How Much Pressure Is Too Much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galamus

Reaction score
Gday guys, I've decided that for christmas i want to take some brew home for the family. I used to bottle and bulk prime to carbonate however now that i have taken up kegging i want to fill bottles from the keg. basically what i want to know is how much pressure is too much, i want to carbonate in the keg at 2C to a pressure of 11PSI to attain my ideal conditions. However obviously during transport the bottles will heat up(possibly into the mid to high 20's), pressure will build etc. I have google searched what pressure a bottle will stand with no results. Has anyone had any problems with bottle explosions after keg carbonating?

Edit: Am also thinking of doing a wheat beer carbonated to 4.0 (24PSI at 2C)

If the bottle can hold that many volumes of CO2 from bulk priming, it will hold it when bottled from a keg - the pressure will be the same with either method as there is the same amount of CO2 in there.

Out of curiosity, will you be using a counter flow filler? How do you fill the bottles from a keg without losing Co2 from the solution?

You've probably seen beer not refrigerated on the shelf at the bottlo.
Champagne as well.

You won't have any probs

I have a Blichmann Engineering beer gun, thought I'd go all out as I've seen people bottling with counter pressure bottle fillers and it looks like you need an extra hand to operate it. Therefore I'm going to over carbonate by about 2 PSI to account for losses during bottling and then use that.

Thanks Phonos I suppose i just dont trust bottles, there is obviously a yield stress for the bottles im just curious as to what it is.

I have a Blichmann Engineering beer gun, thought I'd go all out as I've seen people bottling with counter pressure bottle fillers and it looks like you need an extra hand to operate it. Therefore I'm going to over carbonate by about 2 PSI to account for losses during bottling and then use that.

Cool, try to chill the bottles to the same temp as the beer and maybe try a length of hose on the beer gun to make it reach the bottom of the bottle. When I do mine (rare as I only have taps on the fridge door) I do it over a bucket so that I can 'over-pour' and let the head run over the outside of the bottle.

Thanks for the advice, I have an esky somewhere around the place which should do the trick.

In theory its a great idea, but saying that it seems filling bottles is a real pain in the arse. These CFC are expensive and from what im hearing they are also painfull.

Your probably better off just picking up a case of some good beer from Dans and save the hassle.

Take your bloody fridge :D This is what im considering when the build is done, for Christmas :p

If you have a beer gun, keg, regulator and esky all you need is a soda stream adapter, soda stream Co2 cylinder and some Ice and you'll have BYO beer on tap. Pretty much what I am taking to a mates place on Sat night.

Back