How Long Until My Yeast Is Gone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojai

Reaction score
I received a parcel of 3 liquid yeast smack packs today. One was already starting to swell when I unwrapped it (or I could have 'smacked' it while unwrapping it, I'm not sure as it was pretty swollen when i noticed and I've never used smack packs before to know how long they take).

Anyway, how long do I have before I have to use the yeast?

And secondly, as I'm awaiting grain from the SA bulk buy and Beerbelly have gone AWOL, where, close to Adelaide city should I get enough grain for this one batch?

Or is there a better way of preserving the yeast for a week or so?

Kind regards,
Joseph :)

I received a parcel of 3 liquid yeast smack packs today. One was already starting to swell when I unwrapped it (or I could have 'smacked' it while unwrapping it, I'm not sure as it was pretty swollen when i noticed and I've never used smack packs before to know how long they take).

Anyway, how long do I have before I have to use the yeast?

And secondly, as I'm awaiting grain from the SA bulk buy and Beerbelly have gone AWOL, where, close to Adelaide city should I get enough grain for this one batch?

Or is there a better way of preserving the yeast for a week or so?

Kind regards,
Joseph :)

It might not be popped (smacked) can you feel the nutrient pillow inside? Sometimes the packs will swell if they are a bit old of have been warm. Just whack em in the fridge, or smack and wait. If you are making a starter, depending on how big a starter you want (how many times you want to step it up) it can take up to a week before it's ready for pitching.

Screwy

I'm not totally sure if I can feel the nutrient pillow, it hasn't swollen up any more since it's been in the fridge and it's not massively bigger than the other 2. The yeast is marked June 20, so it's pretty fresh yeah? Or is that old in yeast terms? Reckon I'll make up a starter anyway just to be sure, thanks for the help Screwy :)

June 20 is quite young.

I'm not totally sure if I can feel the nutrient pillow, it hasn't swollen up any more since it's been in the fridge and it's not massively bigger than the other 2. The yeast is marked June 20, so it's pretty fresh yeah? Or is that old in yeast terms? Reckon I'll make up a starter anyway just to be sure, thanks for the help Screwy :)
Was it packed with Ice gel cells ? Should have been, and at least wrapped in bubble wrap or better..Aust Post can be savage on items not sent by express post.The yeast is about half way through its expected use by life of 6 months so you should be ok but if your sure its popped get the yeast working soon.You can keep it in the fridge to slow the swelling.
GB

That's pretty bad if its swelling by the time you receive it in the mail! Means you pretty much have to use it straight away, which can throw a spanner in the works if its not what you planned to do. Fine if you ask the retailer to smack it for you, but if not something's gone wrong! Where did you get it from?

edit: I agree with Gryphon re the ice packs. I would never buy liquid yeast on mail order unless properly packaged with ice cells.

That's pretty bad if its swelling by the time you receive it in the mail! Means you pretty much have to use it straight away, which can throw a spanner in the works if its not what you planned to do. Fine if you ask the retailer to smack it for you, but if not something's gone wrong! Where did you get it from?

edit: I agree with Gryphon re the ice packs. I would never buy liquid yeast on mail order unless properly packaged with ice cells.

Don't be so quick to blame the retailer. About 4 or 5 years ago Wyeast was rushing the yeast into the packs before it was completely done fermenting. The result was smack packs that swelled on their own without the need to rupture the inner nutrient bag. I had the misfortune of getting a few of them. If I could rupture the inner bulb, the pack would sometimes burst a few days later. I actually ruptured the outer pack on one just trying to burst the bulb because it was so swollen.

Maybe they're having production isues again?

True, that's certainly a possibility (although your case is the first I've heard of it happening). I suppose the key will be whether the nutrient pack had burst or not.

Express your concerns to your retailer. You should be able to get a refund or a new sachet. If you can't be bothered or are prepared to do the work yourself, you could make a starter to ensure viability. Keep it in the fridge in the meantime.

I had an out out-of-date discounted smack pack recently that started swelling. It is now in a fermenter with 3 inches of krausen. I just kept it cool in the fridge until a day before I pitched. Apparently no harm done.

An ice pack wasn't really necessary since it's so cold down in SA. I got it from Ross, I tried calling him first but got his message bank hence why I asked here. It was bubble wrapped and I doubt it was Ross that burst it, I'd say it was the courier or me when I was unwrapping it since it hasn't swollen up much at all. I'll make a starter later on today (after going to uni). Should be good, at least I'm being forced to make a starter rather than being my usual slack self :)

Don't be so quick to blame the retailer. About 4 or 5 years ago Wyeast was rushing the yeast into the packs before it was completely done fermenting. The result was smack packs that swelled on their own without the need to rupture the inner nutrient bag. I had the misfortune of getting a few of them. If I could rupture the inner bulb, the pack would sometimes burst a few days later. I actually ruptured the outer pack on one just trying to burst the bulb because it was so swollen.

