How To Store Grain.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudfarmerboy

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and also to all grain brewing. I am wondering how other brewers store their uncrushed grain. The nearest place I can buy grain is the Grain and Grape, which is about 2 hours drive away. I was thinking of buying 25kg bags and then crushing them as I require. Will the uncrushed grain keep if stored correctly and for how long? What is the best way to store grain? I mainly brew English ales, so the grain I will buy will be mainly ale malt and crystal malt etc. During winter it is quite damp in the central highlands of Victoria, so I suppose that is a consideration as well. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Hello all,
I am new to this forum and also to all grain brewing. I am wondering how other brewers store their uncrushed grain. The nearest place I can buy grain is the Grain and Grape, which is about 2 hours drive away. I was thinking of buying 25kg bags and then crushing them as I require. Will the uncrushed grain keep if stored correctly and for how long? What is the best way to store grain? I mainly brew English ales, so the grain I will buy will be mainly ale malt and crystal malt etc. During winter it is quite damp in the central highlands of Victoria, so I suppose that is a consideration as well. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Keep it dry even if it not milled. Moisture will ruin your malt. I have a customer that get's me to mill 25 kg at a time.He stores it in plastic bags inside air tight buckets for up to 6 months and he makes great beers.Un milled , really comes back to moisture. Kept dry, really there is no time limit, but fresher the better.
GB

I have sacks of unopened grain sitting in my shed on the concrete floor, but I mainly have my uncracked grain in 50L tubs you can buy from the big green shed, etc.

25kg sacks just fit into the 50L containers.

With my spec malts I keep them in the plastic bags they come in, then store them all together in another big tub also.

Keep the mice/rats away along with any possible weevils and you shall be sweet to store the grain for a long time.

I have had no issues with any vermin yet.

i use airtight plastic buckets that my missus brings home from the supermarket where she works as they normally throw them out, the grain stays nice and crunchy in the desert of hoppers.

I use the cheap 60L wheely bins ($7 to $15 ea) you can get from some $2 shops, a 25kg bag neatly fits inside, the lid is mostly vermin proof (I sure that insects can figure it out though) and the wheels keep it off of the ground so mice/rats are definitely not a problem. To keep insects out get some foam weather stripping and run it around the lip of the bin and then weigh down the lid when closed, 6 months since I did this and still (touch wood) no insect problems.

I use the cheap 60L wheely bins ($7 to $15 ea) you can get from some $2 shops, a 25kg bag neatly fits inside, the lid is mostly vermin proof (I sure that insects can figure it out though) and the wheels keep it off of the ground so mice/rats are definitely not a problem. To keep insects out get some foam weather stripping and run it around the lip of the bin and then weigh down the lid when closed, 6 months since I did this and still (touch wood) no insect problems.
Usually the potential insect problem is already inside the bag just waiting for the right temp to hatch and F..k your grain. English grain seems to be the worst for this. Doesn't mean you cant brew with it, actually it add's a certain complexity to the profile. :lol:
GB

The diastatic power of the malt will decrease over time, increasing mash conversion times. Only really significant if you're using lots of adjuncts &/or specialty malts. Or really old malt.

I use the sacks they came in, or plastic bags/tape. I get moths.

Thanks to all for the replies. It seems air tight plastic drums/containers will do the trick.
Much appreciated.
spudfarmerboy

Mate there is usually at least one grain bulk buy each year (mostly at grain and grape in Melbourne) we all buy 25kg sacks and then go store it in tubs etc. Keep an eye on the bb section for a bb on grain then order up and make the trip down.

Mate there is usually at least one grain bulk buy each year (mostly at grain and grape in Melbourne) we all buy 25kg sacks and then go store it in tubs etc. Keep an eye on the bb section for a bb on grain then order up and make the trip down.

The bulk buy sounds like a good idea, will definitely keep a look out.

Forty-four gallon drums with hoop-closure lids. Originally contained fruity cake filling, according to the labels on the outside.

One or two usually keep my base malt (in the sack it came in) and my collection of specialties (in 3litre milk or juice bottles). No rodent issues.

Usually the potential insect problem is already inside the bag just waiting for the right temp to hatch and F..k your grain. English grain seems to be the worst for this. Doesn't mean you cant brew with it, actually it add's a certain complexity to the profile. :lol:
GB

Imported grain is supposed to be fumigated with a phosphine based gas (dissipates quickly and has a low to no human/mammalian toxicity) to kill weevils etc. So all you have to keep out are the locals. At least that's what I remember from my ag sci degree......

Imported grain is supposed to be fumigated with a phosphine based gas (dissipates quickly and has a low to no human/mammalian toxicity) to kill weevils etc. So all you have to keep out are the locals. At least that's what I remember from my ag sci degree......
Yes you are right about the fumigation but this is not a perfect world.
GB

+ 1 waiting for the next Melb bulk buy. I lack four wheel transport so I can't start one but would love to jump in on any started.

Just got a mill and so far the smaller amounts I've got are being stored in cold garage in 50L sealed tubs from the local $2 shop. Its dry and cold so I shouldn't have a problem storing them for ages.

Keep mine in rubbish bins from the 'Big Barn'. Get my base malts in bulk from Powell's Malts in Mordialloc. Good prices and helps that they are around the corner!

Get my base malts in bulk from Powell's Malts in Mordialloc. Good prices and helps that they are around the corner!

Show off! :lol:

Yes you are right about the fumigation but this is not a perfect world.
GB

Yes, but the bug count is supposed to be down in the single figures/ton or "shipping container" (for bagged stuff) and AQIS takes a very dim view of anyone trying to get poorly fumigated stuff through, they do check.

And so far I haven't had even a local infestation (touches wood) except some moths in a long forgotten ziplock bag of cracked grain I found yesterday, dated <shudder> 2008.....

i have a big wooden box, wax paper lined, that holds about 6 bags standing up and room for a few quater bags etc.

Also a few plastic containers that hold smaller bags of specialties.

I agree that it needs to be kept as cool and dry as posible......... moisture is the enemy! Also mice...... keep it sealed up and mouse proof.

Uncracked and stored well dry and cool...... 1 to 2 years no problems

cheers

No one mentioned but I thought it was best to store the grains from the light .

Is this correct ?

Pumpy :)

Hello all,
Cheers

try the brewing networks podcast on grain storage,it is in the archives and a good showto listen to.....cheers.....spog

Latest posts

Back