How's this for an Aussie Golden Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono1492

Reaction score
Attempted a golden ale a while back, but wasn't happy. Tweaked my recipe and think I'm happy with this, but after some feedback. Planning to brew with some yeast harvested from a bottle of Jester King el Cedro and haven't listed hop additions as that's dependent on the hops I decide on later on.

Cheers

1.7kg Light LME
750g wheat DME
500g pale DME
150g dextrose
20g chinook(@ 60. For bittering)
Ella/summer/cluster/cascade/Amarillo(can't decide, will decide at the brew shop)
Safale US-05(1 pack) + el Cedro yeast

250g wheat malt(steeping)
250g pale malt(steeping)
250g crystal 40 malt (steeping)

Sounds like an interesting beer to me, interesting hop combo as well....a lot of everything in it...2 yeasts as well. None the less sounds good, let it rip

A Yeasty mixed marriage... Interesting... Let us know your thoughts on how that turns out!!

fletcher said:
any particular reason for two yeasts?
Well, basically I really REALLY enjoyed the beer I got the yeast from, and there's a good amount of it and I've wanted to try and harvest some yeast from a bottle for a while, but at the same time I'm not confident I'll get the results, so thought I could use some Safale as well to make sure the beer ferments out. I've got a starter going with the yeast and if it looks strong I guess I'll skip the Safale to start and just monitor the gravity levels and only use it if necessary. What are your personal thoughts?

Jono1492 said:
Well, basically I really REALLY enjoyed the beer I got the yeast from, and there's a good amount of it and I've wanted to try and harvest some yeast from a bottle for a while, but at the same time I'm not confident I'll get the results, so thought I could use some Safale as well to make sure the beer ferments out. I've got a starter going with the yeast and if it looks strong I guess I'll skip the Safale to start and just monitor the gravity levels and only use it if necessary. What are your personal thoughts?
well it depends on how much you use of each i suppose. i can admittedly say that i've never done it so i don't know from personal experience sadly. it will be an interesting endeavour to say the least. my thoughts are though, that if you add both, you might have a hard time trying to identify how much of each has fermented the wort. i'm going to guess that the more viable pack of US05 would ferment the wort more but that's just what ive read from these forums.

if it were me making this, and i really liked that yeast from the bottle, i'd consider slowly stepping up the yeast and making a viable amount of it to pitch into your brew.

if you're not familiar with it, do a search on here for 'yeast starter' 'yeast culturing from bottle' and you'll see lots of posts where people have successfully cultured yeast from the bottle (a lot have used coopers, so using the word 'coopers' might assist the search also) and pitched adequate amounts.

if you are familiar with it, then my apologies. either or, to me it looks like a top beer. i'm about to culture up my first coopers yeast and use it in an IPA so i need a fair bit of it. i'm starting with a much smaller amount of wort then slowly increasing this for each step until i have about 100-200ml to pitch in my 10L beer.

EDIT: sorry, re-read that you'd made a starter. that's good!! have you had the chance to look at http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html to see how much yeast you'll need for your OG?

fletcher said:
well it depends on how much you use of each i suppose. i can admittedly say that i've never done it so i don't know from personal experience sadly. it will be an interesting endeavour to say the least. my thoughts are though, that if you add both, you might have a hard time trying to identify how much of each has fermented the wort. i'm going to guess that the more viable pack of US05 would ferment the wort more but that's just what ive read from these forums.

if it were me making this, and i really liked that yeast from the bottle, i'd consider slowly stepping up the yeast and making a viable amount of it to pitch into your brew.

if you're not familiar with it, do a search on here for 'yeast starter' 'yeast culturing from bottle' and you'll see lots of posts where people have successfully cultured yeast from the bottle (a lot have used coopers, so using the word 'coopers' might assist the search also) and pitched adequate amounts.

if you are familiar with it, then my apologies. either or, to me it looks like a top beer. i'm about to culture up my first coopers yeast and use it in an IPA so i need a fair bit of it. i'm starting with a much smaller amount of wort then slowly increasing this for each step until i have about 100-200ml to pitch in my 10L beer.

EDIT: sorry, re-read that you'd made a starter. that's good!! have you had the chance to look at http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html to see how much yeast you'll need for your OG?
Yeah, I've used the method you described, although most sources say to use a few bottles worth of yeast, I can only get a hold of 1 750ml bottle, so I'm worried I won't get a viable wort. I'm thinking of perhaps adding a little bit of Safale at a time until I get a nice looking, viable 1L wort to work with.

Jono1492 said:
Yeah, I've used the method you described, although most sources say to use a few bottles worth of yeast, I can only get a hold of 1 750ml bottle, so I'm worried I won't get a viable wort. I'm thinking of perhaps adding a little bit of Safale at a time until I get a nice looking, viable 1L wort to work with.
did you know that you can slowly step your one bottle up? it's basically where you only add small amounts of wort to it, to not stress the small amount of yeast, then slowly increase this amount, so you're doing a 'step up' and giving it larger amounts each time.

i don't mean to deter you, but perhaps consider if for next time if you only want that yeast. let us know how you go if you use both, i'd be interested to find out myself!

fletcher said:
did you know that you can slowly step your one bottle up? it's basically where you only add small amounts of wort to it, to not stress the small amount of yeast, then slowly increase this amount, so you're doing a 'step up' and giving it larger amounts each time.

i don't mean to deter you, but perhaps consider if for next time if you only want that yeast. let us know how you go if you use both, i'd be interested to find out myself!
Well yeah, wasn't 109% sure on using the harvested yeast at this stage, any idea how long you can store it refrigerated for? As this is a second attempt at a golden ale, might be worth while just using Safale yeast( same as last batch) so I can compare the flavor profile(malt/hop/mouth feel etc.)a bit easier to the other brew. Cheers for the input dude, just what I was after!

pleasure mate. according to wolfy, a long time member of the forum, he states it can be stored for about 6-9 months. his thread about rinsing and re-using yeast is here: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/55409-rinsing-yeast-in-pictures/

definitely check out stepping up your yeast (even from the one bottle). it can be done but it just takes a little longer; and you can then safely ad easily use only that yeast from the bottle once it's been stepped up successfully! it's a bunch of fun too i reckon.

fletcher said:
pleasure mate. according to wolfy, a long time member of the forum, he states it can be stored for about 6-9 months. his thread about rinsing and re-using yeast is here: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/55409-rinsing-yeast-in-pictures/

definitely check out stepping up your yeast (even from the one bottle). it can be done but it just takes a little longer; and you can then safely ad easily use only that yeast from the bottle once it's been stepped up successfully! it's a bunch of fun too i reckon.
Sweet as dude, thanks again!

Back