How Do You If You Wort Has Gone Off?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXXX Brewer

Reaction score
I'm getting a bit of a sour smell from my wort as it's fermenting. Is this normal or is it going off? If so can I save it?

Cheers

I'm getting a bit of a sour smell from my wort as it's fermenting. Is this normal or is it going off? If so can I save it?

Cheers

More details needed. Yeast. Wort ingredients. "Sour" - like vomit :icon_vomit: Not sulphur like ?

More details needed. Yeast. Wort ingredients. "Sour" - like vomit :icon_vomit: Not sulphur like ?

Used english Ale yeast (from craftebrewer). Ingredients Pale Malt, Medium Crystal and Roasted Barley. Definately not a sulphur smell more like a sour cream smell without the cream.....I can't really explain except to say it's sour.

Pitched yeast on Sunday has had about a 48hr lag time. Wort kept in temp controlled fridge at 18dC.

Just ferment it out. Some ale yeast throw some wild smells. Just let it go and bottle or keg it and see what its like. All the hard work has been done.
48 Hour lag time is a bit sus, this stuff would normally go nuts.

Steve

Just ferment it out. Some ale yeast throw some wild smells. Just let it go and bottle or keg it and see what its like. All the hard work has been done.
48 Hour lag time is a bit sus, this stuff would normally go nuts.

Steve

Yeah I kind of stuffed the yeast...I tried re-hydrating it but I didn't let it cool down enough. It was around 55-57dc whenI put the yeast in the water to make a slurry...Iknow, I know , blood idiot....but hey it's my first time. As soon as I realised my mistake (5mins later) I dumped the yeast in the wort to cool it down and hopefully save it.

After asking around a bit I was advised to see how it goes but even though I may have killed a lot of the yeast I may not of killed all. Soit started to bubble yesterday arvo....I think it's still touch and go.....still not to sure whether to put some more yeast in.

The sour (cream) smell could be lactic acid, ie. infected but I agree with the "wait and see" approach. If nothing else you can still learn stuff from this brew.

And you may have accidentally created a nice Belgian sour ale - Flanders Brown? :icon_cheers:

If you are rehydrating yeast, it is essential you follow the manufacturer's directions. Temperature is critical. 55 degrees has probably killed most of your yeast. MHB has posted in the past that the people that had the most problems with their brews are those that rehydrate.

Fermentis instructions on rehydrating

Lavlin dried yeast FAQ is also interesting to read.

There are plenty of dried yeast rehydrating directions around which you can google up from different dried yeast manufacturers.

It is best to just sprinkle on top of the wort if you don't have the time or a decent thermometer.

48 hours is way too long. By this time any wild yeasts will have had a field day.

Yeah I kind of stuffed the yeast...I tried re-hydrating it but I didn't let it cool down enough. It was around 55-57dc whenI put the yeast in the water to make a slurry...Iknow, I know , blood idiot....but hey it's my first time. As soon as I realised my mistake (5mins later) I dumped the yeast in the wort to cool it down and hopefully save it.

After asking around a bit I was advised to see how it goes but even though I may have killed a lot of the yeast I may not of killed all. Soit started to bubble yesterday arvo....I think it's still touch and go.....still not to sure whether to put some more yeast in.

I'd say the yeast is cactus. If the initial heat didn't finish the job, the thermal shock from dropping it into wort 30-40 degrees cooler certainly would've.

I'll go against the grain and say that the yeast wasn't viable enough to stave off infection - which is even more likely seeing the 48 hour lag time. Tip it - save your bottles and chalk it up to experience.

The next one will turn out better! :icon_cheers:

It was around 55-57dc whenI put the yeast in the water to make a slurry...

At that temperature the yeast would be killed. It sounds like you have a wild yeast infection now, perhaps taste the beer and if it is undrinkable dump it. Disinfect your fermenter before you use it for a new batch.

As osme have said, let it ferment out. Rack into a cube and taste it before carbonating.If you are bottling it there is nothing worse than cleaning bottles and later on finding out thta it is :icon_vomit: f#&*#d. Alternatively, keg it and carbonate, not much time is lost in that process.

BYB

Just taste it. If it tastes like it smells why waste time leaving it until its fermented out. If its gaawwn its gaawwn, dump it and get another in the barrel ASAP.
Cheers
Steve

Yeah I kind of stuffed the yeast...I tried re-hydrating it but I didn't let it cool down enough. It was around 55-57dc whenI put the yeast in the water to make a slurry...

Holy Crap. :icon_vomit:

Back