How to make FG super dry?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lswhi3

Reaction score
If I wanted my OG to drop to, say, 1004-1006, does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this using english ale yeast?

Add some amylase powder during the mash perhaps, assuming all grain. Otherwise add to fermentor if doing extract.

Hippy has it right

amylase is an enzyme when will assist the yeast to consume the fermentables or sugars further and also give you a higher alcohol content

and a dryer taste

Luke1992 said:
62 over 65?
62 for 65mins should do it. Also, go 100% pils or ale malt. I do 90mins at 62c for saisons, which I like dry. I also do it for mid strength lagers. Both will end up around 1.005 or lower.

I was going to use about 15% crystal and 85% pale malt, will that still work?

With 15% crystal you'll struggle. You could add 10% sugar to help, but you might throw the beer out of balance.

I was planning to make a stone IPA w the BYO article. They're beers are super dry, so how would they achieve that without amylase? So amylase only works for pale or pilsners? What about something like mashing the crystal seperately from 45 to 55 to 62, and then adding the pale malt in with the crystal at 62 for the hour long mash?

Luke1992 said:
I was planning to make a stone IPA w the BYO article. They're beers are super dry, so how would they achieve that without amylase? So amylase only works for pale or pilsners? What about something like mashing the crystal seperately from 45 to 55 to 62, and then adding the pale malt in with the crystal at 62 for the hour long mash?
Crystal is already pretty much converted into long chain, unfermentable sugars. That is why it gives a sweet, caramel flavour to your beers when you use it. It also give some body to the beer, due to the residual long-chain sugars that don't get broken down by the yeast into ETHOH and CO2.

Mashing crystal can alter a very small proportion of the sugars, but even an extended mash at various temps won't change the fermentability of the sugars in it that much.

Luke1992 said:
I was going to use about 15% crystal and 85% pale malt, will that still work?
A quick calculation from the BYO website shows the stone IPA is only about 7.5% crystal, with an expected FG of 1012. If you mash in the low 60s (say 62-63) and pitch an adequate starter of healthy yeast, then you will get good attenuation and the beer will finish with an appropriate dryness for the style.

Why not try the recipe as is, then adjust if it has a bit too much residual body for your taste.

JD

I already know that the FG of stone isn't 1012, and I'm really getting sick of sweet beers. If crystal is supposed to be unfermentible, is there perhaps another malt I could use that would achieve a similar colour and flavour? Perhaps stone uses a portion of marris otter, which is ferment able, slightly darker and also would give it just a bit of spiciness?
Now I now crystal is unfermentible, I'm really not keen to use it in the brew

Luke1992 said:
You would already have a shitload of amylase in the mash. At low mash temps alpha amylase is more active, resulting in a more fermentable, and hence a thinner, dryer beer. At higher mash temps, beta amylase becomes more active resulting in a less fermentable, fuller bodied beer.

Wereprawn -alpha amylase is activated at higher temps (leaving more dextrinous, higher body).

Luke - long mash (try 90 mins) , lower mash temp (try 62) and just reduce the amount of crystal (try 5%). Make sure the yeast is fresh and healthy and you have plenty of it. Aerate the wort as well as you can.

Luke1992 said:
I already know that the FG of stone isn't 1012, and I'm really getting sick of sweet beers. If crystal is supposed to be unfermentible, is there perhaps another malt I could use that would achieve a similar colour and flavour? Perhaps stone uses a portion of marris otter, which is ferment able, slightly darker and also would give it just a bit of spiciness?
Now I now crystal is unfermentible, I'm really not keen to use it in the brew
There is no reason that a beer that finishes at 1012 should be sweet, especially if it has a small quantity of crystal in it.

Mash long and low low, keep the crystal at a lowish level and pitch an appropriate amount of healthy yeast into a well aerated wort and you're beer won't be sweet.

Latest posts

Back