How To Use A Whole Bunch Of Homegrown Chinook Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juzz1981

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering how to use all these chinook homegrown hops i just harvested, dont really know how to use them since i have no way of knowing the AA%

Cheers

flavour & aroma; pellets for bittering. ie known AA for latter. I also use my chinook flowers for additional hop flavour on occasion, via 'french press' or 'steeping'.

In general you'd expect them to be about 10-14 %AA.
Use them in a beer with 'American' in the style name then you can use them for bittering, flavour and aroma, and never have too much of them. :)

Thanks for all the advise,

I have a LCBA clone in the fermenter at the moment, wonder what dry hopping say 20-30g of chinook?

Was thinking this might be ok?

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a LCBA clone in the fermenter at the moment, wonder what dry hopping say 20-30g of chinook?

In my experience chinook doesn't add subtle nuance to a beer, and to my taste dry hopping with it exacerbates some of its bite. Only do it if you love chinook - the big resiney/piney attack- (and don't care that you are completely changing the LCBA profile). Otherwise use them in the boil on your next brew. They are perfect in the 10 min IPA that others are suggesting. Good luck.

Great video. How much volume did you lose to rehydrating the flowers?

In my experience chinook doesn't add subtle nuance to a beer, and to my taste dry hopping with it exacerbates some of its bite. Only do it if you love chinook - the big resiney/piney attack- (and don't care that you are completely changing the LCBA profile). Otherwise use them in the boil on your next brew. They are perfect in the 10 min IPA that others are suggesting. Good luck.

Home grown chinook (ie Australian grown) tastes and smells nothing like US chinook.

Much more like B Saaz IMO.

Am I right in interpreting the 10 minute IPA has a single 400g addition at 10mins? How do they come up with the figure of 60 IBUs in that case?

Home grown chinook (ie Australian grown) tastes and smells nothing like US chinook.

Much more like B Saaz IMO.

Oh ok...weird. In that case I have absolutely no idea how the last two brews I've done are going to turn out haha (I put them together on the assumption that my chinook would taste like chinook). Presumably the AAU is still similar though (%10-14 ish)?

i find the same as drsmurto, not Chinook like, but nice

Was going to say make a arrogant ******* clone it is an all chinook beer and pretty simple, so here is my clone:

Recipe: STONE ARROGANT *******
Style: 23-Speciality Beer

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 26.50 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 23.00 l
Volume Transferred: 21.00 l
Water Added: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 21.00 l
Final Batch Volume: 19.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.057 SG
Expected OG: 1.065 SG
Expected FG: 1.016 SG
Expected ABV: 6.6 %
Expected ABW: 5.2 %
Expected IBU (using Rager): 73.4
Expected Color: 18.3 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
UK Pale Ale Malt 6.000 kg (90.9 %) In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Special B 0.600 kg (9.1 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Chinook (10.5 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 60 Min From End
US Chinook (10.5 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 45 Min From End
US Chinook (10.5 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 30 Min From End
US Chinook (10.5 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 15 Min From End
US Chinook (10.5 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used At turn off

Yeast: DCL US-05-SafAle

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (66C/151F) w/Mash Out
Step: Rest at 66 degC for 60 mins
Step: Raise to and Mash out at 77 degC for 10 mins

edit: added recipe

The AA% will depend on where it is grown. Much like wine grapes, the soil (terroir) plays a major role.

I use 9.0% after a few batches by myself and others.

So if you have just picked the Chinook hops (they have not been dried). How would you factor them in for a 10 min IPA. Required weight times four for fresh hops?

I'd use 5 times the weight for wet hops.
I just finished drying 105gm of wet Spotswood grown Chinook down to 25gm, so the good Dr is pretty spot on.

It will also depend a little on how dry the flowers are at time of picking.

Looking forward to using them as a 0 min addition in an LCPA clone.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:eek:

Back