Should I Try again??

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifis101

Reaction score
I bought a Sarsaparilla kit recently. After all these years I never even knew they made it. Anyway, it turned out to be a bit of a fizzer. Not much activity, so I turned the temp up and that got it going just a little bit. I gave it extra time in case it was just a slow burner. It tastes alreight but I really think it hasn't brewed much alcohol at all, so I was considering getting it out of the fridge, pitching some fresh yeast and brew it again in the keg. Will this work or will I just ruin it?

I've never brewed one of these, but I suspect there's not much in there for the yeast to feed on.
I'd suggest you need to feed your yeast with some yeast nutrient for it to get going.
Others may have better ideas.

It was the Colony West branded kit. I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure the only thing in the kit was a small 200mlish bottle of essence and the yeast. I added 1kg of raw sugar.
At first I just thought maybe it was an old batch of yeast but the lady at the brew shop told me she sells a lot of it, so I assume this is probbably not the case.
I have made Colony West ginger beer a couple of times over the years in the same way without any issues.

If anyone is interested in the flavour, I found it to be reasonably mild and almost cokeish.

Maybe they're old kits! Yesterday I mixed up a ginger beer. Same brand kit as the Sars and I bought it at the same time. Next day and it still hasn't started brewing.
I can only think of one other time in many many years of brewing that this has occurred and now twice in three brews. I brewed a Canadian blonde after the Sars with no issues.

Latest posts

Back