Maybe they're having production isues again?
New Guy Are you using Wyeast now ? This could have been possible, I notice that was 4 or 5 years ago.Wyeast has changed its packaging at least 3 times I can remember.I have been selling Wyeast for a few years and have not seen this before , so far I have had to replace one smack pack due to unknown spoilage.Not a bad record I would say.
I recommed they are shipped with gel ice packs and packaged as well as possible to keep Aust post at bay.Better to buy in the cooler months and have it shipped then use at your leasure during the heat.
GB

An ice pack wasn't really necessary since it's so cold down in SA. I got it from Ross, I tried calling him first but got his message bank hence why I asked here. It was bubble wrapped and I doubt it was Ross that burst it, I'd say it was the courier or me when I was unwrapping it since it hasn't swollen up much at all. I'll make a starter later on today (after going to uni). Should be good, at least I'm being forced to make a starter rather than being my usual slack self :)
You said it was dated June 20 ? Ross only started selling Wyeast a few weeks ago ? When I order from the USA my yeast arrive only a week old. :huh:
GB

Cold in SA. Fine. But the yeast pack went from Qld, where it would have had a few hours in the post office, then in a truck going to the sorting house. Was the sack it was in over the exhaust?? In the sorting house for a few hours, another truck, the cargo section of a plane, blah blah, into the posty's pannier in the sun, your doorstep, etc etc. Ice packs will keep the yeast near 0C. All this variability in temperature is not good for the yeast.

I'm not having a go at Ross. He's keeping the cost down, which is all good and well if price is your primary focus. I just like to know when I pitch my yeast that it's been kept at optimal storage temps for the whole time from release from Wyeast until I pull it out of my own fridge to smack it. Even when I bought White Labs from ESB in Peakhurst, I'd take a cold satchel and ice pack for the 40 min ride home in the car.

Joseph
What strain is it that is swollen partially already? Some strains will tend to swell a little by themselves, I have found that with the berliner strain, the fat tire strain, and several others that tend to have a bit of a penchant for doing that. I have never had a problem with using htese yeasts sometimes 9 months after the production date. If you are in no real hurry to use it, then just wait. If it isnt swollen too much, then just feel around for the little lump inside and you will probably feel it - they are difficult to smack at the best of times, so I find it difficult to believe that the courier burst it.
Worst comes to it, just use a starter, and not worry about smacking it. I have always found yeast to be remarkably resilient.
All the best
Trent

Joseph
What strain is it that is swollen partially already? Some strains will tend to swell a little by themselves, I have found that with the berliner strain, the fat tire strain, and several others that tend to have a bit of a penchant for doing that. I have never had a problem with using htese yeasts sometimes 9 months after the production date. If you are in no real hurry to use it, then just wait. If it isnt swollen too much, then just feel around for the little lump inside and you will probably feel it - they are difficult to smack at the best of times, so I find it difficult to believe that the courier burst it.
Worst comes to it, just use a starter, and not worry about smacking it. I have always found yeast to be remarkably resilient.
All the best
Trent

I'm with trent, if it's only swollen a little then yes a few strains tend to do that. And the bloody things can be a real bugger to burst, on the kitchen bench squeeze the pack up into one corner and push down on it with the side of your palm. The packs are able to expand quite a bit, I doubt that it would be so swollen that you would burst it. As Trent says, just have a 2L sanitised container ready (plastic 2.4L juice bottle is good or an old fashioned gooney) with a litre of cool boiled DME wort at around 22, sanitise the top of the pack and snip the top open using sanitised scissors, pour the yeast into the container of wort. If the nutrient pack has survived then after adding the yeast to the cooled (22) wort snip open the yeast nutrient pack (inner) and pour that in as well, or if you prefer leave that nutrient out and boil another 500ml of DME wort with some fresh yeast nutrient added and when cooled add this to the container.

I still have a pack in the fridge that arrived in the condition you described, was fresh then, now its a few months old and hasn't changed a bit.

You said it was dated June 20 ? Ross only started selling Wyeast a few weeks ago ? When I order from the USA my yeast arrive only a week old. :huh:
GB

July 7 was when Ross started selling Wyeast. Not that bad a turn around mate.
Also, if the yeast has a 6 month lifespan as you say, it's only 7 weeks old. Not really half way there like you said.

New Guy Are you using Wyeast now ? This could have been possible, I notice that was 4 or 5 years ago.Wyeast has changed its packaging at least 3 times I can remember.I have been selling Wyeast for a few years and have not seen this before , so far I have had to replace one smack pack due to unknown spoilage.Not a bad record I would say.

Yes, I still use Wyeast but I have a fridge full of White Labs vials because I won them at comps.

This was 2004 - I'm pretty sure it was 2004. I know that they were having production issues because a friend got it straight from Wyeast (grudgingly) after he raised holy hell with them about it. He had received a few self-swelling packs too and was none too pleased about it. At that time the packaging was pretty much identical to what it is now. The only difference is the way the manufacturing date is marked on the pack. It used to be embossed into the top lip and now it's printed on the front. The package artwork, size, layout, etc was the same then as it is now.

Also, if the yeast has a 6 month lifespan as you say, it's only 7 weeks old. Not really half way there like you said.
I was speaking in general terms and not being anal.The point being made is that it has a six month use by date if stored and delivered properly.Not my rules ,Wyeasts.
GB

Spoke to Ross, and turns out I was just being an idiot. Because I've never used these before I assumed all the packs should be the same size, this pack is a Belgian yeast and it was double the size of the others, Ross attributed it to the fact that the yeast just found nutrients that the other yeasts can't/don't eat (being a high attenuation strand). Now I know so all is good.

(I was going to delete this thread because I don't think AHB is a place for flame between distributors etc. But I reckon someone else new to liquid yeast might find it helpful. )

Latest posts

Back