How Decieving Is It To Empty The Keg For Next Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I thought the keg was nearly empty but 4 pints later of six % Weizen and I still have not finished it dont think I will be in a fit state to filter my APA tonight Hic

Pumpy :D

The story of my life pumpy....

"ohh the temp strip is all white... she should have nothing left."
Several beers later and a hangover the next morning and shes still got enough for tomorrow night and the night after!

The story of my life pumpy....

"ohh the temp strip is all white... she should have nothing left."
Several beers later and a hangover the next morning and shes still got enough for tomorrow night and the night after!

I thought it was just me Fourstar.I am on my fifth pint now so will have to filter into the keg tomorrow night still it was good fun tryingto empty it

pumpy :)

yeah same here. i wonder if its something you get better at estimating. ive only been kegging for a year now and know to expect that there is always a little more than i think.
joe

Been there done that.

Only solution.

GET MORE KEGS....

On second thought it dosen't help.

Shit I'm out of ideas.

FROGMAN.....Trying to empty a keg for tommorow...................................

Im no expert, but I filled my first 2 kegs 3 weeks ago and for the last 4 days have been waiting for each one to blow, its just not happening yet.. I wonder how full they are when you can easily lift them with 1 hand??? The suspense is killing me with each schooner I take out... :unsure:

Always think im near the end and it takes 2 days to blow out

Always think im near the end and it takes 2 days to blow out

Unless, of course, you think you've got plenty left and invite some friends around for a drink :(

Was at a kegging mate's place and he has a set of bathroom scales next to his fridge with a couple of charts stuck to the side of the fridge re kegs and CO2 cylinders reading "Full ... x kilos.... Empty ....y kilos"...

At the time I thought "that's a bit anal" but reading this post ............. :lol:

I'm the opposite always go to pour the perfect beer and the ******* foams up in my glass empty

Murphy's Law Pumpy, Murphy's Law. Murphy's Law states that a keg of beer that you are really enjoying and want to hang onto for any reason will suddenly blow without warning. Murphy's Law also states as in your case, that when trying to finish off a keg because you need it, it will miraculously keep expelling beer until you realise that you should have let it blow naturally.

cheers

Browndog

I have this happen all the time. Each time I say to myself, I am not going to fall for it next time :p

Kabooby :)

I have ended up smashed many a time thinking theres only a pint or 2 left in there. But after 4 or 5 I wonder why I ever though to empty the keg that night.

The surest way to have an empty keg is to set out some bottles to pour into, vent the excess pressure and start pouring nice and slowly. Then about half way into the second bottle, you end up with masses of foam.

Seriously, my kegs only stay full for a short while, and seem to stay at what I estimate to be 6 litres of beer for ages. Got to be Murphey's Law in action.

Pumpy - maybe your keg is the homebrewing version of this fella:

Magic_20pud.jpg

Oh well, 3 weeks to the day since I filled and carbed my first 2 kegs and both of them blew this afternoon :angry: , was really enjoying a few beers too, lucky ive got a couple bottles to drink to get me through..

Ive got 2 brews that wont be ready to go into kegs until Sunday.. :( Shit, still got 2 empty kegs that need filling aswell to have as back-ups...

Back