How many times to no-chill in a cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
672856_bridget.jpg

Spiesy said:
Between the knees sound dangerous... hot wort on skin = not good.

Only if you're an idiot.

I'm not saying you are - just that it is really easy NOT to burn yourself when cubing.

manticle said:
Only if you're an idiot.

I'm not saying you are - just that it is really easy NOT to burn yourself again when cubing after you inevitably burn yourself the first time.
FTFY

I pretty much do what Danwood does and find that works pretty well and quick.

Re - the Willow cubes, I bought 4 jerry cans and returned all of them because the caps leaked. It seems that in situations where there is near boiling water poured into them, the plastic distorts and I found that I couldn't get the caps to seal.

And back on topic. I have been no chilling in the same 4 cubes for almost 12 months and still come up looking like brand new. Just make sure you clean them straight away and keep them out of the sun.

been using the same cubes for the last 4 years, only ever had one swell and that was my own stupid fault.
must of been trough 50 cycles now each cube at least

manticle said:
Use your knees. Upright, wearing pants, towel between the legs if you are a wuss. Cap on almost tight, squeeze the cube and quickly seal as the liquid gets to the top.

The other way of doing it is one knee and a wall behind. The heat softens the plastic and makes it supple so you should be able to do it. To get pressure build up you must be agitating it a bit. They can split but my experience of themn doing so is if they have been over exposed to UV light.
Or just put it against a wall and press with towel covered foot and put on cap.

I no-chill my cubes exactly once per brew. You guys are over-complicating it.

Back