How To - Mild?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean said:
Just to finish, I've never actually asked George, Jackie or Stuart why Batemans use caramel in their mild - there have been better things to talk about on the occasions I've been privilaged enought to talk to them, but I'm damn sure the answer won't be anything to do with cost cutting.
Oh sorry Sean I wasn't aware you were on first name basis with the brewers from Batemans <_< . I humblely stand corrected and withdraw all my comments and now agree with you position entirely ;) .

Cheers
MAH

the whole pursuit of authenticity is a dead end.

if only traditional breweries like harvey's and bateman's are allowed to say what is and isn't a mild then obviously they will always keep changing the rules to fit whatever adjuncts, methods etc they use...and obviously us colonial homebrewing hobbyist hacks can't possibly get access to the secrets which will reveal mild nirvana to us...so leave authenticity to the people who equate tradition with authority.

i say, find a mild you like, find out how it is made, think how you would like to make it different, then make something yourself.
if you've never tasted one then don't worry too much, it's a pretty boring style anyway
:p !

if you've never tasted one then don't worry too much, it's a pretty boring style anyway

Well said, Mr. Octafish.

The milds I tried in the UK were Banks' & Adnam's. Neither was too impressive, and from memory (can't find notes) they were pretty far apart in taste and color. Maybe the UK brewmasters could never agree on a definitive style to begin with?

Quite possibly.

if only traditional breweries like harvey's and bateman's are allowed to say what is and isn't a mild then obviously they will always keep changing the rules to fit whatever adjuncts, methods etc they use...
The whole idea of defining a style is an alien concept to UK brewing. But if you are going to define the style, how can you possibly do it without reference to commercial examples past and present? If you don't believe there is such a thing as authenticity of a beer style that's fine, but surely it then follows that you should throw away the style guidelines used for comps, etc, which are surely an attempt to define what makes an authentic beer of a given style.

i say, find a mild you like, find out how it is made, think how you would like to make it different, then make something yourself.
No problem with that.

You couldn't be more wrong.

The milds I tried in the UK were Banks' & Adnam's. Neither was too impressive,
Banks's is nothing to write home about. Adnams' is a lovely beer when properly looked after.

and from memory (can't find notes) they were pretty far apart in taste and color.
Absolutely. Banks's is closeish to what the australian homebrew style guidelines describe. Adnams' is nowhere near.

Maybe the UK brewmasters could never agree on a definitive style to begin with?
They wouldn't even try. Even CAMRA doesn't bother - we've never found the need.

MAH said:
Sean said:
Just to finish, I've never actually asked George, Jackie or Stuart why Batemans use caramel in their mild - there have been better things to talk about on the occasions I've been privilaged enought to talk to them, but I'm damn sure the answer won't be anything to do with cost cutting.
Oh sorry Sean I wasn't aware you were on first name basis with the brewers from Batemans <_< . I humblely stand corrected and withdraw all my comments and now agree with you position entirely ;) .

Cheers
MAH
Yeh, I know. But if you knew anything about the Bateman family you'd know that cost cutting through ingredient choice is the antithesis of everything they stand for.

Latest posts

Back