How to get started in Cider. The definitive(ish) guide to beginner&#39

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

new to home brew..started me first batch of cider on the wkend..just goin a simple recipe of 15l of aldi apple juice, added 750g of dextrose..plan on playing with the recipe with later brews..didnt taste too sweet..used a cider yeast recommended by local home brew store..SG was 1.062..starting bubble away through air lock..

plan on bottling into used stubbie bottles..

will let how it turns out..

davewaldo said:
Thanks guys, I think I'll try to make up some sort of shredder to sit above the grinding wheels that will replace the agitator bar. I think this should chop the apples quite small then the grinding wheels will squish it some more. What do you think? See this apple crusher uses similar rollers but replaces the agitator bar with a cutter:

I'll post what I come up with.

Dave.
There are some hand operated scratters that are the same as your crusher but with blades instead of rollers, so you might be able to adapt yours or try to buy blades to fit. From most reports they are a lot of work, but if you are doing less than 100kg they should be ok. Some people adapt them to work with electric motors, if you are good at diy there are some good plans for drum scratters on the net.

Greg.L said:
There are some hand operated scratters that are the same as your crusher but with blades instead of rollers, so you might be able to adapt yours or try to buy blades to fit. From most reports they are a lot of work, but if you are doing less than 100kg they should be ok. Some people adapt them to work with electric motors, if you are good at diy there are some good plans for drum scratters on the net.
Thanks Greg, I've started a DIY build and its going very well. I'll post some pics in the next few days :)

Airgead said:
Ahhh...just had a look and its not on their yeast page any more. That was where the original bulk buy got it from. They must have stopped carrying it since.

Its a mycoferm strain and it looks like winequip now only do lalamand.

A quick google turns up EnolTech as another posibility - http://www.enoltech.com.au/products/ever-mycoferm-yeast-mlf-cultures-nutrients/yeast-strains/ever-yeast-strains-3-red-wine-range/mycoferm-cru-05.html

Cheers
Dave
Thanks for the link Dave. It is half a Kg for nearly $50 bucks damn it.

If you really want to give the CRU a try, I have some that I don't use any more (I find 71B to give a better result for what I do). Came from a bulk buy a few years back. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

Cheers
Dave

An update as promised: So, in order to get my new grape crusher to handle apples I've been building a smoosher :D to replace the agitator bar.

Here is what I have so far - a new 1" axel turned from aluminium, and then threaded for some 6mm 304 stainless steel rod.

The plan is that I'll make a grating from the same stainless rod supported in a wooden panel so that any apples must go through this before reaching the rollers.

The tines move in such a way as they progress towards the centre as it rotates - hopefully this will encourage the apples to stay slightly more central.

It will take some muscle to move all this but I plan to fit an electric motor utilising the v-belt pulley. Total cost so far for mods $15.50

Can anyone see any issues?

Dave.

apple crusher 3.jpg

Apple Crusher 2.jpg

You shouldn't have aluminium in contact with the apples, but you could paint the axle with varnish. Apple juice is pretty acidic.
You don't need the rollers at all for apples, I think they would just get in the way. A screen of stainless steel might be better.

an update - I back sweetened a batch of woollies apple cider the other day and it turned out great! Bottled with about a third 'fresh' apple juice and no sugar. Left to carbonate for 7 days (tested after three, but carbonation wasn't as high as I wanted. Then pasteurised them at 80C for 10mins in the braumiser - the temp drops by about 10C when you put a new batch in so be careful to let it get back up to full temp before you put in a second round. I had two bottles pop their crown tops, but no breakages. Lid of the brau was on - so no harm done. I measured the temp of the cider in the second one that popped it's top and it was easily above what is needed within the five mins or so (76C) that it was in the brau. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pasteurization-methods-temperatures-d_1642.html%C2 Cider didn't taste great the same day - but excellent the next day / two after refridgeration. Nice blend of dry and sweet.

