How to improve head retention

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, not talking about health effects, just the fact that detergents are bad for head - as we all know.
There is no beneficial amount of detergent to add to beer, so I aim to add none.
M

Wheat I find is the biggest aid, that and appropriate rests, most of my brews contain a minimum of %10 wheat (AIPA / APA) and find I get wonderful lacing every time.

Glassware and detergents are a killer but now we're using perc in the dishwasher I find that I don't need to do anything to glassware.

pcmfisher said:
I am not sure if MHB is inferring health risks or the surfactant being a head retention killer.

I know they say "Don't fear the foam" but I have wondered more than once about a surfactant of any sort being washed off my fermenter walls into my beer. :ph34r:
Fair enough. My experience of starsan in kegs, glasses and everywhere else is that it has no negative effect on head. I mash as mentioned, use starsan in kegs, fermenters, etc and when I want a really clean glass and get dense foam which lasts well and clings to the glass.

Yob said:
now we're using perc in the dishwasher
Could you elaborate on this (ie how much do you use?, do you just pour powdered perc into the compartment that a dishwasher tablet would go?, etc)

I'd have to ask the missus who usually does that, couple of tea spoons I'd suspect, yep just in the little compartment thing.

As a side, the missus tells me that the whole dishwasher is a lot cleaner and smells better now we've switched to perc and everything is just as clean as when using expensive dishwasher cube thingies.

Been using it in the dishwasher for years, works a treat on Espresso machines to.
M

djar007 said:
Neither is beer. Lol.
Actually, good beer contains lots of positive things.

Too much of it is bad for you.

I'd hazard a guess that glass of all-natural beer is a shitload better for you than a glass of Coke.

Awesome thread, lots of good advice and some to take myself.

Does lagering contribute to good head retention? If so/not, then why?

What about splashing beer?

I wouldn't imagine lagering would do much to head retention, it's more about flavour development.

I have to say as well MHB, a lot of talk about head without a double entendre

Now that's raising the bar...........

For those who have not seen this it adds a bit of weight behind why mants uses starsan spray prior to using his glasses:

http://brulosophy.com/tag/head-retention/

hard to argue with these results:

8.jpg

Back