How Long Until My Yeast Is Gone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recommed they are shipped with gel ice packs and packaged as well as possible to keep Aust post at bay.Better to buy in the cooler months and have it shipped then use at your leasure during the heat.
GB

good advice!

Spoke to Ross, and turns out I was just being an idiot. Because I've never used these before I assumed all the packs should be the same size, this pack is a Belgian yeast and it was double the size of the others, Ross attributed it to the fact that the yeast just found nutrients that the other yeasts can't/don't eat (being a high attenuation strand). Now I know so all is good.

(I was going to delete this thread because I don't think AHB is a place for flame between distributors etc. But I reckon someone else new to liquid yeast might find it helpful. )
I am glad you sorted it out.Now to make this clear for one and all there is no flame here, There is only one way to ship Wyeast and it is made VERY clear by Wyeast as follows.

SECONDARY SHIPPING- Retailers and Wholesale Distributors who sell Wyeast Laboratories Retail
Packaged Liquid Yeast via mail order or resell via shipments to other retailers must follow shipping
guidelines as directed by Wyeast, including use of insulated packaging, gel ice, and shipping methods
which insure delivery within 48 hours. Failure to follow these guidelines voids this product warranty.
End quote
So you see I am selling wyeast in the way it should sold .End of story.You buy it not shipped with Gel Ice at your own risk.
GB

You buy it not shipped with Gel Ice at your own risk.
GB

We don't need Wyeasts limited 6 month guarantee as we personally guarantee the yeast we sell.
Any Wyeast we sell that doesnt fire, will be replaced free of charge, no arguments, regardless of age.
At worst we'll shortly be supplying gel packs as well as the current bubblewrap if requested, but we are working on something that we believe will be better.

cheers Ross

We don't need Wyeasts limited 6 month guarantee as we personally guarantee the yeast we sell.
Any Wyeast we sell that doesnt fire, will be replaced free of charge, no arguments, regardless of age.

cheers Ross
Ross Not much consolation for the brewer when goes to pitch and his yeast and it doesnt work.As I have said I have been selling wyeast for years and have only had to replace one smack pack.I think those Wyeast Shipping guidlines are there for a reason.If I read your statment correctly and I appologise if Im wrong you are going to sell out of date yeast and personally guarantee that as well ?
Cheers GB

I for one am a bit over this retailer "mine's bigger than yours" crap. Leave it to the customers to report good or bad service.

Ross Not much consolation for the brewer when goes to pitch and his yeast and it doesnt work.As I have said I have been selling wyeast for years and have only had to replace one smack pack.I think those Wyeast Shipping guidlines are there for a reason.If I read your statment correctly and I appologise if Im wrong you are going to sell out of date yeast and personally guarantee that as well ?
Cheers GB

GB,

Icepacks certainly help & as I keep repeating, we will have them available shortly for those that wish to use them.
They have very limited effect though without adequate insulation & as I've said, we are working on something (if it comes off) that we believe will work much better. The bubblewrap they currently get sent in, appears to be quite adequate from ALL the feedback we've had.
.....& yes, we will be guaranteeing any out of date yeast we sell....assuming we ever have any B)

cheers Ross

GB,

Icepacks certainly help & as I keep repeating, we will have them available shortly for those that wish to use them.
They have very limited effect though without adequate insulation & as I've said, we are working on something (if it comes off) that we believe will work much better. The bubblewrap they currently get sent in, appears to be quite adequate from ALL the feedback we've had.
.....& yes, we will be guaranteeing any out of date yeast we sell....assuming we ever have any B)

cheers Ross
Thats Great Ross Im sure Your customers and Wyeast will be happy to hear it.
GB

I have been selling Wyeast for a few years and have not seen this before , so far I have had to replace one smack pack due to unknown spoilage.Not a bad record I would say.

I've had this happen occasionally with WYeast purchased from WA retailers. I've got a pack of 3711 in the fridge that has swolen of its own accord since purchase late last year.

I've had 1056 swell so large that I couldn't pop the inner package. All have been stored in the fridge as soon as they arrived home.

That said, I've always just used them. They kicked off straight away in a starter, and produced perfectly fine beer (IMO anyway).

I'd always just presumed that this happens with some WYeast packs, either due to incomplete fermentation, or the yeast working slowly on leftover nutrients. I've never bought it up with the retailer as I didn't think it was an issue?

Latest posts

Back