How Long Can We Keep It On Shelf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Tiger

Reaction score
Hi all, new here, just wondering how long can we keep our beer on shelf when botteld. Does it go off, how long can u shelve it for. Just doing my first micro brew coopers lager.

Cheers AT

I have kept beers from my 1st brew which was about 2 years ago and they were quite good actually...very surprised.

Most of my beers in my kegs are anywhere from 6 - 12 months old before the keg is empty and they are generally all still good.

But to be honest this is one of those "how long is a piece of string" type questions. it depends on the beer, the conditions and what you like.

Anyway i'm sure others will have other answers and suggestions.

Cheers, Pok

Welcome aboard AT.

In answer to your question, it depends. Generally speaking beer is not a long term cellaring option (there are some exceptions though) and while beer improves with time from bottling, there is an optimum period before it starts to go stale.

Storage conditions will greatly influence the length of time your beer will be worth drinking. Practically, stable temps around below 18 degrees for bottles will see good shelf life. Big fluctuations and high temps are to be avoided wherever possible.

As you brew more you'll find that temperature control is one of the most important things.

cheers

Grant

It also depends on the beers, light coloured beers tend to have a shorter shelf life than dark and heavy beers. I tend to drink the lighter beers within 6 months, the heavy and dark beers can sit well for over a year.

Not even starting with the flemish sour ales and lambics, that's a different story, they need long to mature.

If you can keep them dark and cool you should have no trouble.

I certainly agree. Also, the degrading of the flavour always is a slope. Light beers such as wheat beers I ahve to consume within about 3 months- after then it ebcomes noticeable. Stouts on the other hand, I've had some awesome 7 month old bottles. You'll learn all this by experience, but as a rule of thumb, I don't let beer get past the 9 month mark.

so maybe some guides would be helpful
eg i have no idea if this is right but
pale ales drink within 6 months
belgian strong darks after 6 months

Oldest homebrew i've tried to date was 3 1/2 years old, and even though it was a good quality Belgian strong dark ale, it had certainly seen better days. Having said that, it took an entire year in the bottle to become 'good'.
As opposed to certain simple kit lagers i've brewed that were ok after a week, good after a month, better after 2 months, then went downhill.

It's been said in the posts above, but certain beers will age better than others.
Naturally, stronger beers will store better, and often develop with age.
Particularly hoppy beers will tend to mellow with age too.
As with most dark beers, seem to stand up quite well to extended periods of bottle conditioning.
Going by these things, one would have to say a beer of standard strength, considering low hops and pale in colour, is best drunk now, rather than left to condition.

Having said all of this though, it was helps to have a good place to condition beers anyway. Somewhere devoid of light, with a constant and low temperature and humidity. A 'cellar' of sorts really.

Most of my beers in my kegs are anywhere from 6 - 12 months old before the keg is empty and they are generally all still good.
HOLY CRAP, I have 4 kegs in my set up and the longest a brew has lasted in one of them was about 4 weeks.

HOLY CRAP, I have 4 kegs in my set up and the longest a brew has lasted in one of them was about 4 weeks.

That would be because I have so many damn kegs, and it is generally only me drinking from them. Combine that with all the wine that gets consumed in my house its not so bad. .... oh and I was away for a good 2 - 3 months of that time..... Now to fill all the kegs again (have 10 x 18 ltrs empty + 6 x 9 ltrs)...

Now to fill all the kegs again (have 10 x 18 ltrs empty + 6 x 9 ltrs)...

HOLY HOLY CRAP!

:huh: And I used to hold my 1.5L Grolsch bottles in such high regard. Now I just feel like a little little man :(

Yep got a total of 12 x 18ltr, 8 x 9 ltr and 1 x 45 ltr (333 Ltrs!!!) Thats alot of beer!!!

WOW!
Im impressed and some how feel inadequate (still bottling)
I was going to go to keg when I moved house in a few weeks but what you've got is like mega bucks worth of gear and if I start with 3 or 4 kegs, well, how embarrassing to have such a small aresnel. Me thinks time for new plan. :icon_cheers:

Daz

hehehe I have to say I was lucky enough to get all my kegs for pretty darn cheap. Each of my 18 ltr keys cost around $40-50ea and my 9 ltrs cost be $40ea. So all were a relative bargain. Thats why I have so many. and the 45ltr job cost me like $20.... but it had no posts and they were like $45 from the LHBS...so ended up a little exie.

WOW!
Im impressed and some how feel inadequate (still bottling)
I was going to go to keg when I moved house in a few weeks but what you've got is like mega bucks worth of gear and if I start with 3 or 4 kegs, well, how embarrassing to have such a small aresnel. Me thinks time for new plan. :icon_cheers:

Daz

GOOD WORK!!!

That's a lotta beer

GOOD WORK!!!

That's a lotta beer

If they were all full it would be alot of beer...at the moment it is alot of air.... got to buy some more fermenters and get them full!! only got 2 going at the moment...will take months to fill them all!!!

Back