How Much Priming Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddy09

Reaction score
G,day all Just wanted to know a few tips from you more experienced fellas. i,ve done about half a dozen brews,all in bottles and all have been coopers lager,which i think tastes fine. however i have been using the carbonated drops to prime the bottles and the brigalow dextrose 1kg sugar [from coles]. i heard the carb drops can make it a touch fizzy like coke which i have found,not that its a major trouble,but just wondering what you reccomend to ease this a little? is normal white sugar better? and also what would be the best choice for type of sugar to add to the wort and prefered yeast? thanks anyone for any advice.Really enjoying brewing me own,great hobby and even more fun drinkin it!!!!! Bottoms Up :icon_chickcheers:

I use the bulk prim method, as I am tooo lazy to add sugar to each bottle.

Dextrose is the best.

When I was doing kit and kilo, I used about 160g 180g per 25L

It is interesting, now I do all grain, I used to use 180g per 25L and found it was super over carbonated, and have dropped it to 100g 115g per 25L much better, however it does take about 3 4 weeks to be ready. 180g is ready to go in 10 days, but becomes over carbonated after 5 weeks making pouring a bit difficult, if it lasts that long.

I have found that even if you under sugar, it will carbonate, but take a while longer but over sugar and you will get either over carbonation or boom bottle bombs

Just use the sugar or dextrose for bulk priming, but you must dissolve it in some boiling water first to make sure it gets into suspension in an even manner.

The head on a beer is to do with more than just what you prime with.
Go to the articles section on this site and read the article on 'getting head' or something like that.

It has a range of ways to improve head retention, and most of the techniques will improve to beer in other ways.

Come to think of it there is also a section on bulk priming, check it out too as it is a KISS approach.

Good luck

Marlow

I use one of those sugar measures with the two ends, one for stubbies, one for tallies.

Using caster sugar, it tends to carbonate at the top of the range with a standard measure, so I've carved the recess down to about of standard, and it gives me a decent but not excessive carbonation.

oh oh!, ive run out of drops to prime with and i only have brown sugar in the cupboard..anyone know if brown is ok to use??..help.

Brown sugar as in raw cooking sugar or brown sugar as you put in your coffee, if the type you put in your coffee then it will be fine.

Gavo.

Back