How To - Gelatine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
enoch said:
I have used gelatine on a carbed keg by putting the dissolved gelatine in a pet bottle with a carbonator cap on it and counter pressure filling back into the keg.
Works a treat.
Well that would have saved me a bunch of co2.

Next time, gadget. Next time.

nosco said:
I have put gelatine straight into a carbed keg with great result. But I have a feeling gelatine only works on yeast haze. It won't work on protein haze, polyclar does and nothing works on hop haze. Is this correct?
This byo article says it works on yeast and proteins... linky I use it almost 100% of the time during lagering or cold conditioning and have very little chill haze issues anymore. Love it.

Just poured my first beer fined with gelatine and im impressed. Really helps to force us05 to drop which really seems to want to hang around. My dry hop has all but disappeared though so might throw more in next time

I'm 2 years into kit/extract brewing with temp control and bottling only. Recently moved to using gelatin after a year of cold crashing and Gelatin does pretty very well. A couple of times I've rushed the process and bottled to quick after adding gelatin (36hr mark approx) and there was too much fluffy gelatin in the bottled beer.
3 plus days is better, ideally 6-7 days. 750ml bottles, first pour is clear as any filtered commercial beer. Second pour is more hazy but less then non-gelatin bottled beer.
Hop aroma, I haven't really noticed any difference, but I usually do flameout additions as well as dry hop, so it may be assisting?

i started doing this method 5 brews ago, awesome results i now gelatine in my second vessel in which i cold crash. Pretty cool to be able to watch tele through your pilsner.

Are there any implications when leaving beer with gelatin in it for extended periods of time? I transfer from primary to a keg and leave in the keg for up to 5 weeks - depending on beer style (in the fridge) before transferring to the keg fridge, carbonating and serving. I was thinking of adding gelatin when I transfer from primary to the keg but that would mean the gelatin would stay in the keg for up to 5 weeks.

I gelatin just before carbonation.

can I ask why you would leave a keg 5 weeks without carbonation ? if I've read your post correctly.

5 weeks is usually lagering. Other than that, it's just until another tap becomes available

shacked said:
Are there any implications when leaving beer with gelatin in it for extended periods of time? I transfer from primary to a keg and leave in the keg for up to 5 weeks - depending on beer style (in the fridge) before transferring to the keg fridge, carbonating and serving. I was thinking of adding gelatin when I transfer from primary to the keg but that would mean the gelatin would stay in the keg for up to 5 weeks.
I did this with a kolsch that sat in my lagering fridge 6 weeks, no taste difference, but an extremely bright and clear beer.

I have a Munich Dunkel that is currently cold conditioning. I'll be away for about 2 weeks, then planning to bottle as soon as I'm back. Would it be ok to leave it after adding gelatine for this period of time prior to returning and bottling?

You don't have to worry at all about gelatin doing anything bad flavour-wise, even after long periods. It doesn't add any flavour or have any negative effects. You can bottle beer that has been fined with gelatin and age it with no ill effects

James said:
I have a Munich Dunkel that is currently cold conditioning. I'll be away for about 2 weeks, then planning to bottle as soon as I'm back. Would it be ok to leave it after adding gelatine for this period of time prior to returning and bottling?
That'll be fine. Even though it should be lovely and crystal clear after that time, there will still be enough yeast left in suspension to allow carbonation in the bottle. Maybe it could take a little longer to fully carbonate (maybe 3 weeks instead of 2?), but shouldn't be an problem

I used to regularly filter my beers but rarely do it these days except for Kolsch/lagers.

I'm about to keg a couple of ales that I've chilled in the fermenters to just above freezing and am going to use gelatin on these beers.

Once I keg them, they will sit at room temp for several weeks until they get called up for duty.

With this in mind, when would be the best time to use gelatin?

- In the fermenters (I reuse my yeast - does this have any impact?)
- In the keg at the time I transfer from the fermenters; or
- Leave it until I'm putting the keg in the serving fridge, open the keg and add it then?

Cheers,
cliffo

Trying this for the first time with a cloudy ipa

Looking forward to the results!

Will have to move the fermenter from fridge to a table to keg, but hopefully I can do that without mixing it around too much

Godspeed laxation. There's some belief that gelatin strips hop aroma so consider preparing a post-gelatin dry hop if you find it's lacking in hoppy goodness.

I used to regularly filter my beers but rarely do it these days except for Kolsch/lagers.

I'm about to keg a couple of ales that I've chilled in the fermenters to just above freezing and am going to use gelatin on these beers.

Once I keg them, they will sit at room temp for several weeks until they get called up for duty.

With this in mind, when would be the best time to use gelatin?

- In the fermenters (I reuse my yeast - does this have any impact?)
- In the keg at the time I transfer from the fermenters; or
- Leave it until I'm putting the keg in the serving fridge, open the keg and add it then?

Cheers,
cliffo

Just noticed nobody got back to you cliffo.. will give you my $0.02 now if it helps at all. Gelatin in the fermenter for sure. It has never impacted yeast reuse for me and sources elsewhere state the same.

I'm gonna keg it Wednesday night so unfortunately won't have time to dry hop again. Hopefully it doesn't get rid of too much, I didn't dry hop the first time as much as maybe I should have

Just noticed nobody got back to you cliffo.. will give you my $0.02 now if it helps at all. Gelatin in the fermenter for sure. It has never impacted yeast reuse for me and sources elsewhere state the same.

Cheers, I went ahead with using it in the fermenter with seemingly no issues in reusing the yeast.

Beers are quite clear and much easier/less work than filtering.

Cheers, I went ahead with using it in the fermenter with seemingly no issues in reusing the yeast.

Beers are quite clear and much easier/less work than filtering.
For what its worth I prefer in the fermenter seem to end up with clearer beers only do in Keg if running low on supplies. Also have reused yeast with no issues

There have been a number of brewers getting great results with gelatine as a fining lately so here is a tutorial on how to prepare and add it.

Start with 200ml of room temp water. You can choose to boil this first and cool if you wish but Ive found this unnecessary since it will be pasteurised later on. But if you must then a tip is to use the micro wave to quickly boil and then chuck it in the freezer. Now add 2 level tea spoons of unflavoured gelatine and allow to stand for 10 min. This lets the gelatine bloom which is much like rehydrating dried yeast and will now look fluffy.

View attachment 18350 View attachment 18351

Give it a swirl to mix in the gelatine and gently heat on the stove/microwave to 75C. Heating the gelatine too hot or even boiling will denature it and it will loose the fining ability making it useless.

View attachment 18352 View attachment 18353

Hold the solution at 75C for 15 min to pasteurise then add to secondary/keg when rack to mix it well, you do not have to wait for it to cool before adding it to the beer. You should also only add it to beer that has been chilled. If added to the keg then give it a bit of a shake if youre unsure of it being mixing correctly and allow to sit cold for 3 days. The first pour from a keg will also be cloudy with yeast, just the same as if you had left a keg to sit for a number of weeks to clear.

Gelatine does not 'set' on the bottom of the keg, so if you move it after clearing it will once again become cloudy just like a keg without gelatine. Gelatine works by clumping together yeast and increasing the particle size which allows it to fall out of suspension faster.

Thats its start enjoying your clear beer.

wow! thanks for this clever idea! I want to use this gelatin technique real soon!

Godspeed laxation. There's some belief that gelatin strips hop aroma so consider preparing a post-gelatin dry hop if you find it's lacking in hoppy goodness.

do you have photos on the outcome?

Latest posts

Back