How To - Gelatine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gelatin is a great way to add a quick clarity to your beers as long as you don't add to keg & then transport party-wise (or even disturb the keg in any way).
Transported to a party back in the day with very embarrassing results & have learnt the lesson forever.:thumbsdown:

Gelatin in the fermenter is a much better option as long as you keep it out of the keg when transferring after cold crash

AN EVEN BETTER option if you're not pushed for time is to forget the gelatin altogether & just cold crash for a few days before transferring to keg.

My 2 cents.

Edit ---- The longer you cold crash the better the results.

Last edited:
Shot a Coopers label through my gelatin'd LCBA clone.
2qNsX1W.jpg

I just gelatined my first brew, following the thread with about 1 teaspoon in 200ml water brought to 75 degrees. Holy Crap, the difference it made!! I added it to a keg of IPA and after 24 hours poured off the first 500ml of so which was pretty cloudy. But after that, its amazing! Not quite crystal yet, but Im sure in another couple of days it will clear a bit more. I cant recommend gelatine enough now!

Is there anything wrong with re-using a yeast cake if you have used gelatine? (planning to completely dump a new brew on top of one fermenter and take a big cup from another)

I used to use gelatin, haven't used it in a while now, cold crash at -1 for 48 hours and let everything drop out. No noticeable difference between a beer cleared with gelatin and one without.

I used to use gelatin, haven't used it in a while now, cold crash at -1 for 48 hours and let everything drop out. No noticeable difference between a beer cleared with gelatin and one without.
Gotta disagree WEAL. At least in my own experiences doing the same, I can achieve crystal clear clarity in the glass with gelatin but the same via a simple CC takes weeks. If there's a secret to be known here I'm all ears..

Since the recent widespread availability of Biofine Clear - particularly for keggers - I'd suggest that conversations about gelatine have now moved into the realm of "should I buy a Leyland P76 for bigger boot space?".

Basically yes, I just did a transfer into keg about two hours ago and tipped in a capful of Biofine before the racking so that it swirled up into the beer. Should be crystal clear in two days.

However one difference is that Biofine works best at as close to zero degrees as possible, while gelatine works ok at most temperatures.

Gotta disagree WEAL. At least in my own experiences doing the same, I can achieve crystal clear clarity in the glass with gelatin but the same via a simple CC takes weeks. If there's a secret to be known here I'm all ears..
I agree. I've cold crashed at -1 to -2 for several days and chill haze is still very much there. Since I'm now an expert on gelatine having used it once, I can say that gelatine after 24 hours was freakn amazing! After 2 or 3 days, almost crystal clear in an IPA.

I agree. I've cold crashed at -1 to -2 for several days and chill haze is still very much there. Since I'm now an expert on gelatine having used it once, I can say that gelatine after 24 hours was freakn amazing! After 2 or 3 days, almost crystal clear in an IPA.
Are you doing a protein rest? A good rolling boil? Rapid chilling of the wort? What is your MO?
After 2 days at -1 or 2 C my beer is clear without any additives so your process is obviously different to mine.

Are you doing a protein rest? A good rolling boil? Rapid chilling of the wort? What is your MO?
After 2 days at -1 or 2 C my beer is clear without any additives so your process is obviously different to mine.
No protein rest because I did it once and it caused problems with my urn cutting out due to excess gunk build up on the element. Other than that, my boil is good and I get no difference no chilling or using an immersion chiller.

If you watch the Charlie Bamforth link I posted he explains the different factors of where the haze comes from, pH not right, polyphenols from the grain and the hops, protein and starch from grains and adjuncts so getting the mash right is important. The other thing I don't do is dry hop, I go along with final hop additions into the whirlpool. Two days and my beer is clear, as I said I used to add gelatin and now I don't, does the beer taste any different, not as far as I am aware. But not adding the gelatin is reducing any further risk of oxidization.

Back