How Do I Tell How Fresh A "fresh Wort Kit"is?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeintmba

Reaction score
Hey all...I found another home brew shop today tucked away in an industrial area here and went in for a look. I found a 17lt Samuel's Summer Ale wort kit under a bench and bought it. I am now wondering how old this kit is. I could not see anything on the container to indicate a use by date etc. Is there a way to find out?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I plan to start fermenting this one tomorrow with Safale04

Where was the shop?
The turn over on these are pretty high so you shouldn't have to worry!
:)

Beware We have wort kits being sold in WA produced by home brewers.Not to say these are bad but no sanitary controls (WA Legal) are evident or labeled.Go for one of the recognized brands.
GB

Really where? Id like to try one for a laugh

I could not make a quarter decent wort kit at a home brew level that would be financial worth the time or effort. Economies of scale need scale.

Put one of these down today, but was a bit concerned for the same reason... No refridgeration, for the wort or the yeast or the Cascade "tea bag" hops on the shelf... Is this normal and OK, or should I find another place to shop?

As the producer of the said kit this would be less than 2 months old by recollection.

Would you refrigerate your Jam, or tomato sauce unopened?? All are made in a similar way with heat as the main sterilizer.

Enjoy your beer,

Scotty

MMM...the no chill thread..

Scotty is right, the heat is the sterilizer

As long as everything is sanitized properly, and kept sealed, they should be good for months...just like jam, tomatoe sauce, preserved fruit, beer, etc..etc

MMM...the no chill thread..

Scotty is right, the heat is the sterilizer

As long as everything is sanitized properly, and kept sealed, they should be good for months...just like jam, tomatoe sauce, preserved fruit, beer, etc..etc

Stu is right ...... but the 'months' should be 'years'

You can expect them tostay fresh for anything like 2 years - provided they have not been stored in high temperatures or in the sun ie 'out the back' is ideal but 'inthe shop window' wouldn't be.

Enjoy.

Dave

Thanks for the replies. I cant wait to get started on this kit. If I like it I hope I can get some more local.

Cheers
Michael

I did one that was over a year old and it was one of the best beers I've made :) (pity I didn't really make it lol)

How about someone doing an accurate cost comparison between fresh wort kits and making the same thing for yourself at home? {or trying to}
Not that I do AG, but interested to see that after seeing what my local hbs charges for fresh wort kits.

staggalee.

Just for you Stagga

15L FWK including yeast. dilute to max 20 for lower OG.
Total $37-40

AG
20L
4-5 kgs grains $9-12 if you bulk buy. $20 if you don't.
Yeast $2-11
Gas $2.50
Time 4-6 hours

Total:$13:50 to 33.50.

I haven't calculated my brew costs for a year but realistically it is more like $20-25$ per batch around 22-30 Litres.
Depending a little on style.

Ta matti
It`s interesting to see the diff, as the local bloke is charging almost $43 without yeast, add a decent dry yeast at his price and you get les than $2 change out of $50.

staggalee.

Ta matti
It`s interesting to see the diff, as the local bloke is charging almost $43 without yeast, add a decent dry yeast at his price and you get les than $2 change out of $50.

staggalee.

Bugger that, the missus would go nuts if I paid for that!
I wouldn't be too happy either, it's still cheap seeing as you will get almost two cartons of nice beer out of it but still.

Most with my AG's now I pay for is about the $25 (I think). Have yeast slants now so that will drive down the cost again, enough hops for a while and now just need a bulk grain buy and I'll be set (although don't have a mill. :( )

Ta matti

staggalee.

Not worth it IMO. I brew a final volume 30L of concentrated wort, same as the wort kits. Always nice having a selection ready to ferment when you are ready.

Cheers.

Just for you Stagga

15L FWK including yeast. dilute to max 20 for lower OG.
Total $37-40

AG
20L
4-5 kgs grains $9-12 if you bulk buy. $20 if you don't.
Yeast $2-11
Gas $2.50
Time 4-6 hours

Total:$13:50 to 33.50.

I haven't calculated my brew costs for a year but realistically it is more like $20-25$ per batch around 22-30 Litres.
Depending a little on style.

Never tried a FWK but reckon that your approximate costs regarding AG are in the ball park matti.
What with bulk buying grains, splitting a smack into 4 to 8 parts --- (Depending on the availability of my tubes) --- and that's only first generation, I reckon you are not far off the mark.
Another extra markup for an AG'er is the cost\amount of hops involved per brew which depends on whether you are a hophead or not? :lol:

TP :beer:

Another extra markup for an AG'er is the cost\amount of hops involved per brew which depends on whether you are a hophead or not? :lol:

Absolutely. I did a cost break up of a brew in another thread some time back, just happened to be on a brewday following a purchase and I had all the details at hand. It included all the hops, yeast (retrieved from slurry, so estimated based on original split, and number of generations), etc. Everything bar the water. Came in at just under $15 from memory, for my regular Mild. Brewing a lot of low gravity, low hopped beers (Milds, Ordinary Bitter, and the occasional Best Bitter), really drives the price down. Although, I don't brew them cos they're cheap, I brew them cos they are my favourites.

Have not tried a FWK myself, but can absolutely see how it would be worth it if you were really stuck for time and stock, or more importantly, for the k&k or extract brewer who is considering the plunge into AG and wants to see the difference.

Ta matti

staggalee.
Matti, as TP pointed out, there`s also the cost of the hops for the d.i.y.
I guess that could be anything from $6 to $10 average?
Reigns it back a bit. :eek:

staggalee.

Latest posts

Back