How I stepped up to AG for $50

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosysBrews

Reaction score
As the title suggests I have just made the plunge into AG BIAB, thanks to the generosity of a few people on this site I have managed to step up for a cost of about $50. I am sure the many on here have much better systems and any advice is appreciated as always however for ages I was thinking that I didn't have the money to step up to AG brewing, but pulling together a bunch of advice on here and other sources I managed to get it all running pretty well.

The set up:
19lt Big W pot (Thank you to bazfletch3) who also chucked in some swiss voile that is my bag
Corona Mill (Thank you to goomboogo) I know many say the crush is not great but it works, also free workout with brew day!
Copper imersion chiller made for a 6m coil from masters for $30 ish
A pong pump that I am running to an esky I already had with an ice slurry in it ($20 ish at masters)
That is pretty much it.

Used the system today was aiming for 18lt at 1.045 using the below recipe, end up getting about 21lt at 1.040 (was to eager when adding water to the FV and accidently added too much).

3.5kg JW Trad Ale
0.1kg JW Medium Crystal
20g Cascade @ 60, 15, 0, and will dry hop on day 5
1/2 a whirlfloc tablet
Mangrove Jacks West Coast Ale Yeast (First brew with it so interested to see how it goes)

All in all a succesfull brew day, yes I will be limited to smaller OG beers for now but I am stoked to of made my first AG without to many stuff ups or headahces.

Good on you bud! You will never look back now. I've just brewed my 6th BIAB brew last night a beautiful schwarzbier my second one because the first one was amazing! Beer is so much nicer with AG

Grats, it's not such a huge leap is it? So much fun and satisfaction ;)

Keep an eye out for a cheap birko and your away to full volume ;)

Yob said:
Grats, it's not such a huge leap is it? So much fun and satisfaction ;)

Keep an eye out for a cheap birko and your away to full volume ;)
I was really surprised at how easy it is, time consuming yes, hard no (at least to get into it at least)

Good on ya mate no looking back now. I was put off going ag for a while looking at peoples blinged out stainless herms rims fully automated systems which just looked way beyond me but starting out simple it all starts to make sense

Welcome to the dark side. After several hundred brews I often get to a point in the brew day when I think ... "is that all there is to it, did I forget something? this is just so simple and easy".... :)

Yeh birkos are great - I second that.

Ive been brewing for about a year and I haven't got a chiller or any of that fancy mill stuff. Off to a good start!

Back