How to get started in Cider. The definitive(ish) guide to beginner&#39

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Gas Man said:
Just add yeast ... pear juice after fermentation has completed for additional sweetness.
Very dangerous if bottling. Somewhat unpredictable if kegging. Pear juice is probably better added to primary.

The Gas Man said:
If you've got the time, take a trip up to Darkes Forest Orchard (near Helensburgh).
Which produces the best results - filtered or unfiltered. I live in Wollongong, so Helensburgh is only a stones throw away.

FlyingRain said:
Which produces the best results - filtered or unfiltered. I live in Wollongong, so Helensburgh is only a stones throw away.
As you would expect the filtered apple juice gives a clearer looking cider, however I prefer the taste of the unfiltered cider. The only issue is that your cider will also be cloudy if you use the unfiltered.

Both are good but appearances can count for alot when your offering it to newcomers.

FlyingRain said:
I've done a few kit ciders. About to do my first cider from apples.

But I have a question that's rather newbish. When I chuck the apples in the blender, does the whole apple go in, or do I remove the core/pips etc?
Whole apple. Cores pips and stem. Particularly if you are using eating apples. Those bits add some tannins that give a little body to otherwise very bland juice.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
Cracked the first keg of this year's cider. Tasting pretty good. Will carb up the second keg and do a side by side between the two yeasts (71B and CRU005).

Cheers
Dave
Did the side by side over the weekend. Surprising result.

Had been using the CRU005 for a few years and was happy with the result. Tried it side by side with my standard mead yeast (71B) just for shits & giggles. Wasn't expecting much difference.

The winner by a clear margin is the 71B. The CRU ended up bone dry with a nice apple flavour but had little mouth feel and felt a bit thin and very tart. I will try some additions of tanin to see if that firms things up. The 71B maintained a slight hint of sweetness, loads of apple flavour and better mouth feel. Still tart but a smoother acid. I think it metabolises more of the malic acid than the CRU.

This was a real side by side. Same batch of juice from 80% pink lady and 20% granny smith. Pressed together and split into 2 kegs. Fermented side by side in the same fridge under identical conditions. Aged and carbed side by side as well. The only difference is the yeast.

Looks like I can standardise on a single yeast for both mead and cider. Long live the mighty 71B!

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave, looking at doing a cider in the next few days. You mentioned using a yeast nutrient to deal with the sulpher smells during fermentation etc. How much and how would you add it? ( given that there is no cooking like in a beer boil)

Ever used the wyeast cider yeast? Any thoughts? Where did you get the mead yeast from?

Thanks!

Paul, Glenburnie sells unfiltered juice. Am there!

Have set off a Woolies Juice cider, flat it tastes better than some of the commercials i have had. The more expensive super market juice seemed to have a lot of extra bits and pieces in it, including caramel.

Being a yeast spotter, the yeast fell out pretty quick .. bit of sulphur came out in ferment, but all gone now

lael said:
Hi Dave, looking at doing a cider in the next few days. You mentioned using a yeast nutrient to deal with the sulpher smells during fermentation etc. How much and how would you add it? ( given that there is no cooking like in a beer boil)

Ever used the wyeast cider yeast? Any thoughts? Where did you get the mead yeast from?

Thanks!
Yeast nutrient - depends on which one you get. there are heaps on the market. Use as directed...

I did use the wyeast cider yeast for a few years before switching to the dry yeasts. Does a pretty good job but I was finding that with only one cider brew/year I couldn't keep the yeast in culture so had to buy it fresh each year (yeah i know... I'm cheap). I find the dry yeasts do a really good job and are easier to manage.

I get my 71B from ibrew (ibrew.com.au).. its only available in 100g packs which will last almost forever for most people. I tent do burn through it pretty quick though as I do a lot of mead brewing as well.

Cheers
Dave

Hello everyone, its been a while!

I've had a bit of good luck yesterday and scored a wine press and crusher for only $155 off ebay! Its quite a biggie as I plan to get more into making ciders. I've done several small batches but I'm keen to put down something more, and to be able to do some test batches from a single pressing.

Airgread - What do you use to crush and juice your apples for your large batches? Do you think I can use the grape crusher? I'd probably need to break the apples up a bit first.

I plan to contact some orchardists in Stanthorpe to source some fruit, I see some are now growing cider varieties.

Anyways, heres a pic of my score - Its a #50 press so should hold 130L of fruit! Any tips welcome :)

Dave.

press.jpg

You will need an apple shredder of some sort, or freeze the apples. You can use a garden mulcher, build a scratter or just bash them with some timber in a bucket.

Must say quite a fun experiment. A mate and I added 5 litres to 5 different 10 litre jerries and fermented at 17c with 5 different yeasts. Amazing how different they all turned out with the same basic store bought juice.

A grape press won't work for apples. Apple crushers are similar but the rollers have extra bits to help shred the hard fruit. Good news is that most wine crushers can be fitted with hard fruit rollers as an accessory. You may be able to find a set for your one.

At the moment I spend a whole day slicing apples and feeding them through a screw press juicer. its stupidly slow and really hard work but the yield is good. This year I'm getting an apple crusher (never even thought of ebay... good tip) and will pour the pulp through the juicer as I didn't pull my finger out in time to make a press. That should speed things up.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
A grape press won't work for apples. Apple crushers are similar but the rollers have extra bits to help shred the hard fruit. Good news is that most wine crushers can be fitted with hard fruit rollers as an accessory. You may be able to find a set for your one.
I think you mean the crusher won't work. The grape press will work fine for shredded apples, not as well as some other presses but it will do the job ok.

Thanks guys, I think I'll try to make up some sort of shredder to sit above the grinding wheels that will replace the agitator bar. I think this should chop the apples quite small then the grinding wheels will squish it some more. What do you think? See this apple crusher uses similar rollers but replaces the agitator bar with a cutter:
image_1453.jpg

I'll post what I come up with.

Dave.

Greg.L said:
I think you mean the crusher won't work. The grape press will work fine for shredded apples, not as well as some other presses but it will do the job ok.
Yep. Quite right. Sorry. Slip of the fingers. that will teach me to rush a post out on my way to a meeting...

ibrew.com.au has the 71B but only in 100g packs. Winequip sells both but only on 500g packs.

They aren't easy to get in smaller sizes. A few people here did a bulk buy a few years back and split a 500g block between them. Could be a good option if there are enough interested.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Airgead, I saw the ibrew one and yes it is expensive.

What is the shelf life of these if I keep it in my freezer. Or where they should be kept?

I keep em in the fridge. In a sealed bag they last for quite a while. my first batch lasted at least 3 years but these days I tend to go through it a bit quicker...

Airgead, can you please point me out to CRU-005 at winequip's web site. I couldn't locate it.

Latest posts

Back