Mark

7. Scott (goatherder) - Schwartzbier - Wyeast 2487 - 4.8% abv - ready to drink

IMG_0053.JPG

I really wish I hadn't read Geoff's review before I wrote this one, although a bit of a double edged sword really... After reading about the red apple flavour, I really went searching for it, and I found it. By no means is it smacking you in the face and I'm wondering if I would have really noticed if I wasn't aware. So I guess the upside is I have learnt something...

Poured with a largish off white/light tan head. the head isn't tight and moussy, but that's nothing to write home about. Colour is dark brown to almost black, garnet highlights and an opaque clarity when held to the light.

Aroma is dominated by malt; light hints of bread crusts and biscuit and what i think is more an aroma of toast, than roast.

Mouthfeel is very good, nice body, I don't get and slickness or DMS, carbonation is reasonably good for style but I do get a bit of carbonic bite on the middle of my tongue.

Flavour is initially nice clean malt, but not overbearing, nice mixture of light roast and some bitter chocolate late. Early to middle of the palate I get the flavour that Geoff has hihglighted, but more so a red apple peel, if that makes sense. Bitterness is very balanced I think and lasts right through to the late palate. Finish is extrenely clean and dry. Great example of style IMHO...

Thanks for sharing, Scotty

2. Loftboy - 'Call me Amber' (American Amber Ale. OG 1.050, US-05)

P7290080.jpg

Pours a nice deep amber to copper colour into a pHat... very thin head that has almost dissipated before I can get the camera to snap a pic. Clarity is reasonably good with a little chill haze I suspect.

Aroma is fairly subdued, but I get a bit of muted toffee, some sweet malt and a tiny little earthy aroma of hop. In the background I also get a faint hit of what I think is green apple.

First mouthfull is of sweet malt and then a hit of the bitterness mixed with more green apple. The sweetness runs right through the palate mixed with some spicy hop flavour and a long lingering bitterness. I really like the bittering balance that runs right through and ends with a nice dry finish.

I'm thinking due to the lack of carbonation, I've drunk this beer too early, Dave. At first I thought it may have been under attenuated and that explains the acetaldehyde and the sweetness, but I thought that would have resulted in a higher carbonation level in the bottle due to residual sugars? But maybe it was an extra cool mash which would explain the dry finish and the sweetness is from the crystal.

Anyway, I think it is only a few little niggly things that are stopping this from being an awesome quaffer of a beer, Cheers and thanks!

I can't claim to be very good at tasting beer but here goes...

21 - Jordan - Belgian Pale Ale made with Wyeast 3655PC, Belgian Schelde

Belgian ales can be great beers but some have some strange flavours that are something of an "aquired" taste. I really liked this beer. IMHO this beer highlights what is great about Belgian Pale Ales - so many complex flavours from the yeast in an easy-drinking beer.

It pours with a medium head, nice deep amber colour and low-medium carbonation.
Aroma - fruity and spicy, smells a lot like allspice
Flavour - spicy with some caramel, malty sweetness, a bit of bitterness there to balance this out a bit to make it a well-rounded and easy to drink beer. Complex flavours, like some fruitiness there but flavours like allspice really stand out.
Finishes with spicy and caramel-malty flavours.
Overall impression - easy drinking beer with a mass of complex flavours with the allspice and caramel malty flavours standing out. Something I'll be making in the future for sure.

Thanks Jordan - great beer, really tasty

PS - I am interested to see what more experienced tasters/judges make of this.

Cheers Geoff & Schooey for the kind reviews.

Thanks Geoff for the tip about the red apple fault, my novice palate couldn't pick it. Yeast stress may well be the culprit - I had to split a slurry between this beer and a Baltic Porter and the big beer got the lions share. It's great to have your tasting expertise in the swap.

I had a mishap with one bottle, No 5, which is Ken's English Pale Ale. I shuffle my crates around in the garage yesterday and came back an hour later to beer all over the floor. The base of the bottle had cleanly separated away from the rest. I don't suspect it was over pressurised - I've seen the odd bottle fail like this before during cleaning. It was most likely a weak bottle and I think me moving the crates did the damage. Anyway, based on the smell of the spilled beer, I am very disappointed to be not drinking this one. Apologies for not submitting a review.

Who's beer was in the Grolsch bottles? Mine doesn't have number on top...

Been a bit lazy, gonna have to get cracking this week.

Beer: 7. Scott (goatherder) - Schwartzbier
Date: 29th July 2010
Details: 750ml bottle, gold cap 7, Wyeast 2487, 4.8%abv
Sampling Notes:
Served chilled in pint glass.

Pours quite nicely with a ruby-highlighted deep brown body and a dense tan head that persists throughout and leaves a good bit of lace.

Subdued aroma; charred toast and roasted coffee malts, hint of floral hop and subtle spicy fruit esters that I cant quite put my finger on.

Medium carbonation, medium-full body, smooth texture tames most of the dry roasted astringency.

Flavour is nice, not too intense; bitter chocolate, toasted wood, watery black coffee, nutmeg-like spice. Finish is a bit abrupt, lingering coffee and floral note accompanied with a decent bitterness.

A hugely quaffable black lager. Flavour and texture hits the mark nicely, begging for another sip. I could drink a lot of this! Nice stuff Scott!

Latest posts

Back