How Do I Tell How Fresh A "fresh Wort Kit"is?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks 4 that. And $40 including saf yeast would be good value compared to some I`ve seen.

staggalee.

What would be an average cost to make the same beer myself assuming I bought everything for it at a sensible price and there was no freight costs involved?

staggalee.

Including the cube & sticker?

:p

Just a thought to Scotty
Is there no other way to pack a FWK. Something like a wine bladder in a cardboard box seems to me a way to transport this stuff around. I have no experience in this field at all but I guess a bladder would be cheaper. Just a thought.

Always happy to look at options, and I know Mel @ ESB and Coopers did the bag in a box type many moons ago. The cubes are, as a former salesman of 64 bit computing would say, 'reliable and redundant.'

They are hardy (i.e. can be dropped and kicked across a warehouse floor), easy to handle (they have a handle) and are made to stack. I have looked at bag in a box for a consult customer who wants Real Ale Sydney-wide and the cost just leapt out. There are many Real Ale guys doing a bag in a box in the UK, but with freight the $$'s came out to $11 a box compared to about $5.

In the early days before i used pallet strapping, I had a pallet ship North that seemed to rock n' roll around a truck. Even with being belted the cube survived, a beer maker enjoyed a kit slightly worse for wear but none the less not damaged.

But I am still perplexed by some in this thread. All wort packs are mash brewed regardless of the supplier. I am horribly vacant at the thought that they are a 'close' equivalent - they are f*&ing mash brewed! Are we talking about the length of a fleas penis here???? HeyJus give me strength.

Scotty

But I am still perplexed by some in this thread. All wort packs are mash brewed regardless of the supplier. I am horribly vacant at the thought that they are a 'close' equivalent - they are f*&ing mash brewed! Are we talking about the length of a fleas penis here???? HeyJus give me strength.

Scotty
Scotty,

Keep up the good work mate. I think it's a coupe of things:

1. The mindset of "it took me 6 hours to make this AG" vs "it took me half an hour to pitch this FWK", the brewer has more emotion invested in the AG.
2. The brewer can make an AG more closely fit their personal tastes whereas the FWK has been made to fit a wide variety of tastes.

I make my own gluten free FWK's at work (from our standard brews) to keep the taps on my kegfridge running as I have stuff all time to home brew from scratch atm. The resulting beer is tastier than the stuff we sell (no filtering or pastuerisation at home) but I could make tastier beer doing AG at home as I can tailor it to suit my taste buds - mmm ESB, triple, dunkelweizen all gluten free : wish I had the time!!!

It's my birthday and I'll rant if I want to.

Cheers, Andrew.

Edit : spelling, having a few relaxers.

well scotty I have a FWK of yours in my fermenter at the moment. It is going crazy at the moment and I cant wait to taste the result. This thread has gone a bit crazy I was going to do an extract brew before I found this FWK in the HBS. I spent just as much on the extract gear as on the FWK So I cant complain about the price.

staggalee: thats pretty much what I was trying to do. A pretty simple pale ale recipe, from somone selling ingredients at pretty standard price, came to $33, so I think $30-35 is a pretty good range for your standard grainbill (ie no light beers, and no huge hope monsters, or anything big and belgian or that requires a huge amount of grain and a fancy yeast ;))

Andrew

Why are you stopping at home - i am contacted weekly by folks who suffer from the Gluten Bugs and cannot consume normal beer.

Lets remember the brewer stuffs around for about 9 hours and $35-$45 for 2 cases of beer is still damm cheap.!

Scotty

Back