Rye Apa With Lcba Clone Style Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcc

Reaction score
hi - I'm a longtime lurker, really love this forum for recipes and tips

i'm putting this down today and just wondering what you guys thought re: IBU/OG and mash temp (in the interest of getting a balanced flavour profile)

as you can see i've borrowed a few recipe ideas such as a similar hop schedule to Tony's LCBA clone and a typical grain bill for a rye APA...haven't seen the two together yet though (maybe I am not looking hard enough?)

any input is greatly appreciated

Rye
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 24/09/2012
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: tom
Boil Size: 27.70 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 8.77 %
3.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 52.63 %
1.00 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 17.54 %
1.00 kg Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 17.54 %
0.20 kg Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) Grain 3.51 %
12.00 gm Cascade [6.20 %] (45 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
12.00 gm Motueka [7.90 %] (45 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
20.00 gm Motueka [7.90 %] (20 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.20 %] (20 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
28.00 gm Cascade [6.20 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
28.00 gm Motueka [7.90 %] (1 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
4.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
35.00 L Brisbane Water
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.09 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.08 %
Bitterness: 36.6 IBU Calories: 478 cal/l
Est Color: 10.2 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 5.70 kg
Sparge Water: 18.53 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.88 L of water at 73.5 C 67.0 C

Dont think youll need the rice hulls in that one Mate
The 20% Rye seems to be the to go (never made a Rye beer)
Im taking your grain bill and calling it my own :D
Cant get Motueka So im changing it to my own tastes
All else in recipe looks good
Only thing i dont think Caraaroma does a great deal for any beer
Cara red ,carahell would be my choice

Dont think youll need the rice hulls in that one Mate
The 20% Rye seems to be the to go (never made a Rye beer)
Im taking your grain bill and calling it my own :D
Cant get Motueka So im changing it to my own tastes
All else in recipe looks good
Only thing i dont think Caraaroma does a great deal for any beer
Cara red ,carahell would be my choice

too late now! all finished and in the brewfridge....we'll see how it ends up....the rye definitely slows the sparge up (ive never used it before)

I wouldn't call it my grain bill I just took it from suggestions on these forums

thanks for the feedback helles

the rye definitely slows the sparge up (ive never used it before)

Rye can be a dick i find above 20%. 15% is my fav of makeup, might try 20% next time.

Rye can be a dick i find above 20%. 15% is my fav of makeup, might try 20% next time.

when time is one of the biggest constraints to putting a brew down...i have to wonder if i will use rye much in the future....basically it better taste pretty good or i dont think ill bother again!

No more than 5%, is the best in APA.

will keep that in mind Goomba....at least I will get a beer that shows off the rye character I guess

also, I noticed as well as the usual hot break there was a different break as well when boiling this one, not creamy but like the top layer had thickened and the boil stopped rolling....does this commonly happen with rye and do you just skim it off?

will keep that in mind Goomba....at least I will get a beer that shows off the rye character I guess

also, I noticed as well as the usual hot break there was a different break as well when boiling this one, not creamy but like the top layer had thickened and the boil stopped rolling....does this commonly happen with rye and do you just skim it off?
I haven't had that happened, though my last APA used 10% and the sparge was way gummier.

The APA was a bronze medal beer, though its predecessor had 4% and was by far and away the more superior beer. 10% added an 3xtra flavour that wasn't as complementary. Having said that I did a weissbier last year with 20% rye, no stuck sparge and no uncomplementary flavour.

Sorry for short reply, newborn was needing a feed and I had to hand her to waiting mother.

I haven't had that happened, though my last APA used 10% and the sparge was way gummier.

The APA was a bronze medal beer, though its predecessor had 4% and was by far and away the more superior beer. 10% added an 3xtra flavour that wasn't as complementary. Having said that I did a weissbier last year with 20% rye, no stuck sparge and no uncomplementary flavour.

Sorry for short reply, newborn was needing a feed and I had to hand her to waiting mother.

thinking about this I think next on the cards is DrSmurto's Golden with 50/50 wheat/rye ....should give me an idea what a lower rye % will do for a beer since ive already got the original golden recipe on the ferment

Well I have kegged the majority of this beer after racking onto some brewbrite and the remnants of my 90g motueka and cascade packs.

It must be the brewbrite because it is already pretty clear and very nice tasting, non homebrew friends agree.

I lack the experience and palate for my recomendation to carry much weight but this recipe certainly works for me, I'd be really keen to see what others think

Back