Recipe check Special bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
Code:
Recipe: Special Bitter
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.84 l
Post Boil Volume: 25.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 22.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 12.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.1 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
2.96 kg               Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (5.9 EBC)          Grain         1        67.4 %        
0.99 kg               Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC)                    Grain         2        22.5 %        
0.22 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC)    Grain         3        5.0 %         
0.13 kg               Victory Malt (49.3 EBC)                  Grain         4        3.0 %         
0.10 kg               Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC)                Grain         5        2.2 %         
20.00 g               Target [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min          Hop           6        16.7 IBUs     
20.00 g               Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop           7        8.6 IBUs      
20.00 g               Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] - Boil 10.0 Hop           8        4.1 IBUs      

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.40 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 11.52 l of water at 75.7 C          68.9 C        45 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (6.83l, 13.94l) of 75.6 C water

I'm new to Victory malt, I understand VM can get overpowering if over-used..

At the same time I'm chasing that toasty flavour..

Looks good mate.

If you can get some nice Maris Otter, I'd just use that instead of pale plus vienna. If not, then brew this and enjoy! If you can source some English crystal malt then use that. I like muntons 60L or heritage crystal (Simpsons I think).

Also, I'd save the 100g of wheat for something else. At that level, it's probably not going to do much.

What sort of yeast are you going to use?

S04, just like to keep it simple until I get my recipe right then I'll go the liquid yest..

Cool. Ferment around 20 and you'll be sweet. Report back and let us know how you go

shacked said:
Looks good mate.

If you can get some nice Maris Otter, I'd just use that instead of pale plus vienna. If not, then brew this and enjoy! If you can source some English crystal malt then use that. I like muntons 60L or heritage crystal (Simpsons I think).

Also, I'd save the 100g of wheat for something else. At that level, it's probably not going to do much.

What sort of yeast are you going to use?
The wheat malt will improve head formation/retention. I would keep it in the recipe, it will have a negligible flavour contribution.

Back