How To - Gelatine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff mate. It always just made more sense to me to drop whatever out of the beer before it went into the kegs to minimise the amount of sediment in them. Same when I was bottling although I didn't bother adding anything to drop yeast out then because it did it well enough by itself in bottles. I have a lager in the FV at the moment on 3 degrees, it had its dose of isinglass last night and will get some Polyclar either tonight or tomorrow, and be kegged next Wednesday.

For those here using Gelatine when you happen to have vegan or vegetarian friends over for a drink, do you inform them that Gelatine is used in your beer?
Not sure if this has been raised before but I've used a vegetarian gelatin product Jel-it-in and it works a treat.

Not sure if this has been raised before but I've used a vegetarian gelatin product Jel-it-in and it works a treat.
That's carageenan which is a common fining agent (wirfloc, Irish moss, etc). At $6 per 100g (from woolies) you might be better off getting this from a brew supplier. Another vegan option is pvpp

It's used late in the boil to coagulate and drop out hot break. It may be dropping out proteins in the fermenter which would assist in clarity, but there are products better suited to this purpose.

Carageenan isn't much use post fermentation anyway, it's a kettle fining.
Sure it's not the normal practice and is sold to be a kettle fining. But can we assume he tells the truth that it's working to clarify a beer in the keg?

@Tricky Dicky, are you brewing grain or extract? Do you use any coagulants in the kettle?

Carageenan is very versatile and has many uses in the food and beverage industry as well as pharmaceuticals. The
seaweed doesn't know where you plan to apply it's extract ; )

Indeed, there are other vegan finings to use in the keg

Up to now it has been extract with my own hop tea additions and the gelatin in question has worked really well. I've just brewed my first partial mash plus LME with hop additions through the boil and have then added the gelatin post fermentation into the FV after 24 hours cold crash, I have previously cold crashed another 48 hours then kegged and so far its worked well. I did not add any clearing agents to the wort whilst boiling.

Was reading recently about Dhun Baria and the Tower of Silence, it reminded me of something I read some years ago about a test done on gelatine in the UK was found to contain human bones, it was tracked back to India and the source was the Tower of Silence.
:barf:

I read some years ago about a test done on gelatine in the UK was found to contain human bones, it was tracked back to India and the source was the Tower of Silence.
:barf:

Do you have any evidence to support this? I'm calling horse shit.

Back