How to make FG super dry?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
Wereprawn -alpha amylase is activated at higher temps (leaving more dextrinous, higher body).

Luke - long mash (try 90 mins) , lower mash temp (try 62) and just reduce the amount of crystal (try 5%). Make sure the yeast is fresh and healthy and you have plenty of it. Aerate the wort as well as you can.
Ooopps! Too many beers for me tonight..

use a saison yeast that'll dry it out :)

otherwise
3.7 kg of marris
200g crystal
200g wheat

400 g sugarz
25ish ibu ekg, fuggles

low mash temp
well aerated pre yeast (1968, s04 ..)
lots of yeast 18 to 22 over 48 hours then back down 18 ish over 12 hours
and hope for the best :)

JDW81 said:
Crystal is already pretty much converted into long chain, unfermentable sugars.
Hmm, I read an article with an experiment that debunked most of this and I have no idea where.

Instead of crystal do 1 or 2 decoctions?

I'm asking the question here also.

A couple of points.... Totally agree with JDW81 - a high FG does not necessarily equate to a sweet tasting beer. FG is more about the mouthfeel/body of the beer. Most of the residual unfermentable sugars that make up the FG are dextrines which aren't all that sweet. If you want to reduce sweetness, cut down on crystal malt and use a bland base malt such as BB pale malt or JW export pils or breiss 2 row. Don't use a continental pilsner malt, in my experience they give a sweet malt character to a beer.
If you focus too much on getting a low FG you may end up with a thin, watery beer that is out of balance.
If you want to maintain malt character without adding sweetness add some munich or try a higher kilned base malt such as MO.

Also which english ale yeast are you planning to use? They vary hugely in attenuation and malt character. Internet wisdom suggests that the closest yeast to Stones proprietary strain is WY1098 or WLP007. You could also use safale 04 I guess. WY1968 might give you some of the ester character but I suspect you'll struggle to get it to attenuate down as far as you seem to want.

Working at a contract brewing facility, Im fortunate enough to see a lot of different malts go through the brewhouse. Some certainly perform better than others. BB Pale for instance offers exceptional extract, time to clarity and finishes nice and dry (<2.0 P) when mashed below 66C. It was the one thing as a home brewer which I never really varied when trying to optimise a low FG, as I exclusively brewed with JWM.

Pratty1 said:
Mash at 62c for 90-120mins will get it low and dry.
Have to agree with this without confusing myself reading all the posts. :p

I could give All Grain experiences of mine that gets as low as 1.002.
I really like this style especially for Summer. I think its safe to say its Low Carb??
No additional sugars, no additional whatevers. Very efficient on ingredients. B)
6.7kg grain makes 38lt = 4 slabs worth. at 5%.

You will want to restrict the total amount of grain in your beer not just your mash temp. Something I have worked out is that the more grain you use the higher the final gravity will be.

So if you are going for a 6%+ beer you won't get it under 1012-1014 without substituting some grain for sugar/dextrose/etc.

I used torrified wheat in the last few brews, could that have anything to do with it since its not heavily modified? Perhaps I need to just do a step mash?

Single Infusion, Light Body Mash. Batch Sparge (multible sparges is what I do) Final sparging run off's as low as 1.008. You get a big pre boil then boil hard/ boil down. 90 minute boils usual. Hop additions whenever you want.
It takes chefs judgments etc. Good to have levels marked on Keggle and estimation judgments of volumes. :beerbang:

Try using WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast, 70-80% attenuation and it goes like a train and drops really clear and bright,

Last brew, a honey ale, using 3.7 kg grain and 1 kg honey went down to 1.001. WLP001 consistently gets me low FGs. I also use some nutrient, maybe unnecessarily, I don't know. Honey does dry brews out I think. Balance of hops and malt for style is important.

1.042. 11 lt BIAB 3.5 lt bucket sparge. Pretty simple. I was amazed. Looking forward to it. Topped up to 24 lt.

I would expect it to get very low with that low starting gravity and over 20% simple sugar.

Never put 1 kg of honey in before that one. Might have a crack at a braggot. Good yeast health plus simple sugars equals dry eh?

Latest posts

Back