How long does your wort take to chill ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralphstralph

Reaction score
SO how long does your wort take to chill via copper wort chiller ?

i fear that the water i use thru my out side tap is not cool enough to chill quickly .
the longer it takes to chill does this present off bitter flavours and chance for infection to set in ?
:unsure:

Last question first Ralph, you'll notice that the most dramatic drop in temp is in the first few minutes when using an immersion chiller. (helps if you stir the wort for a fews seconds as well) so you won't get more bitterness. Also infection risk is about how you manage the wort post-boil, keeping the wort covered whilst chilling will be a big help. (I use a clean T towel over the lid of my kettle because the chiller pipes stick out the side)
I brewed yesterday and, using very cold tank water, the wort was at 16 degrees in 30 minutes, in summer this will take longer and will hit what ever the tank water temp is (maybe 22 degrees) I didn't check yesterday but I know from experience that the wort will drop to 70 degrees in approx 5 minutes.
This time of year the water is plenty cool enough to chill with but will vary depending on where you live. If you can only get the wort down to the 30 degrees range then store in a fridge if possible to get the temp down a bit more.

As Razz said above, keep it covered ( I use a BIAB Bag soaked in acid sanitiser ) If you're struggling to chill sufficiently, then grab a 4-5m length of copper 1/2inch tube and make a second chiller coil. Add that in-line to the water supply hose, close to where your pot is chilling and drop it into an ESKY with a few ice blocks & some water. That will pre-chill your tap water before it hits the kettle to cool it and will make the temp drop out much faster and to a lower temperature during summer. Whirlpooling during the chill will more than double the speed at which the wort chills (depending on set-up).

Hope this helps.

Martin

I can get my wort from 100c down to 30c in about 10mins where i then remove the IC and whirlpool manually, put the lid back on and let that settle out for 10-15mins while i get the FV ready. When its time to transfer the wort is clear and trub has all settled out.

I have tried to get it to pitching temps but it was becoming a waste of water, So i tried a pre chiller in freezing water and that made little difference so i just chill to 30c, transfer and let the fan forced fridge bring it to 18c, which only takes about 3hrs where I can add O2 and pitch the yeast.

I agree with ^ ^ that teh whirlpooling will drop your temps much faster.

Latest posts

Back