How Decieving Is It To Empty The Keg For Next Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was at a kegging mate's place and he has a set of bathroom scales next to his fridge with a couple of charts stuck to the side of the fridge re kegs and CO2 cylinders reading "Full ... x kilos.... Empty ....y kilos"...

At the time I thought "that's a bit anal" but reading this post ............. :lol:

Was only thinking of doing something similar today, only i was just going to write the empty weight on the side of the keg....
Perhaps i should do a "Full Weight" as well...

Leary

I use 50 liter kegs and they are shocking for this.

You rock the keg and it lifts easily and you thing...... crap its almost empty. So the next night you line up the next batch to filter and keg it and the bloody keg lasts 3 more nights of getting carried to bed.

these days i try and have a keg carbed and ready in the fermenting fridge so when she blows i just swap the keg out and keep going

cheers

Was at a kegging mate's place and he has a set of bathroom scales next to his fridge with a couple of charts stuck to the side of the fridge re kegs and CO2 cylinders reading "Full ... x kilos.... Empty ....y kilos"...

At the time I thought "that's a bit anal" but reading this post ............. :lol:

That is a great idea. I have a set of scales in the shed for grain etc, so it wouldnt be too hard to weigh the empty kegs.

I like it when you take a keg to a party and get somebody who has never poured a beer before and they empty it. I have my work Xmas party this weekend that i am doing a few kegs for. it is with a whole group of people who have slowly been converted to craftbrewing over the past 2 years, but have never had kegs. it should be interesting.

Oh well, 3 weeks to the day since I filled and carbed my first 2 kegs and both of them blew this afternoon :angry: , was really enjoying a few beers too, lucky ive got a couple bottles to drink to get me through..

Ive got 2 brews that wont be ready to go into kegs until Sunday.. :( Shit, still got 2 empty kegs that need filling aswell to have as back-ups...

You'll have to stagger your drinking of the kegs better next time so that only 1 goes in a night. That way you still have the other to finish off at a later date.

That is a great idea. I have a set of scales in the shed for grain etc, so it wouldnt be too hard to weigh the empty kegs.

My rules of thumb:
Empty 19L corny the ones with rubber handles and base weighs about 4 1/2 kilos (to the nearest 1/2kg)
19L ones with metal handles and base are about 6 1/2 kilos.

Buy more kegs... :p

Back