How 'bout A Suggestion..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
HI All,

I have an ESB 15L ale kit in my laundry, waiting to go down into a primary. I want to wait a touch until I KNOW the weather is a little less warm. However, I also know that I won't have enough beer to keep me going before the weather changes - so a couple of brews have to get put down along the way (bugger).

I sort of stocked up on a bunch of things, willy nilly over the last few weeks and have:

1 x Ross' packet of Saaz Hops
1 x Ross' packet of Cascade Hops
1 x Ross' packet of Tettanger Hops
1 x 16g Morgans Cascade Finishing Hops
1 x 16g Morgans Hellertau Finishing Hops

1 x 1kg Morgans Lager Malt can
1 x 1.7kg Std Coopers Lager can
1 x 1kg brew booster (500g Dextrose, 250g Light Malt, 250g Maltdextrose

1 x Saflager Yeast
2 x Safale Yeast

1 x Hell of a Thirst

Assuming I can keep this next brew at 15-18deg, what would make a good mix of this stuff - I'm happy to get a new/different can of goop, upon suggestions!

Thanks all.

Cheers - Mike

1 easy suggestion to start with Mike, fill in your location. There may be a brewer nearby who could spend some time helping you out.

Cheers.

Yep - fair enough! :beer:

Cheers - Mike

Excellent, send a PM to Tseay if you are keen to get involved with the Hills Brewers Guild. A good bunch of guys keen about beer B) I am in Baulkham Hills and if you are interested then come around one weekend and I'll show you AG brewing.

No chill of course :lol:

Cheers.

MVZOOM,

you felt the 'force' of the Hills brewers guild didnt you ???

Like souls, lost in the 'craft' near to you, calling you to join in the cauldron stirring...(or Gerard got in your ear)

My suggestion....

...get another fridge and thumb your nose at mother nature and brew when you want to.....Nth Qld dont count

All else failing....

1.7kg can
1.0kg can
safale
16g Morgans Cascade Finishing Hops(coffee cup method/boiling water)
30g Ross' cascade dry in 2ndry

should be a 'decent' APA at 18oC

The 'Force' in strong in the Hills Linz, especially with Master Yoda Gerard overseeing things :lol:

Thanks Gents,

Havn't yet felt the force from the hills - to be honest, that scares me somewhat.... [hears banjo music wafting from the M2 entrance] ;)

Naah, although Gerard's been a great help, I've been dabbling for a few years - probably as Dad's been brewing and distilling for over 20 years and my Mum does wine (an aquired taste) too. I'd always done straight K&K before and am revelling in new ingrediant / methods and knowledge.

Actually have a fridge that drops to roughly 10deg or so (another saga), so will get that thing moving in Winter and will do a couple of decent lagers from there.

Linz - I'll go with that, let you know how I fare!

Cheers - Mike

Alright boys.

Put this one down tonight, as per Linz's suggestion.

Also put some rubber sealer stuff around the offending seals in the 'big problem fridge' and after putting a thermo probe into a milkbottle, into the fridge (with the fermenter of course).

Popped a timer on it and I'll leave it overnight to see how it fares. Also have 8 PET bottles in the freezer, incase it needs some help.

It may yet be my brewing fridge!

Cheers - Mike

I am stuck in brewers heels acres in Auburn......would hills brewer accept an "Infidel", who is only a kit and kilo man, from Auburn, into their mist????

Guys,

THis one's a bit funny. I put it down as per Linz's suggestion, the only difference is that it's running at about 16.5-17deg C.

OG was measured at 1045 and I calculated via the beer SG calculator on the 'net that it should be 1044.

I racked 3 days ago and the SG has been steady (prior to racking, and now) at 1015. The FG should be around 1005 or so - seems like it's hung?

I only used one pack of Safale for 22l - should I have used more? What do you think could be the problem - and more importantly, what's suggested to try and rectify?

Thanks - Mike

Zoom - if it was me I would take it out of the fridge and let it get up to room temp, leave it another 4 days and then take a reading. Sounds like its pretty much done at 1015. I only use 1 packet for 23l batches. Relaaaaaaaaaax man!
Cheers
Steve

Heh, heh - Steve - I'm not a very relaxed person!

Is that bringing back to room temp for a 'dylactal' (spell) rest? Is it worth just kegging it now and leaving it to rest?

It tastes absolutely fantastic already. The best brew I've ever done!

Cheers -Mike

naaaa you only do a rest when you're using lager yeasts....you're using ale.
Cant answer the kegging question though. Maybe take another reading tomorrow and if its still 1015 I would say its done. I normally leave mine in secondary for 7 days.
Cheers
Steve

Mike,

If you used the kit and all malt (ie. no dextrose) then I don't think you'd get below 1010 as the malt is not going to ferment out as much as dextrose.

Somewhere between 1010 and 1015 sounds about right based on the kits I've brewed using malt only

Rich

Latest posts

Back