How Low Have You Gone With Grain:water Ratio?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I normally go 2.5kg/kg in my tun, but i've been playing around with step mashing, and i find i sometimes run out of water in the last step. For a step mash i drop it to 2litres:kg. Anyway, has anyone gone lower than that?. I was thinking of 1.5 litres per kg, but im not sure if its too thick.

I once did a step mash with somewhere around 1l/kg at the beginning. Was like thick stiff porridge, but was only for 10 mins. One of the best beers I've ever made!!

Cheers!

I once did a step mash with somewhere around 1l/kg at the beginning. Was like thick stiff porridge, but was only for 10 mins. One of the best beers I've ever made!!

Cheers!

Do you run the risk of the mash becoming too thin if you put a few steps when raising the temps by infusions with boiling water? I've only got a cooler mash tun so not really able to heat the mash directly (or recirulate).

JD.

Do you run the risk of the mash becoming too thin if you put a few steps when raising the temps by infusions with boiling water? I've only got a cooler mash tun so not really able to heat the mash directly (or recirulate).

JD.

Full mash volume brewers ( biab, braumeister ) use full volume mash & this is usually in the range of 6 litres/kg +.
I once did a 2.5l/kg mash & it was ok but ended up getting a stuck mash when splitting my batch sparge volumes in half.
I now have a Rims system & I want a nice thin mash, 3.75l/kg for me. I will be step mashing & mashing out without any water additions.

Sorry to be a little off topic but how much thinner should a mash be using about 15% Rye?

I usually go with 2.5L/KG for a normal mash but I know Rye tends to gum things up a bit...

Back