How many times to no-chill in a cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzer

Reaction score
So I've been no-chilling my last 3 batches in a jerry can 20l cube. When I add the hot wort and close the lid it swells quite dramatically to the point I close the garage door and run for it :)

Quick question how many times do you use a cube before retiring it and moving on? or is there no real issue with the constant swelling & retracting?

It shouldn't swell dramatically, but this is why you push all the air out to so there isn't any major air expansion going on.

I've got cubes that are a few years old with no problem yet.

You are squeezing out as much of the air as possible aren't you?

It sounds like you aren't...as the hot wort is causing the air pocket to expand.

Apologies if it's another cause, but mine don't swell so long as there's next to no air pocket.

"What he said" would've been quicker to type.....

for me, not other reason than there $6 a cube, I replace em every couple of years.

bollox to that.. its taken me ages to stretch mine to hold 25lt :lol:

I stupidly left a cube (thought it was cleaned) for a little while and I noticed it was developing "spots", a quick look inside told me it was going mouldy.. piff it? NFW!! currently soaking in 1 of 3 solutions that will go through it.

Ive only ever had one infected cube (from a leaky tap) and it's my fave now, it swelled up that much both from the infection and the cleaning that it holds almost 26lt :ph34r: :lol:

I was nervous about using it again, so I put a beer I made for SWMBO in it to test it... which has now been drunk :beerbang:

best... cube... eva!!

I'm still using my original cubes from when I started no-chilling in 09. They have a few more good years left.

QldKev

Yob said:

I stupidly left a cube (thought it was cleaned) for a little while and I noticed it was developing "spots", a quick look inside told me it was going mouldy.. piff it? NFW!! currently soaking in 1 of 3 solutions that will go through it.

Ive only ever had one infected cube (from a leaky tap) and it's my fave now, it swelled up that much both from the infection and the cleaning that it holds almost 26lt :ph34r: :lol:

I was nervous about using it again, so I put a beer I made for SWMBO in it to test it... which has now been drunk :beerbang:

best... cube... eva!!
NOthing a bit of bleach bombing doesn't fix.

Go to Super cheap auto, you can get 25L cube like (with the small lid) there in the SCA brand. Go next time it's on special or with your club plus card.

mmm using a 20l willow jerry can, quite hard to squeeze the air out. Maybe I need to be no-chilling in something else.. ?

Yob said:

best... cube... eva!!
Blitzer said:
mmm using a 20l willow jerry can, quite hard to squeeze the air out. Maybe I need to be no-chilling in something else.. ?
Bunnings 25L cubes for the win. No need to stretch!

Blitzer said:

Use your knees. Upright, wearing pants, towel between the legs if you are a wuss. Cap on almost tight, squeeze the cube and quickly seal as the liquid gets to the top.

The other way of doing it is one knee and a wall behind. The heat softens the plastic and makes it supple so you should be able to do it. To get pressure build up you must be agitating it a bit. They can split but my experience of themn doing so is if they have been over exposed to UV light.

manticle said:
Use your knees. Upright, wearing pants, towel between the legs if you are a wuss. Cap on almost tight, squeeze the cube and quickly seal as the liquid gets to the top.

The other way of doing it is one knee and a wall behind. The heat softens the plastic and makes it supple so you should be able to do it. To get pressure build up you must be agitating it a bit. They can split but my experience of themn doing so is if they have been over exposed to UV light.
Two knees.....like a man!! :beerbang:

Blitzer said:
Many people here will be using the same cubes, myself included.

When filling, I angle the cube using a piece of wood under one side, so I'm filling the high side. This eliminates most of the air pocket.

Then with the filled cube between your knees (stood over it), screw the cap most of the way on. Then squeeze the sides between your knees until it almost overflows and tighten the cap.

Move over, Wolfy, there's a new how-to guru in town !

Ha ha...that's funny!

I swear your post wasn't there when I started writing, Mant

Between the knees sound dangerous... hot wort on skin = not good.

I find the corner of a wall, cube (which isn't a cube, it's more of a stretched rectangle) against it... knee in, tighten cap - done.

Spiesy said:
Between the knees sound dangerous... hot wort on skin = not good.

I find the corner of a wall, cube (which isn't a cube, it's more of a stretched rectangle) against it... knee in, tighten cap - done.
see I use my foot to push the side, I have Japanese work boots on, so when I feel my toes blistering I know all the air is out :)

Latest posts

Back