How Do I Brew Tooheys New?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont really get what youre saying bjorn, are you seriously or just jokingly suggesting that the OP of any thread can just delete what they dont like ? While I would like to see less bitching and babbling on threads, especially new brewers threads, a pick & choose system of censorship is a little bit creepy, because it would allow for some good information to be lost if it was delivered in a way considered disagreeable to the OP.

i know a brewer (wont name names :p) who brewed a beer like new but tasted heaps fresher and little more hop flavour. but it was a all grain recipe and not sure if he added it to the DB

I was thinking about this a bit before, so I will post, now that we are back on the subject of cans.

I used to use the Coopers Cerveza cans a lot. They are kind of just like extra pale extract plus a few bland IBU thrown in. I would recommend using one of those plus some bits and bobs to make a beer like New, or even a better one (whoah hoss).

As others have said, forget anything that a can tells you, it will not get you closer to good beer - it is like the first Jedi test of homebrewing or some shit - "let it go".

My "recipe" for 23L:

1 x Coopers Cerveza goo can
500g Dry Malt Extract (DME)
1kg Dextrose
100g carahell - do a little steep and boil the strained liquid for 5 mins with the following
15g hallertau

1 pack rehydrated US05
Ferment 18 degrees, or even start cooler and let it get warm after a few days of healthy fermentation.

Again, as others have said, there will be no magic bullet, but I reckon that everyone here could pull out a similar recipe and it would get you into the ballpark, and teach you the basics of making good beer. It is the same with everything in life - you can't use only packet mixes to re-create the authentic product. You might make something close. You might learn some stuff, and forget why you loved New in the first place. I will say that after some bad early experiences, I never drank New. More recently I have drank it with some of my dad's mates, and I think you could do better, but you could also do worse.

i know your just starting but I done a nice beer about a month ago it was extract and something like this. It wont taste like new but nice drop for aussie beer lovers

25lt batch

1kg amber dry malt extract
1.5kg light dry malt extract
250g carahell steeped
250g carapils steeped
24g pride of ringwood (flowers) @ 45min
14g pride of ringwood (flowers) @ 10 min
US-05 yeast

leave at least 4 weeks in bottle the amber malt was a bit to much at first but after a month taste good. or you couls just put 500g amber and 500g more light or substitute all amber for light or maybe wheat (never tried wheat yet)

I was thinking about this a bit before, so I will post, now that we are back on the subject of cans

Nice way to pull it back into what we should be using this forum for. The making of beer. Well done :) The coopers cerveza cans are great because they are so light and underhopped. A handy local supermarket-sourced base to build a beer upon, so for an extract brewer all you need is a stockpile of hops, a few decent yeast packs, a big tub of DME & Dextrose and a handful of spec grains. Shop at the LHBS twice a year, and buy your cerveza cans every month as you need to make a new batch.

I was thinking about this a bit before, so I will post, now that we are back on the subject of cans

Nice way to pull it back into what we should be using this forum for. The making of beer. Well done :) The coopers cerveza cans are great because they are so light and underhopped. A handy local supermarket-sourced base to build a beer upon, so for an extract brewer all you need is a stockpile of hops, a few decent yeast packs, a big tub of DME & Dextrose and a handful of spec grains. Shop at the LHBS twice a year, and buy your cerveza cans every month as you need to make a new batch.

I started reading through this and by the second page, got sick of all the sh*t being flung back and forth, by f*ckers obviously tampering with themselves too much, so this may already been posted.
Before I got a 'taste' for over hopped beers I used to make a quaffer something like this:

1 tin Morgans Queenslander Gold
1kg brew booster/BE2
steep 1 teabag of MB-89 or CL-80 (old name I think) for 20 mins
Made up to 20L
Brew with the yeast under the lid

Have a crack at it, if you like megaswill, this should hit the spot.

Cheers

I started reading through this and by the second page, got sick of all the sh*t being flung back and forth, by f*ckers obviously tampering with themselves too much, so this may already been posted.

I know what you mean, its a bloody joke. But its getting back on track, which is the important thing. What is MB-89 or CL-80? Steeping a teabag would suggest hops? If its a late addition then that's already outside of the corporateswill category. I dont even know how I would go about making a tooheys clone even with my Ag hat on. If I had a go, I would do a 3/4 Pils Malt mash on the low temp range, add dex for alc & thin body in line with the batch size, ferment low, lager it for a month, then filter the bejesus out of it with one of those 1 micron homebrew filters. Strangely, its probably harder to make a bland clone than it is to make a legendary, tasty brew.

Teabags are those little 12g packs LHBS sell for dry hopping, steeping etc, just chuck the bag in.
MB-89 or CL-80 was a Cluster/POR blend (80% Cluster I think, but now I'm guessing).
Cheers.

Grab an empty bottle & unzip your fly. Once the bottle is full, put a crown cap on & seal the bottle. :ph34r:

No need, Boozer. You're right and this is nothing new here - look back through all the old posts, it has happened since day dot. Why? It is a terrible beer. I wonder if OP goes to a classical French cooking board and asks for advice on how to make a Big Mac?

