Howmuch Cascade To Add To Coopers Bit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu_454

Reaction score
Being a simple kit brewer in the past,

I have now decided to put a bit more experimentation into my beer in the form of adding hops.

Im short of coin at the moment, so I only have these ingredients at my disposal
Coopers bitter xctract tin
1.25kg dextrose
100g cascade 5-6% alpha acid hops

How long should I boil the wort for and in how many litres of water?

When should I add(and how much) the hops in the boil?

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated :chug:

Stu,

Get your biggest pot, fill it 3/4 full of water and bring to the boil. You want at least a few litres. More is better. Buy some malt extract (1kg dry or a 1.7kg tin of liquid) from your hbs, add to the water with the heat off and dissolve. Don't let it stick to the bottom. Bring back to a rolling boil with the lid off. Beware boilovers.

Chuck in 20-40g of cascade, depending on how dinkum you are, and boil for 5 or 10 more minutes. It will want to boil over when you put in the hops so be careful.

Put the lid on for the last minute of the boil to sanitise it. Turn off the heat and tip in the kit. Stir with sanitised spoon until thoroughly dissolved.

Chill the pot in a cold water sink with lid on then drain and repeat with icy water to bring temps down below 25C. Tip into sanitised fermenter and top up with water to about 23 litres.

Use the dextrose to prime your bottles at the same rate as sugar. Or if you want you could split 50:50 extract:dex in the recipe. Or if you want to go with the ingredients you have use 500g of dex in place of the extract and only fill the fermenter to about 15-18 litres. It will be a little more bitter but still OK.

Have fun.

Don't mean to be pi$$ing in anyones pocket here, but how good was that answer!!

Simple, and a good use of what stu has on hand without going overboard on what IBU's need to be achieved for a particular style etc etc etc.

As Stu said he was just beginning to experiment with hops so probably doesn't need to know the "technical answer" until later on. :p

Anyway rant over and well done deebee.

Cheers
Quincy (who wished he had thought of that answer :) :p )

Thanks very much deebee,

Very informative, yet simple, I will give it a go over the weekend, after I bottle the bavarian wheat ive got going atm, and the u brew it belgian dark ale due ready to bottle also.

Ill let u know what it tastes like, and set aside a couple of bottles if its any good

cheers :p

I did a real simple beer a couple of months back with just a Coopers Pale Ale can, 1kg light malt, made up to 20 L
Then after 3 days fermenting when the primary fermentation had slowed I added 30g Cascade to the fermenter (steeped the hops in the mug of boiling water for about 10 minutes beforehand)

Came out real nice.
Kinda similar to Little Creatures.

One of the simplest yet nicest beers I've done

Rich

Back