Things that helped make this cider better than the last one I did (it was.... scrumpy...) - yeast nutrient at start of ferment (boiled in small amount water and then pitched in), added tannins from tea bags (about 5-6 bags 500ml for a while - to taste - it was more noticeable in the samples, but worked well with the backsweetening), long cold crash (month or so?), and pasteurisation to get sweet finish. Very tasty.

Mr Wibble said:
Is it OK to use waxed apples from the supermarket ?
Yep. As long as its this years harvest and they haven't been in cold store since last year. If they have, while you can use them, they will be pretty flavorless.

It will also cost you a fortune that way. If you get them from a grower you will pay a lot less.

Cheers
Dave

Hi guys, thanks for this thread. I've been contemplating doing cider for a long time now and I can't believe I've only just stumbled across this section.

I live in central qld, so fresh apples are an impossibility, in fact I didn't even think I could get preservative free juice until the other day. It's 6 bucks for 2L, but that's still cheaper than some ciders.

So in summary, what does this plan seem like.
Buy 2x 2L bottles of apple juice.
Drop 3L into a large 3L bottle of sorts (Seems a waste of time putting it into the fermenter for only 3L?)
Drop in a sachet of yeast.
Put into the fridge at 15 degrees.
Wait for FG.
Bottle with Standard carbing sugars, 2 candy drops per bottle.

Wait.... Serve and top up with remaining Juice to lift the freshness up?

Should work fine. You won't need a full packet of yeast. They are usually good for 25l so just a quarter or so will do.

The addition of juice will add sweetness and make it taste like apple juice instead of cider. In other words it will taste like commercial sweet ciders. if that's your thing then go for it. Or you could drink it like the cider gods intended...

Cheers
Dave

Cheers Dave I'll give it a go.

I absolutely love Willie Smiths Organic apple cider. Unortunately it's a damn expensive drop that requires delivery. I don't like it ridiculously sweet, but if it's too dry.... I'll try it without any apple juice but I've got a feeling I'll need a small amount.

Just put down a "Black Rock Cider" kit and kilo. My first attempt so heres hoping it turns out great! Method below needs to be critqued.

• 23 Ltr Coopers Fermenter
  • Cleaned and sanitised all equipment
  • Kilo of the sugar (bought from Sutherland Brew Shop)
  • 2 Ltr of hot water stirred through
  • Poured the Black Rock juice in
  • Added 2 x 800ml Pear Juice cans (no preservatives or colours) from Woolies
  • Topped up to the 23 Ltr mark
  • Put on the Krausen Kollar
  • Yeast added (yeast was the pre packaged one under the lid of can)
  • Original temp was 26 degrees
  • OG was 1037
From here is where I will need assistance, how long do I wait to bottle? What FG is recommended? I have a mix true of "Corona" bottles and long necks to use so normal carb drop quantity is okay?

P.S. Temp has dropped down to 24 degrees today so hopefully it can sustain this temp for the rest of the fermentation.

Wait till its done. Then let it clear. Cider likes some time to mature.

The FG is usually 1.000 for a cider made from juice. Not sure about the kits.

Once you are sure its finished and its clear, bottle away. Usual amount of carbonation will be fine.

Quick update on my Black Rock K&K with additional Pear juice.

Gravity is at 1.012 and it tastes and smells like cider so I guess it's almost ready to be bottled. I am keen for this to be great when drank so I guess about three months should do the trick.

P.S. Does "racking off" mean to bottle ones poison?

Yes... and no...

You can sweeten but will have to use a sugar that is unfermentable. Otherwise the yeast will pick up again and just ferment it back out.

Or you can stabilise with sorbistat or another yeast inhibitor or sterile filter or pasturise and sweeten then. Trouble is you then have to force carb because there is no yeast to bottle condition.

Or you can just add some apple juice to the glass when you pour.

Or just man up and drink cider the way its intended :)

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back