How to mount a RIMS tube?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugget 81

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in the process of drafting up my brew stand plans for my 3V RIMS system, and was wondering how others have mounted their RIMS tube? I'm looking for a solution where I can take the tube off the frame for cleaning purposes. I have attached my current drawings so show where it will be located. [SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

Cheers

Nugget

View attachment Brew Stand.pdf

One thing to think about is the length of hosing when plumbing in the rims....

Obviously, you want you inlet facing down so to ensure it is always full or liquid.

I mounted mine horizontal just because it seemed like the best spot for it and it involved the least amount of hosing:

IMG_4767_sml.jpg

I had mine mounted vertical with the outlet near the top of the tun. This allowed the liquid to drain off the element when the pump stopped which was no good. Then changed it to horizontal and mounted just above the base of the tun. worked better than vertical and kept liquid on the element. Now it is mounted the same as cocko's less chance of a dry run and I get better ramp times which I think is because of more pressure in the system(I could be wrong).
I have also fixed the outlet and sensor to the frame so it can be stripped down without having to remove either.

If your going to use HD silicon hoses for recirculating with avoid kinks by letting them be your guide for positioning your pump & rims tube. They take up more space with all the fittings on than you sometimes allow for. I'd make a hose or two up & try positioning them between where you think you'd like to have them & see how they lie. You'll immediately see & feel if they'll fit okay, silicon tube seems to have its own memory for how it lies & your best using it rather than fighting against it. My rigs just made up from odds & sods (mainly the tip) that I've pieced together the best I can so it probably wont help much with your design, but you should be able too see what I mean about the silicon tube.
1.png2.png3.png

Cheers

Nugget, i have to say that the guys who are posting photos here of my systems have the luxury of undoing one hex head bolt on either mount to pull the whole system off the table. Then it's a matter of undoing the triclamps with your fingers to pull it into it's constituent pieces.

Latest posts

Back