How's this 10min APA look?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewstertherooster

Reaction score
Hey folks. Got some El Dorado from LHBS. Description looks ace so thought I'd do a 10min APA to get a good feel for its late hopping character.

25L volume
4.5kg Briess Munich LME

60g El Dorado pellets 15.7% 10min boil
40g El Dorado pellets 15.7% dry hop 3 days

Wyeast 1056 if I can get my hands on it.

BrewPal app says that'll be about 5.4% after bottling, 32 ibu. Thoughts? Should end up ok or have I muffed something up?

Cheers

LHBS was out of Munich LME so I got 3kg of Rye LME and 1.5kg of Golden Light and some more El Dorado. Thought I'd change up the recipe to a RyePA

23L Volume
3.0kg Rye LME
1.5kg Golden Light LME
80g El Dorado 15.7% 10 min boil
70g El Dorado 15.7% 4 day dry hop

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II Fermented at 20C

This should make it 6.0%abv in the bottle, 41 IBU according to BrewPal.

Anyone had experience with the Rye LME? Wonder if 3.0kg will make it overly spicy or not? Ah well, brewing this Saturday, get on it

Newbie question.

Is this no chill, or can I do a 5-10L boil and put this straight in the fermentor with pre boiled and chilled water to make up the 23L?

How new are you to brewing paulyman? Have you done extract brews before?

What you've described is the basic process for an extract brew, almost to the letter. More water for the boil is better though (i.e. go 10l instead of 5l for 4.5kg of extract)
There's no need to chill it after boiling but it will affect hop bitterness by not chilling. A 10 min hop addition could be 'emulated' by adding the hops just after the heat had been turned off from the boil.

Before I thought about it too much, I put the just-boiled brews I'd done straight into the fermenter and allowed it to cool naturally. Once at pitching temp (normally next morning), add yeast and you're on the way. Many people have done and still do this will success. Keep your sanitation up to scratch and you'll minimise the chance of an infection, maximising the chance of good beer.

Hey TheWiggman.

Only done one extract brew, 4 or 5 K&K before that. I was curious about this method as I've been told that a 30 to 60 minute boil was required to get bitterness.

This sounds delicious, quick and easy.

At 15.7%AA this is a very bitter hop, so adding late will provide plenty of bitterness especially in those quantities.
Funny how whenever we revise a recipe both the ABV and AA go up :icon_drunk:

I've recently done an all El Dorado APA, whatever amount of late hops you think will be enough, double it, its not an assertive hop, much better paired with Amarillo or Cascade in my experience.

Back