How long does carbonation last when not on the gas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollster101

Reaction score
Hi all

I have started playing around with fermenting under pressure and have just finished the CC on my second beer using this method. This morning I did a closed loop transfer from fermentasaurus to corny keg and then tried a bit of the beer that was left in the 'saurus. It tasted fine to me and was nicely carbonated.

I already have 3 kegs on gas in my kegerator and cannot fit the fourth from this morning in. I am curious to know how long the keg from this morning would retain its CO2 if it was just kept in another fridge without gas.

Would it be like soda bottles and make no difference as long as the keg is airtight and chilled? Logically in my head I would say yes but any advice from the community would be great.

Cheers

Yep, assuming there aren't any leaks in your keg, its a closed system, you shouldn't lose any CO2. Would be worth maybe giving the keg a squirt of CO2 just to make sure there's pressure to keep the lid sealed.

Yep, assuming there aren't any leaks in your keg, its a closed system, you shouldn't lose any CO2. Would be worth maybe giving the keg a squirt of CO2 just to make sure there's pressure to keep the lid sealed.
Magic, thanks for the advice re a squirt of CO2. I will do that.

there is also a temperature function that if you are storing non-cooled you need to keep in mind.

As the temp inside the keg changes the amount of gas in solution vs the air space above the beer. So if you store it warm, give it a few days once you chill it back down so you get the right level of carbonation in the beer.

Ok so you're going to drink the leftover in the fermentasaurus first?

That is the best way to do it because there is probably oxygen that was displaced from the fermenter during the closed loop transfer that ended up in the fermentasaurus.

I had an issue where I half-filled a keg, closed loop transfer, with leftover carbed beer from the kegmenter.

I puged, using my conventional pressurise and bleed a few times method.

Unfortunately, there was enough oxygen left in the headspace of the only half-filled keg that the beer got oxidised.

I have since started filling the entire keg with no foam phosphoric acid and then purging with CO2.

Something to keep in mind if you ever need to clear any leftover beer from the fermentasaurus into a keg so that the fermenter is ready to go again.

Back