How to Oxidise a 60L batch without a pump?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lswhi3

Reaction score
Anyone have any ingenious ideas that dont require equipment/money? I've just figured out that's probably the reason my OG isn't dropping below 1020

i pour from the cube violently through a sieve.
I usually end up with foam filling the headspace of the fermenter (dies down in a couple of hours)

I've forgotten to Oxygenate before (60L Batch), and I had no probs with attenuation.

Sorry to turn into one of these people, but can you tell us: OG, Expected FG, Yeast, Pitch Rate and Ferment Temp.

I use one of these on my 60L batches

http://www.brewman.com.au/web/showproduct.asp?prodid=856

Thumb%20O2%20Set.jpg

Of course, that's equipment/money.

I found that stirring and/or pouring vigourously was not satisfactory.

You might want to consider a large whisk.

I always used to pitch my yeast after pouring into my fermenter. Now i've been adding yeast to the fermenter and pouring in on top of the yeast. Fermentation seems to have started alot quicker now that i've started doing it this way

I use a stick mixer... :)

works well... got my IIPA down from 1.085 to 1.012

tastes fucken great too.

1.020 raises other questions because it depends on how you are making wort and which yeast youre using.
If you are AG and using liquid yeast, you should oxygenate somehow. This could be your problem.
If you are AG and using dry yeast, you dont need to add oxygen. Some people shake the fermenter (bit hard at 60L) and others insist no oxygen is required at all. Even some manufacturers state no oxygen needed. Theyve packed everything into their dried yeast it needs. My previous batch was 50L with 3 packets of US-05, rehydrated and it got to 1.012, no oxygen, no shaking. Great beer. Here it is, unfiltered.
image1.JPG
If using dry though, youll need enough yeast and rehydration is a good idea.
If you dont have enough yeast, that could be your problem.
If you do have enough dried yeast, try rehydrating first.
If AG and using a lot of crystal malt and/or mashing high (temps) this can cause a high FG
If using kits and enough rehydrated yeast, pretty much thats how it will be.

Back