Plus there's thousands of instances where this question has been asked before and helpful answers have been given almost as often as people have been told to piss in a bottle, dilute with water and leave it in the sun a few days - and he's asked this question twice now already.

Nah, trolling as in abusing someone asking in earnest a "beginner" question..? Nothing of that kind here, right?

He wants to make a standard pub beer and is told to piss in a bottle and that the beer is crap. Does he go to a fancy cooking school and asks about making BigMacs. He shouldn't ask a beginner question in a beginner forum, he should read and only ask what has not been asked before (my favourite misunderstanding about what a forum is for).

No way that would be taken the wrong way, right.. ;)

Now that the thread is back on track, I agree wholeheartedly with using the Mexican kits for some basic experimenting, they have the base light-coloured lager qualities with clean, low bittering.

The Coopers Mexican kit is good for lager clones and the Coopers Pale Ale probably not a bad one for ales as baseline kits to experiment with, being only 22 and 18 IBUs (from the kit spreadsheet).

thanks
Bjorn

I'll ignore the fact that you've removed the quotes entirely from context - even let you pretend your point makes sense and just address what you suggest is actually "on topic" (since never straying from topic is clearly your biggest passion). Read the thread. Read it again. Notice the parts where he points out he wants to achieve his aim with Big W products only. You and pretty much everyone else has been ignoring OP completely and just saying what you would do (more so "pretty much everyone else" rather than you. All you've said is "I like Coopers Mex Ceveza!!!"). Whereas I am one of only 2 people (apologies if I haven't remembered that correctly) who has limited their advice to fasty's terms. And somehow I get dealt the "useless troll" card again because I don't put so many smilies in my posts that it looks like some lunatic threw a bag of skittles at the screen.

STFU. Stop posting.

OK, cool. So like I said in another thread, I have taken the electric blanket out from under my fermenters and put it under my bottled brew to lift them up from 15 to 24 degrees. My fermenters should now run at about 15.. is this good and how long do I leave in the fermenters at 15? The "can" says 1 week but some say 2 weeks is better. What do I do?
WTF, 15c on the goldcoast? You lucky *******. I'm struggling to get 16c average in mid winter in my sydney garage.

Back to the point. You'll be using an ale yeast in those Tooheys kits. Ale yeasts slow down under 18c, and are pretty slow at the 16c mark.
The extra week can't hurt it. That usually gives the yeast a chance to flocculate (laymans terms - "grab all the cloudy bits and drop them to the bottom, leaving a clear beer").

You mentioned earlier (or in another thread) you don't know how to use the Hydrometer. I'm not sure if there's anything up in the articles link at the top of this site, but I'll give it a go.
1. Make your beer.
2. Put your hydrometer into the test tube it came with
3. Pour some through the tap into it until the hydrometer floats.
4. Wait until the bubbles settle... give it a spin.
5. Take the reading. Going off your Standard knk recipe, it'll be around 1040. (1000 is the reading for normal water)
6. DRINK SAMPLE (honestly, are you gonna chuck beery goodness down the sink?! that's crazy talk)
7. Let beer ferment, take as many readings as you like over time. DRINK SAMPLES.
8. Your hydrometer will slow down round 1008 (give or take a few points).
9. When it's stable for a few days and hasn't changed, it's ready to bottle.

This is a lot more accurate than an airlock. Use it, but don't pay any attention to it.

On Supermarket kits - you've got an okay range to try. I prefer the Coopers over the Tooheys, but theyre all fun experimenting with.

For some more beginner tips, www.Countrybrewer.com.au (no affiliation) have some clone recipe sheets, tips and stuff, and a hydrometer alcohol chart for you to work out the rough percentage of your kits.

Hope this info helps.
Pete

Hehe, the skittles comment was really funny, made me laugh out loud!

I'll get you back at some point :D

thanks
Bjorn

Now that the thread is back on track, I agree wholeheartedly with using the Mexican kits for some basic experimenting

There's nothing in particular that makes the product mexican. Apart from the espanol word cerveza on the label, which literally translates into english as beer.

There's nothing in particular that makes the product mexican. Apart from the espanol word cerveza on the label, which literally translates into english as beer.
"mega comida para cerdos" is the machine translation of mega swill to spanish.
I'll ask my peruvian rello - she may come up with a better one.

Hi Fasty

A few months ago I made this, it was easy and it's turned out quite drinkable. You might like it too. Firstly, do you live near a homebrew shop? You need to get a better yeast than the ones with the kits. It's a little more expensive but you get better beer!

1 x Coopers Lager can
1 x Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 (called BE1 on the forum)
1 x US-05 (yeast from homebrew shop)
1 x Pride of Ringwood (finishing hops from homebrew shop) (Optional, but good.)
Top up to 23L H20

BTW: I suggest you don't use an electric blanket (except on your bed!). I'm not sure where you live but you probably don't need any heating now anyway. In winter I use a fishtank heater ($15 Big W). But not in the beer, put it in a large basin and put your fermenter in that.

Happy brewing!

Thanx Swill!!! I am going to go to the Capalaba home brew shop next weekend. I am starting to use BE2, now I want to get some of this US-05 that everyone is talking about!!!

Latest posts

Back