How To Easily Open Grain Bags?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperplace

Reaction score
This afternoon, while I was struggling to open a bag of malted grain, I remembered someone telling me that there is a trick whereby you cut one of the threads stitching the bag closed, and hey presto, it will zip open.

But I can't remember it: can anyone help?

thanks

Peter

If anyone can tell me which one of the feckersyou cut rather resorting to the Chappo method (See below)

17765.jpg

Tutorial HERE for opening Weyermann Sacks.

cheers Ross

Cheers guys.

I was a gardener for years and had this method down pat opening bags of fertiliser and whatever else, but have not opened sacks for about ten years, and I forgot. The few backs of grain I have opened so far as a brewer I have botched. This reminded me of how to do it. Thanks.

I had to think bag to my days living on a farm and opening sacks and sacks of either seed or animal feed.

cut the right end, pick it back a little and it just peels off.

Oddly enough, I ALWAYS cut the wrong end first.

Damn bug.

I swatted the screen............ again

The bags always have one side with fatter thread than the other. I face that side away from myself grab one end of the free thread and pull it away from the bag a little. If you've got the right side, you will see that the thicker double thread pulls away and you can see a couple of thinner stitches holding it onto the bag. Cut two of these stitches with a sharp knife and unravel the line of stitching.

This works for me every time and with every different brand i have tried so far. A sharp knife is important as if you pull on the thread a little before cutting it can tighten up and not unravel. Cutting two thin threads instead of one seems to help too.

that must be a pain in the arse on stocktake day.

I just use my physchic mind powers and BAMM!

Each malster has a different end, you find the loop where the thread meets the bag and cut thru. But as per Kai, you need a sharp knife and never pull tight the threads...

JW's is opposite to Barretts, Wey is the same as Barretts

I loved the IMC (now some other name) BIG arrow with open here, and they never put the bags in the sewing machine arse about either.
The other method is to hold bag over malt bin and slash - bit like Chappo's method but a touch less dramatic

MHB

Wow - never knew there was a preferred/proper knack to it. I just use a stanley knife and hack it off.
Cheers
Steve

Back