How Do I Clean A Voile Bag?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Alchemist

Reaction score
I found some nice voile fabric for my second BIAB brew, but I've run into a small issue: I can't figure out the best way to clean my bag. The best I could figure was to let it dry completely so the grain would come out, but it's not all out of there. Should I try to boil it so it doesn't matter, throw it in the laundry, or what? Thanks!

I found some nice voile fabric for my second BIAB brew, but I've run into a small issue: I can't figure out the best way to clean my bag. The best I could figure was to let it dry completely so the grain would come out, but it's not all out of there. Should I try to boil it so it doesn't matter, throw it in the laundry, or what? Thanks!

I dump my grain out the back yard for the pigeons, so on the way back I peg it on Mr Hill's hoist and hose it untill all the hot break and grain is gone. Then I dry it out.

About every ten brews I soak it in napisan and rinse throughly.

Lots of people bung it in with the clothes wash, but since mine isn't "sewed" the spin cycle tends to fray it too much.

clean it :huh:
who does that! lol
I just use it, empty the spent grain, and give it a quick blast with the hose, getting the majority out, then a quick shake, and put away.

BTW - using dark spec malts will stain it FOREVER!

i dump the spent grain on the garden and let the sparrows spread it for me then hose the bag on the clothes line and if i am keen in the washing machine without any soap or bleach and air dry till next time.

Thanks all. What I ended up doing this time was dumping the grain, letting the bag dry, then brushing all the grain out that I could (which was a significant majority of it). Then I boiled some water and dipped the bag all around in it to extract anything remaining (there was a decent amount left, as the water was cloudy in the end). I then hung it up and sprayed some sanitizer on it, then let it dry again. After a number of uses, I'll probably throw it in the laundry by itself, but this seemed to work pretty well.

I usually put mine in a bucket of water in the laundry tub. However... this last week, my 3 yo daughter assumed that the bucket was for her pooey underpants and she lobbed in a shitty pair of jocks with my bag WTF?????? I ended up giving my bag a good rinse and an overnight soak in nappysan, the dark stains (from roast barley!) came out and it was virgin white again. Yippeee. Aftr that it got a machine wash just to be sure.

Hose it, let it dry and shake off loose grain then drop it in the washing machine without powder etc.
When it starts to stain I drop it in Nappysan over night.

I sometimes brew with a bloke (We'll call him QLDkov for anonimity) who doesn't wash his bags at all but a believe he has recently purchased a sewing machine so he can make his own new bags :D

After throughly rinsing everything in the laundry sink I put the bag, hopsock and my hoisting rope in the washing machine on quick cycle with ordinary detergent. A couple of times I've absent mindedly lifted the lid at the rinse cycle and put in a dose of fabric softener :p

I hear using them with the seam on the outside makes them easier to clean as the bits tend to get stuck in the seams.

I usually put mine in a bucket of water in the laundry tub. However... this last week, my 3 yo daughter assumed that the bucket was for her pooey underpants and she lobbed in a shitty pair of jocks with my bag WTF?????? I ended up giving my bag a good rinse and an overnight soak in nappysan, the dark stains (from roast barley!) came out and it was virgin white again. Yippeee. Aftr that it got a machine wash just to be sure.

Hahahaha sorry mate but that gave me a big laugh

Seams! Wow you guys go all out don't you! - I just hose mine down occaisionally...

I hear using them with the seam on the outside makes them easier to clean as the bits tend to get stuck in the seams.

When I was doing BIAB, I just put in the washing machine, inside out, with some unsented napisan. did't have a problem

Yeah I took Bribie's excellent advice and I put my bag and my hop sock into the wash on a delicate cycle with half the amount of detergent I'd normally use on the short cycle.

Comes out really clean.

Dump grain, hose it out, then drop it in the laundry basket. Magically appears again two or so days later nice and clean, with washed and folded clothing. No idea how that happens!

Dump grain, hose it out, then drop it in the laundry basket. Magically appears again two or so days later nice and clean, with washed and folded clothing. No idea how that happens!
Ahh the Laundry fairy again,,Fantastic, might try that one :lol:

I usually dump the grain in the vege patch then turn inside out and hose off,then hang out to dry.If it gets too stained,just soak in unsented Napisan and rinse or throw it in the wash, comes up a treat..Ready for the next fine brew..Rod

Back